Please Explain: jhatka at hazoor sahib...:0

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Please Explain: jhatka at hazoor sahib...:0

Postby R.kaur » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:29 am

SSA To all!

I was wondering if anyone knew the history behind the ritual of "Jhatka" (Goat Sacrifice) at the Hazoor Sahib. I have to admit I was very confused and saddened after watching a YouTube video on someone’s face book showing satsangat crowded right outside the Hazoor Sahib and watching a goat being beheaded ;(. What made me even madder was what someone wrote on their facebook after posting this video about Sikhs (the individual herself is sikh). I will not post the link on this forum b/c I really don't want to disturbed anyone nor do I want to publicize that video.

Can someone explain to me why they do this? I never knew we had such rituals till now and when I look it up on line it's very vague as to why it happens. Please Explain....

r.kaur

Moderator comment: Related topic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5325
R.kaur
New User

Re: Please Explain: jhatka at hazoor sahib...:0

Postby AS Khalsa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 am

R.kaur wrote:SSA To all!

I was wondering if anyone knew the history behind the ritual of "Jhatka" (Goat Sacrifice) at the Hazoor Sahib. I have to admit I was very confused and saddened after watching a YouTube video on someone’s face book showing satsangat crowded right outside the Hazoor Sahib and watching a goat being beheaded ;(. What made me even madder was what someone wrote on their facebook after posting this video about Sikhs (the individual herself is sikh). I will not post the link on this forum b/c I really don't want to disturbed anyone nor do I want to publicize that video.

Can someone explain to me why they do this? I never knew we had such rituals till now and when I look it up on line it's very vague as to why it happens. Please Explain....

r.kaur

Moderator comment: Related topic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5325

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
Bhenji,
the people at hazoor sahib believe their form of Sikhi, Sanatan Sikhism, which is ironically completely out of touch with the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, to be Sikhism in its original form (Note that this is never backed up by gurbani anywhere, the only evidence they can give are obscure texts by sanatan sikh authors).

The purpose of the 'jhatka' tradition, is to sacrifice a goat, collect its head in a 'sarbloh batta' (iron bowl), take it WITHIN the premises of the Gurdwara, and anoint weapons with the blood of the goat, to 'sanctify' them. Once, when a preacher from the Punjab came to Hazoor Sahib and spoke out against this, a young Hazoori Sikh tried to smash his head open, because he was apparently putting down their ancient tradition.

Take a look at this video, where Bibi Shanti KaurJi, a Sikh in the USA, explains the history of Hazoor Sahib:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLt2K7SYmU

Although I respect Bibi Ji, I do not think she knows enough about Hazoor Sahib to tell us we must accept what goes on their as authentic tradition. And if she thinks that the Sikhi of Hazur Sahib is the true Sikhi, then she is indirectly saying that the traditions which I am about to list are authentic Sikh traditions.

Let me just provide you a list of stuff that Sanatan Sikhism believes:

Women and men must have seperate Amrit Sanchaar.
Women are not baptised with a khanda, they are instead baptised with a small knife known as a 'kard'.
Women cannot be part of the Panj Piarey.
Sanatan Sikhs believe the consumption of Sukha, a cannabis tonic, to be part of Sikh tradition.
Amritdhari Sikhs are ALLOWED to drink beer, if in moderation (but hypocritically, smoking is forbidden).
Amritdhari Sikhs are ALLOWED to eat meat.
Sanatan Sikhs participate in Aarti, a practice forbidden by Sikh Gurus.
Sanatan Sikhs worship Chandi, Durga, in the form of a sword.
Although the Sarbloh Granth and Dasam Granth should be revered, the Sanatan Sikhs consider these texts on par with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
Sanatan Sikhs believe in the caste system
They can marry anyone, but are forbidden to marry Muslims and low caste Sikhs.
Sanatan Sikhs believe Sikhism is a branch of Hinduism.
Sanatan Sikhs do not believe that everyone is equal in the Khalsa - the Akali Nihangs are better than ordinary Amritdhari Sikhs, because they are the vanguard of Sikhism, despite the fact that they hardly did anything during 1984 sikh genocide.
Akali Nihangs are allowed to take whatever they want, whenever they want.
Sanatan Sikhism believes in a lot of weird stories - apparently the son of Guru Nanak Dev, Baba Sri Chand, used to suckle his nephew, an orphan, with milk, using his big toe...
Sanatan Sikhism believes in four Sikh orders. Some stuff is forbidden in one order, but practiced in another, for example smoking, which is allowed under the Udasi order, but banned by the Nihang order. It doesn't make sense. How can smoking be a sin for some people and not for others?

If all of that is the true Sikhism, then I don't want to be a Sikh.

Here is a list of Sanatan Sikh websites:
http://shastarvidiya.org/
http://www.sarbloh.info/
Also, type Nidar Singh Nihang into google search. He is a proponent of Jhatka animal sacrifice and cannabis drinking sikhism.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
AS Khalsa
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 pm

with due respect to all.
can any one tell me that he who hunts does not eat meat. put your logic as well
swarn bains
Active Forum User

Postby R.kaur » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:08 am

SSA!

Sorry for the late reply my computer wasn't allowing me to access this web site for some reason. At any rate thank you AS KHALSA JI. I intended to read up on it some more I am glad these teachings do not concur with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Thank you once again for the insight!

R.Kaur
R.kaur
New User

Return to Questions and Answers