Destiny

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
Fateh_Jeet
New User

Destiny

Post by Fateh_Jeet »

Sat Sri Akal,

I am curious to get some opinions on the matter of destiny. In Guru Granth Sahib Ji, it is often mentioned about "pre-ordained" destiny. I am not very familiar with Gurmukhi script.

"Pre-ordained" destiny. Does this mean that our destiny is already written? Or, does it mean that, when we are born, we start off with a clean slate and as we grow and mature in life, we write our own destiny with our actions?

It would be of great help if this message could be clarified.
Truth1
New User

Re: Destiny

Post by Truth1 »

There is in reality, no past present or future, so in reality-we just Are- in the Nothingness.

However, in this khel, we predetermine our own future, on behalf of the deeds we have commited. We have been blessed with free will.

Gurbani says accept Karam, we must pay off every single bad deed comitted, whether it was slandering n gossiping about our lovely peace loving neighbour, or beating up the person who annoyed us last week. We also pay off good deeds committed. When we practice Truth, we pay off our karams quickly and create even better divine karams for ourselves. E.g someone who's practiced Truth from the heart with love for years, may end up meeting an amazing Guru/ Sangat and serve them, and be blessed to serve the universe.

However many fall off the path and a bhagat could be a crazy mass murdering general in their next janam.

Thats whu Gurbani says we sow what we reap.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

Fateh_Jeet wrote:I am curious to get some opinions on the matter of destiny. In Guru Granth Sahib Ji, it is often mentioned about "pre-ordained" destiny. I am not very familiar with Gurmukhi script.

"Pre-ordained" destiny. Does this mean that our destiny is already written? Or, does it mean that, when we are born, we start off with a clean slate and as we grow and mature in life, we write our own destiny with our actions?

It would be of great help if this message could be clarified.
I know that my post and that of Truth1 as well may not be answer to your question. It is true that ''pre-ordained destiny'' repeatedly appears in SGGSJ. Learned Sikhs may be able to explain it from Sikh perspective. My own understanding of ''preordained destiny'' is an indirect message to people to follow righteous path of good deeds ensuring better destiny for your future, which will naturally and automatically reform your present as well. Up to some extent it is also in line with your understanding highlighted in blue in your post above and also with a verse from Bhagvad Gita.
It is written in Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 2, verse 47 that;
कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि॥ २-४७
Karmanye vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karmaphalaheturbhurma Te Sangostvakarmani
The meaning of the verse is—
You have the right to work only but never to its fruits.
Let not the fruits of action be your motive, nor let your attachment be to
inaction.
Thanks.
scali
New User

Post by scali »

In my opinon ones soul leads one to all the right circumstances for your chosen experience. What you choose to experience is upto you. Since there is built in amnesia on this physical plane. One can choose differentlly, this is the ultimate free will provided by GOD. All things do exist in now. So its always what you choose. Gurbani stresses on Naam simran to lead one to its final destination of conscious mergence with GOD. Essentially you already are what you trying to be but not consciously aware of that. Life is not a action of some rehearsed script. Its to always choose what aspect od divine you want to experience. Soul is always fully aware of its true nature by does not interfere with ones mind choice.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

scali wrote:In my opinon ones soul leads one to all the right circumstances for your chosen experience. What you choose to experience is upto you. Since there is built in amnesia on this physical plane. One can choose differentlly, this is the ultimate free will provided by GOD. All things do exist in now. So its always what you choose. Gurbani stresses on Naam simran to lead one to its final destination of conscious mergence with GOD. Essentially you already are what you trying to be but not consciously aware of that.
Yes, convincing to great extent.
scali wrote:Life is not a action of some rehearsed script. Its to always choose what aspect od divine you want to experience. Soul is always fully aware of its true nature by does not interfere with ones mind choice.
Scriptures of all religions, messages therin and company of holy are 'a compass' not control.
Thanks.