Can Sikhs become hermits?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
AS Khalsa
Power User

Re: Can Sikhs become hermits?

Post by AS Khalsa »

What I have learned is that alone, we don't really learn anything amazing. We are Spiritual Beings having a Human Experience. We are Born To Live.
I entirely disagree. The idea of a life well spent is far too subjective for you to make pronouncements like that. Of course I don't doubt that many people are better suited to their urban, working and familial lifestyles than the sort of existence I want to lead.

But in my own experience, the pace of modern life affords me very little time for quiet reflection or contemplation. In the woods, I can devote myself wholeheartedly to my meditations. I have had profound spiritual experiences in the woods, where I have felt things I'd never felt before in the chaos of the urban jungle. I never feel more real or more alive than when I am there.
We all know the spiritual realm/2nd energy is out there, discovering it is not our aim. Our aim is to see God in everything.

Exactly, God is in everything. God is in the people and the stone of the cities. But he is also in the trees of the forest, and the birds, and the rain. By retreating from people, one is not retreating from God.
Practice Gurbani, apply it to your every day life, work, be happy n enjoy life while remaining detached from the Bulls*t for it does not exist. Truly read and apply Gurbani, do not waste this Precious Priceless Jewel of your blessed life by becoming a hermit, instead spread your light through the filth of maya and help this earth achieve Satyug again- for it will surely happen as it has in all previous cycles.
[/quote]

One needs to find their light before they can spread it to others. I have not found it, and I don't think I ever will if I lead a mundane urban life.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

Khalsa Ji,
Please do read the poetry of William Wordsworth.
Thanks.
Truth1
New User

Post by Truth1 »

Do u do Amrit vela? You should begin at 1am each morning and spend at least 2.5 hrs doing it.

Then u stay as grounded in Truth and what u have learned during the day while working, eating etc. It really really helps and is important.

It's up to u though, we're all free to do as we choose

God bless you.
AS Khalsa
Power User

Post by AS Khalsa »

Romesh Kumar wrote:Khalsa Ji,
Please do read the poetry of William Wordsworth.
Thanks.
Thank you, its beautiful. I appreciate the heads up.
guptsingh108
New User

Post by guptsingh108 »

I believe Bhai Gurdas Ji answers your question best in the following Kabit (376):

ਜੈਸੇ ਸਰਿ ਸਰਿਤਾ ਸਕਲ ਮੈ ਸਮੁੰਦ੍ਰ ਬਡੋ ਮੇਰ ਮੈ ਸੁਮੇਰ ਬਡੋ ਜਗਤੁ ਬਖਾਨ ਹੈ ।
ਤਰਵਰ ਬਿਖੈ ਜੈਸੇ ਚੰਦਨ ਬਿਰਖੁ ਬਡੋ ਧਾਤੁ ਮੈ ਕਨਕ ਅਤਿ ਉਤਮ ਕੈ ਮਾਨ ਹੈ ।
ਪੰਛੀਅਨ ਮੈ ਹੰਸ ਮ੍ਰਿਗ ਰਾਜਨ ਮੈ ਸਾਰਦੂਲ ਰਾਗਨ ਮੈ ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਪਾਰਸ ਪਖਾਨ ਹੈ ।
ਗਿਆਨਨ ਮੈ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਅਰੁ ਧਿਆਨਨ ਮੈ ਧਿਆਨ ਗੁਰ ਸਕਲ ਧਰਮ ਮੈ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਸਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨ ਹੈ ॥੩੭੬॥

Just as in the world, the sea is considered biggest among the lakes, rivers etc; and Sumer mountain amongst all the mountains.
Just as a sandalwood tree and gold is considered supreme amongst the trees and metals respectively.
Just as swan is supreme amongst the birds, the lion amongst the feline family, Sri Rag amongst the mode of singing and philosopher-stone among the stones.
Just as the knowledge imparted by the True Guru is supreme of all knowledge, and concentration of mind on True Guru is superb, so is the family life ideal and superior of all the religions (ways of life). (376)

http://searchgurbani.com/kabit_savaiye/kabit/376