Waheguru Simran & Amrit Vela

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Waheguru Simran & Amrit Vela

Postby WarriorAcademyInc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to learning in-depth about Sikhi... I thought I was on the right path, I have been reading a lot and following Sikhnet, Basics-of-Sikhi, Satpal Singh and doing other readings as well. I've been addicted to Naam Jaap of Waheguru and been waking up at 3am to go to local Gurdwara to attend the services. Can't thank Jagraj Singh (R.I.P) for helping me get on this path.

However, recently starting listening to Bhai Ranjit Singh Dhandrian Wale.

His katha, has totally thrown me off and everyday in his Diwan it's something new that doesn't seem to fully align with what others are saying... The only thing that he says that aligns with what I have learnt from others is that God is within us all and we are all one.

Some examples of the things that have been throwing me off are below:

- No need to do Path (If we've passed grade 1 do we go back and re-do the same grade over and over?)
- No need to wake up Amrit Vela if your schedule doesn't allow
- No need to do Naam Jaap or Waheguru Simran,it's only temporary feeling of happiness that we've associated with doing simran.
- Guru Nanak Sahib Dev Ji wouldn't be happy with what we are doing in Sikhi today
- Nothing is written, you make your destiny. What about Hukam?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what he's saying but it seems he's saying just be a good person, work hard, don't cheat anyone and find God within yourself, be brave and stand for the truth...

Maybe someone can listen to today's Diwan and see what you are getting out of it... Would love to hear other opinions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMA5XZWbq0A

Thank you in advance,
-W.A.I
WarriorAcademyInc
New User

Re: Waheguru Simran & Amrit Vela

Postby IJJSingh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:56 am

Sikhi is more about unlearning than learning. We have built our ego and behavior over a very long period, and removing ego is a painful unlearning process. Let me share my own experience. For years, I recited Nitnem, and then I decided to read SGGS from beginning to end a few pages each day – a practice I have maintained since I started several years ago. When the first time I started reading SGGS, the first few pages went well because these covered the familiar nitnem (Japuji Sahib, Rehras Sahib,..). Once I reached unfamiliar shabads things started derailing for me. Guru Nanak ji all of a sudden was saying things that my small mind didnt want Guru Nanak to say. After reading SGGS a few times, the jig saw puzzle started emerging for me. Guru ji is incredibly consistent, my understanding is flawed and is constantly changing. Journey into the unknown makes us vulnerable, and it is important that we follow somebody we can trust. Guru we can trust, people on the other hand can lead us astray. Listening to people can accelerate our understanding process but we should ensure that their message is consistent with the Guru’s message. I have heard Bhai Ranjit Singh Dhadrian Wala’s Diwan using your link, and I didn’t hear anything objectionable in the overall message; some parts if not couched in a proper context can cause confusion. However, if his talk doesn’t reconcile with what you hear from the Guru then I suggest that you stop listening to him and focus on listening to the Guru.

Below, I have shared my interpretation of Bhai Ranjit Singh about the things that are throwing you off. In the beginning of each response, I start with my categorical opinion so that nuances later in my response do not cause confusion.

No need to do Path (if we’ve passed grade 1 do we go back and re-do the same grade over and over?)

Categorical Opinion: We must do Path, there is no other way around it. Even the ones that repeat Path without following the message are better than the ones who do not do Path at all. Because if we are exposing ourselves to gurbani sooner or later we will soak up some of the messages.
Response: Gurbani is a map. Merely possessing the map or studying the map does not take us closer to the destination - we must also take steps along the path shown by the map. Guru ji says that journey to God has “paurian” (stairs). We should always find the next relevant stair-step for us in gurbani and try climbing it. Not doing so would be “repeating grade 1 again and again”. Bhai Ranjit Singh all along the Diwan is singing Gurbani and is asking everybody to connect with Gurbani, I don’t think he is asking people to stop doing Path.

No need to wake up Amrit Vela if your schedule doesn’t allow

Categorical opinion: For the ones connected to God, every moment is Amrit Vela. For the ones who are still struggling, Amrit Vela is the best time for Simran. At this time, the body/mind are rested, earthly tasks are least likely to encroach on this time, pollution and distractions are the lowest.
Response: Objective of Simran is to go into anand and sehaj – discipline is good but “hath” (self-torture) is not. If your personal circumstances are not conducive to Simran at amrit vela, rather than making yourselves and others around you miserable, pick another time.

No need to do Naam Jaap or Waheguru Simran, it’s only temporary feeling of happiness that we have associated with doing Simran.

Categorical opinion: There is no path other than guru and Simran to get to God. This message is repeated again and again every few verses in SGGS. You cannot be a Sikh and deny this.

Response: If we do something without knowing its true objective then it becomes a meaningless ritual. There is a story of a hermit who lived in a forest with lots of parrots in the trees around his hut. The hermit had grown very fond of these birds. Every few weeks a team of hunters used to arrive with their snares and nets and catch parrots. Loss of these innocent birds was a heavy burden on hermit’s heart, and he decided to do something about it. He trained a handful of parrots and in turn these parrots trained the rest of the parrots in the trees. Next time, when the hunters came, the trees were abuzz with the parrots chanting “hunters may come and cast their nets, but we will not get caught”. Hunters were distressed, and then one of the hunters suggested that there may still be some parrots that haven’t learnt this chant and let’s see if we can catch those. They casted their nets, and all of a sudden, they had an abundant catch and every parrot caught in the nets was still repeating the same chant. Objective of the Sikh is to experience one-ness with God. Gurbani and gurmantar are the means to get to this objective. Its important that we keep this objective first and foremost in our mind, and work towards this change, otherwise we will not have lasting happiness.

It seems he's saying just be a good person, work hard, don't cheat anyone and find God within yourself, be brave and stand for the truth
Categorical opinion: Being a good person is not enough. The purpose of human existence is to achieve the realization that we are God.
Response: Virtuous living is to spiritual living what sleep is to good health. Sleep is necessary for good health but is not enough. A person can’t be strong or healthy unless they regularly get good sleep. However, sleep alone doesn’t make a person healthy. If sleep was the only thing a person did, we will call that person sick. Now consider a person who is so virtuous that he is known across the world because of his good deeds, and people follow him everywhere and sing his praises. The Guru calls such a person a worm among worms if that person didn’t achieve God’s grace (Japuji Sahib, SGGS 2). Virtuous living may not be enough, but it is the first essential step towards spiritual living. You cannot experience oneness with God while mistreating or ignoring God all around you.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
IJJSingh
Active Forum User

Re: Waheguru Simran & Amrit Vela

Postby JeejaJi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:33 pm

I agree with many of the things that Ranjit Singh and Satpal Singh say.
There is no need to do nitnem. What matters is do you make understanding god a priority in your life? If yes, do that as first thing when you wake up whether it is 4 am or 4 pm.

Remember that bani is not magic words or unique to Sikhs. What is key is understanding what it says and then practice it. You can practice it whether you are a Sikh, Hindu or some other religion.

Good luck!

WarriorAcademyInc wrote:Hi all, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to learning in-depth about Sikhi... I thought I was on the right path, I have been reading a lot and following Sikhnet, Basics-of-Sikhi, Satpal Singh and doing other readings as well. I've been addicted to Naam Jaap of Waheguru and been waking up at 3am to go to local Gurdwara to attend the services. Can't thank Jagraj Singh (R.I.P) for helping me get on this path.

However, recently starting listening to Bhai Ranjit Singh Dhandrian Wale.

His katha, has totally thrown me off and everyday in his Diwan it's something new that doesn't seem to fully align with what others are saying... The only thing that he says that aligns with what I have learnt from others is that God is within us all and we are all one.

Some examples of the things that have been throwing me off are below:

- No need to do Path (If we've passed grade 1 do we go back and re-do the same grade over and over?)
- No need to wake up Amrit Vela if your schedule doesn't allow
- No need to do Naam Jaap or Waheguru Simran,it's only temporary feeling of happiness that we've associated with doing simran.
- Guru Nanak Sahib Dev Ji wouldn't be happy with what we are doing in Sikhi today
- Nothing is written, you make your destiny. What about Hukam?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what he's saying but it seems he's saying just be a good person, work hard, don't cheat anyone and find God within yourself, be brave and stand for the truth...

Maybe someone can listen to today's Diwan and see what you are getting out of it... Would love to hear other opinions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMA5XZWbq0A

Thank you in advance,
-W.A.I
JeejaJi
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion