Bringing Tabla into Australia

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

Bringing Tabla into Australia

Postby iksikh0 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:30 am

Dear Sangat ji,

Three years ago, I carried a pair of Tabla into Australia as hand luggage but was stopped at customs and had to be treated with gamma rays in order to pass through. I received the tabla at home, but the puris (membranes) of both drums had become so weak that they came off pretty soon.

Now I am back in India for a short while and want to get a pair of tabla and a dholak - does anyone here know of a way to get them into Australia? FYI, there are quite a few tabla pairs in Australia, but not where I live - because of lack of sangat, I have not had an opportunity to ask where those came from!)

It would be great if anyone could suggest ways from their or a known one's successful experience.

Thanks and good wishes,
Sat Sri Akaal.
iksikh0
New User

Re: Bringing Tabla into Australia

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:17 am

My brother also needed a tabla but they were way to expensive to buy in Australia and we were told that due to gamma rays, the ink in the centre of the tabla would soon be no good. The man seeling the tablas said that because he does a business of selling tablas, cds and harmoniums, gamma rays weren't used on his tablas and instead special authorities were present during the making. I suggest you buy the tabla from someone who does a business. Hope I was of some help.

Return to Gurbani Kirtan