Regarding clash or Kirtan and Path done at the same time

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

Regarding clash or Kirtan and Path done at the same time

Postby gurbakshsingh2000 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:08 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh,

Can you please provide me with clarification on the following issue as our Gurdwara committee
cannot agree on this issue. Our Gurdwara in Glasgow is very small and we only have one main hall. We have had past
occassions where Akhand Da Path is running (usually from every Friday morning till Sunday afternoon ) and while Path
is still running in the same hall we have had incidents where some local ragis have come to perform kirtan on friday &
saturday night while Path is still running and also Assa Di War kirtan being performed even while the Path is going on
at the same time.

As advised earlier our Gurdwara has only one hall with no partitions,removeable walls/curtains,etc
to seperate the Path and the Kirtan going at the same time right next to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. We have voiced our
concerns that only Path OR Kirtan should be going in the hall at any one time to our Gurdwara committe and they cannot
agree whether this right or wrong.I have suggested that singing over Path to perform Kirtan is a disrespect to the Path running
and the same would apply if the situation was reversed.

Can you please provide very much needed guidance on this issue?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh,

Gurbaksh Singh
gurbakshsingh2000
New User

Re: Regarding clash or Kirtan and Path done at the same time

Postby Amrit.S » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Wow, that's a pretty bad situation.

What I would recommended is do the daily routine a gurdwara would do.

Even though Akhand Path was never done by any of our gurus, you must also consider what our Gurus gave the higher priority. Guru Arjan Dev ji gave great importance to singing the praises of the lord, Kirtan. He would train his own Sikhs, and have Rababis sing Kirtan at Harimandar Sahib. Guru Nanak Dev ji traveled around different countries, singing Kirtan. Guru Gobind Singh ji would sing kirtan himself, and hold courts where kirtan is sung.

What I mean by is, Kirtan was given great importance. Therefore, the daily routine of taking care of Guru Granth Sahib ji, and the singing of kirtan should be given more importance than Akhand Path. Akhand Path is not something that is mandatory, but Kirtan is.

There should be no rush for the gurdwara to start holding Akhand Paths. First do what is mandatory, then take small steps. Once the gurdwara is big enough for an Akhand Path to be done in a separate room, then I don't see any problem with it.
Amrit.S
Active Forum User

Re: Regarding clash or Kirtan and Path done at the same time

Postby kjsinghhyd » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Doing Akhand paath is fruitful if Sangat is listening. In 70% of the time frame, when the Paath is being done, no one is sitting around. The Paathi Singh also notices this and generally keeps his voice low, to himself.

As for the problem, I guess in Hazoor Sahib main hall, there are a number of Akhand Paaths going on while Kirtan is being sung. But the concern raised here is right and needs more insight.

Paath is to listen and thing and learn. Kirtan is to sing praises for Sangat's benefit. Former is like teacher doing a B. Ed course. And latter is like she teaching in class. Now both can't be done at the same time, can they?
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Return to Gurbani Kirtan