Graduating university, feeling demotivated. Paath to do?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Graduating university, feeling demotivated. Paath to do?

Post by Guest »

Hi, I am due to graduate from one of the top universities this month. I have been a top student all throughout school and in college and managed to land a scholarship before entering university to pursue my degree. However, in university, my grades suffered. I was no longer a high achiever. Nevertheless, I managed to pass all my papers until this final examination prior to graduating. As a result of failing this one subject, my gpa has suffered tremendously. Since this is my final semester, the university has allowed me to sit for a supplementary exam in which the maximum grade I can attain is a pass (even if I do really well and score a distinction, my transcript will state pass only).

Anyway, all throughout university I have faced multiple challenges and turn to Waheguru countless times to help me get through them. He has never failed me, not even once. I am so thankful to him every single day for everything he has given me. Truly, university has been a very humbling experience for me because it has shown me that results aren't everything.

But at this final stage, and how my results look has got me believing that I will not get the job of my dreams. I know that Waheguru rewards people accordingly and whatever he pleases is the best thing. But I can't help but feel like I have failed and I cannot be saved. All I want is a second chance to prove myself and make my mother proud. Is there any Paath in particular that I can do to restore my confidence? Some words of encouragement would really help too. Other than that I am hoping that the university remarks my paper and grants me a pass as I had fallen short my a very small margin. Please pray for me. Thank you. May Waheguru bless all of you.
singhbj
Power User

Re: Graduating university, feeling demotivated. Paath to do?

Post by singhbj »

Paath - Chaupai Sahib

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-_f2DlTzR ... -_f2DlTzRE

Consolation
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.32 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
rusty_sim
Active Forum User

Post by rusty_sim »

That image is great singhbj, very true.

My sister told me a similar one about lawyers,
"A students become professors,
B students become judges,
C students become millionaires"
@Kiranjit, these things happen even to the brightest students. Don't let it get you down too much, especially if this is your bachelors. I can only speak from an engineering perspective but experience is king, not grades. I'm also a little worried you are in this race of I must finish this, then get that, then have that, then be this. Alan Watts (an atheist or buddhist some may argue) put this very well when he said
And all the time, this thing is coming, it's coming, it's coming—that great thing, the success you're working for.
. Then when you wake up one day about forty years old, you say "My God! I've arrived! I'm there!"
. And you don't feel very different from what you always felt.
. And there's a slight letdown, because you feel there's a hoax.
. And there was a hoax.
. A dreadful hoax.
. They made you miss everything. By expectation.
. Look at the people who live to retire, and put those savings away.
. And then when they're sixty-five, and they don't have any energy left, they're more or less impotent, they go and rot in an old people's "senior citizens" community.
. Because we've simply cheated ourselves, the whole way down the line.
. We thought of life by analogy was a journey, was a pilgrimage, which had a serious purpose at the end.
. And the thing was to get to that end.
. Success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead.
. But we missed the point the whole way along.
. It was a musical thing, and you were supposed to sing, or to dance, while the music was being played.
The full video can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGYKKLco0Q
suji singh
Power User

Post by suji singh »

Kiranjit ----

First and foremost hoping you are successful passing the course.

Let me suggest that you do some introspection as to why you did not submerge yourself in your studies. This is important as it relates to your future endeavors. I am hoping you realize that landing a good job is not an end in itself. One suffers serious disappointment when one is not competitive or commited to the job. The result is a much bigger disappointment.

Prayers should ask Waheguru to make you stronger so that you can become more devoted to the tasks to achieve success vs. asking Waheguru success as a gift. Prayers can make one more determined and focused. Waheguru is not in business to hand out grades, degrees, other worldly things. Mool Manter lucidly expounds on the nature of Waheguru.
Dr.Kaur
Active Forum User

Post by Dr.Kaur »

That is the same that happened to me. i so desire my license and I do not want my year to be wasted. worked my best but guess the examiner did not like my work.
Try to focus on your exam, pray and believe me grades do not matter at this point. i might be that your knowledge would get you a job that no top grader could ever get. anything can happen as long as you are in the game.
I hope we both pass :) no year wasting and a promise in heart to help others with our degrees.
Bundha
Power User

Post by Bundha »

Benji,
You go through life with highs and lows, when we are low we remember Guru Ji when we are high we tend to forget Guru Ji. We should try to level out the highs and lows.

Going off on a tangent a little, one of our aims in life should be to level out these troughs and peaks. And this comes when we do naam simran and our avastha increases, then we take great joy in the same way as great sorrow. We see a close friend as we see a fierce enemy. We see a close relative as we see a total stranger. Our mind is on an even keel we see Guru in all things and our mind becomes calm and bliss with His name.

Anyways, you say that Guru Ji has never let you down, but at some point Guru Ji will not give you what you desire, at this point there is a test. Are you Guru’s fair-weather friend? Are you close to Guru Ji when you get what you want or are you truly Guru Ji’s no matter what is thrown at you (or not given to you)? This test you must not fail, love Guru Ji now as you loved Him when you were getting the best marks. Work hard and give it all your effort but always keep Guru Ji by your side, do chaupai Sahib paaths as and when you can and keep positive, life is a long journey and there are many setbacks but keep Guru Ji in your mind at all times and he will reward you, sometimes these things are to test you.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
pawandeep_sk
New User

Post by pawandeep_sk »

Guest wrote:Hi, I am due to graduate from one of the top universities this month. I have been a top student all throughout school and in college and managed to land a scholarship before entering university to pursue my degree. However, in university, my grades suffered. I was no longer a high achiever. Nevertheless, I managed to pass all my papers until this final examination prior to graduating. As a result of failing this one subject, my gpa has suffered tremendously. Since this is my final semester, the university has allowed me to sit for a supplementary exam in which the maximum grade I can attain is a pass (even if I do really well and score a distinction, my transcript will state pass only).

Anyway, all throughout university I have faced multiple challenges and turn to Waheguru countless times to help me get through them. He has never failed me, not even once. I am so thankful to him every single day for everything he has given me. Truly, university has been a very humbling experience for me because it has shown me that results aren't everything.

But at this final stage, and how my results look has got me believing that I will not get the job of my dreams. I know that Waheguru rewards people accordingly and whatever he pleases is the best thing. But I can't help but feel like I have failed and I cannot be saved. All I want is a second chance to prove myself and make my mother proud. Is there any Paath in particular that I can do to restore my confidence? Some words of encouragement would really help too. Other than that I am hoping that the university remarks my paper and grants me a pass as I had fallen short my a very small margin. Please pray for me. Thank you. May Waheguru bless all of you.
Sat Sri AKal

If you are searching for a job in India, i can suggest some options, kindly provide the field in which you are looking for job?

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh
--
Regards
PawandeeP Singh