Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Page 141

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Page 141

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I was reading the above page of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and noticed there are some lines that discuss what it requires to be a good Muslim.

I don't quite understand why the Guru Granth Sahib Ji would discuss what is expected from good Muslims. Are those lines taken directly from the Quaran? Is it to provide context for some shared principles between Sikhism and Islam?
Biriabc
Active Forum User

Re: Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Page 141

Post by Biriabc »

WJKK
WJKF

In SGGS there is reference to Vedas, Simritees, Shashtras, Puraanas and Katebs [“sacred books”]. Muslims recognize four remaining holy books out of a total of 104 revelations, of which 100 are missing. Although Muslims are often taught that the 3 remaining books previous to the Koran have been altered, still, Muslims for the most part, respect those 3 holy books. In Gurbani, Kateb refers in particular to the four books, namely 1] Koran 2] Injil {New Testament} 3] Tawret – {Old Testament} 4] Zabur – {Psalms of David}

It says in SGGS:

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਵੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ [Page 464 SGGS]
Vedas and the Puraanas [Hindu scriptures], the Holy Scriptures of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic religions came into being by His Power; as is all the deliberation [i.e. the contemplation these scriptures and God]

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥ P1350 SGGS
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

Keeping this in mind, the Gurus have guided people in various Shabads as how to be a good Brahmin, a good Muslim, a good renunciate etc.
ss_8185 wrote:I don't quite understand why the Guru Granth Sahib Ji would discuss what is expected from good Muslims. Are those lines taken directly from the Quaran? Is it to provide context for some shared principles between Sikhism and Islam?
The lines are not taken from the Koran. Salat or ritual Islamic prayer is prescribed five times daily. The names of these prayers are: Fajr — the dawn prayer; Dhuhr — the noon prayer; Asr — the afternoon prayer; Maghrib — the sunset prayer; Isha'a — the night prayer

Guru Jee is saying that instead of merely praying five times a day, in order to be a Muslim, a “real” prayer to God should be as follows:
-First prayer should be truthfulness
-Second prayer should be honest living
-Third prayer should be charity in Name of God
-Fourth prayer should be cleansing of one’s mind and heart
-Fifth prayer should be praise of the Lord

If you contemplate the above, these principles/ values apply to any human being no matter what religion they are from.

Gur Fateh