Turban material

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Turban material

Postby rusty_sim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:51 am

SSA

What material is the typical turban made out of? My pug is fairly light but rough (it's that typical cotton material) so I fear it is rubbing against my hairline and causing traction (I already have family history of MPB so I want to try to hold onto my hairline as long as I can).

I don't tie a joora any more - instead I comb the hair back, loosely bun it and tie the turban around this (1 round only). When I take my pug off, my hairline is flattened and the hairs are pulled back making me worry that I'm stressing them too much. I used to wear cotton bandanas and a patka a lot (age 14-19) and only recently appreciate the huge damage they do.

At home I usually use a silk scarf as a bandana and comb the hair back. Silk feels so much nice and does not rub against my hairline. So anybody use or even heard of silk/satin turbans? My dad's in india atm and wouldn't mind him bringing me back 1 or 2 (if they exist).
rusty_sim
Active Forum User

Re: Turban material

Postby singhbj » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

There are many options just go through the following links & then decide

http://www.gosikh.com/BuyTurban.php

http://www.gifts2eastboutique.com/defau ... t_id=52,31

http://www.utsavfashion.in/store/items. ... ccessories

http://rajputifashion.com/safa-products.php

http://www.turbanplus.com/

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 am

Ssa,

It's. naive and dare I say ignorant to think turban material has anything to do with a receding hair line or male pattern bald ess, if that was the case the world wouldnt hv bothered about it ..just us Sikhs would hv debated about it. Now as far as hairline goes , that's got to do with how tight your mom tied ur jooda ..father is almost bald and no one can look at my 45 yr old brother and say he has a receding hairline..simply cause mom didn't tie the joora too tight or too close to thee nose....

Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby David Singh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:34 am

What material do the American Sikhs use as their white turbans always look soft?

I wear old turbans which have been dyed again and again after fading, as new ones are seldom soft to the skin.
David Singh
Active Forum User

Postby rusty_sim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Nihal, would you wear a turban made out of potato-sack material and not expect it to rub and pull out your hair? People use silk pillow cases (rather than cotton) to reduce hair fall by rubbing.

I already acknowledged my receding hairline as a combination of MPB and a too-tight joora as a kid. The dermatologist I saw ruled out the joora thing (in her medical opinion) saying that the current theory on traction-alopecia is not well-defined and typically only applied to people who wear tight corn rows etc. but that's off topic.

Now, this topic was about people wearing silk turbans. Bj's first link has silk material as a turban option. I have been able to get a hand of some satin and will test that out when it comes. If it's not any good, I will give the gosikh.com silk a try.

SSA
rusty_sim
Active Forum User

Postby gosikh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Just a quick overview of the Turban material from light to heavy material.

F74
MulMul
Full Voile (Voile)
Rubia

Having said that, a new turban usually comes with starch on it to make it easy to manage and is prone to less wrinkles when handled by shop owners. As you wear a Turban, any turban, and wash it, it gets softer.

Some of my softest Turbans are 6 years old and some are given to me by family members as gifts, these are their used Turbans. They are just amazingly soft and I will have to wait a year or two to get there.

David - Some Sikhs, not necessarily only American, wear F74 which is less thread count and is very light. A 5 meter F74 is about 1/2 the weight of a 5 meter Full Voile Turban.

Oh! As I get older, I am loosing hair above my temples and that has probably little to do my patka or dastaar, more to do with getting old. I only speak through my experience and am not the authority on receding hairline.

Fateh,
G
gosikh
New User

Postby David Singh » Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 am

Many thanks for the information Gosikh Ji. Please advise is F74 also softer than MulMul?, You do not offer MulMul on your website?
David Singh
Active Forum User

Postby gosikh » Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

David Virji,

F74 is about the same weight as Mul Mul, however MulMul is a lot softer. As I understand it, F74 was only manufactured by one mill back in the day. It is since closed down. F74 used to be only available in white. We have since come in and messed with the Universe and dyed F74 into other colors.

Sorry, No plans to add MulMul to GoSikh at this time.

G
gosikh
New User

Postby David Singh » Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 am

Again many thanks for the reply Gosikh Ji. Would you not benefit from selling MulMul, as softness of material is a big issue for many and for youngsters in particular?
David Singh
Active Forum User

Postby Our Punjab » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Also, you can check out www.ourpunjab.com which does offer F74 and ships internationally.
Our Punjab
New User

Next

Return to Questions and Answers