Buying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Buying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Postby Quantonium » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:18 am

Hello!
I'm sure this is something a lot of people talk and think about, and I myself have been pondering it for quite a while. I started reading about sikhi for a couple of years ago, and I love it. I want to delve deeper into the Gurus' words, and so I want to read the guru granth sahib. There are online versions, but that doesn't feel as good as actually having it in a physical form. But this is where the "problem" comes. Is it right to buy a guru granth sahib? I don't know gurmukhi, and so I'll have to have an english translation. It's difficult to find one, but I've come across this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shri-Guru-Grant ... 115&sr=8-1

Is it right to buy this, and read this now and then casually? Or should one perhaps have a special room for it, and read it in a certain way at at certain time? Or should one never even buy one, just hear it in the Gurdwara?

As I've said, I love sikhi, and I want to study the guru granth sahib, and reading it on the net just don't cut it..

In advance, thanks for the answer!
Sat Sri Akaal
Quantonium
New User

Re: Buying Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Postby Kuldip S. Virdi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:38 pm

From the description on the referred Amazon site, it does appear to be an English translation of the SGGS by an unknown author. Several English translations of the SGGS are also available from Singhbrothers Amritsar at www.singhbrothers.com.

As long you keep the copy of the transaltion of the SGGS with the due respect, there is no harm in buying, reading and keeping it with you.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru ki Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh
Kuldip S. Virdi
Power User

Postby Khalsa.Fauj.13 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 am

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh....

Well I suggest that rather than buying Sri Guru Granth Sahib in complete form you should buy a smaller version of it... Its called "Senchis" which is Sri Guru Granth Sahib in two parts just as Nitnem....
If you decide to have Guru Granth Sahib at home then proper respect and proper care is necessary.... Guru Granth Sahib is consider the living guru so it has to be given a separate clean room, take hukum everyday from it and a whole lot of other requirements are there....
So I suggest that you buy 'senchis' which you can keep in your room in a different place wrapped it in clean cloth.... and You can read it in your room or anywhere else casually just like Nitnem.....

I hope that helps you....
Khalsa.Fauj.13
Active Forum User

Postby Amrit.S » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:54 pm

It's horrible and I am shocked when I see that Guru Granth Sahib ji is for sale.

Gurbani has no value, and is priceless. There should be no price for gurbani. I'm surprised, the two people who have posted above have not said anything about buying a Guru Granth Sahib ji.

I personally keep senchis in my home too though, as Khalsa Fauj mentions.

Also, there is a store called Sacha Sauda. Over there, they say you can give any amount of money for the senchis.
Amrit.S
Active Forum User

Postby Kuldip S. Virdi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:24 am

Two official publishers of the SGGS i.e SGPC and DGMBC do not charge for the bir of the SGGS and has a long waiting period normally.Invariably, every one who obtains the bir, offers a bheta.

The poster of this stringe is looking for translation of the SGGS and they are certainly available as publications from the bookstores and one needs to pay for the effort of the translator and the publisher besides stockist/ bookseller. They do have listed price.

The bani of the Guru is priceless and is not sold but still it is customary to offer a bheta to the one who proivde with a copy for their efforts and an attempt to cover cost of printing, binding etc.

Wahe Guru ji Ka Khalsa, wahe Guru ji Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh
Kuldip S. Virdi
Power User

Postby Amrit.S » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Kuldip S. Virdi wrote:The bani of the Guru is priceless and is not sold but still it is customary to offer a bheta to the one who proivde with a copy for their efforts and an attempt to cover cost of printing, binding etc.

Wahe Guru ji Ka Khalsa, wahe Guru ji Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh

Agreeable, I was aware of this though.
Amrit.S
Active Forum User

Postby Quantonium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 am

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the late answer.
I must admit, I have bought the copy, and I must say I am happy with it. Yes, I payed for it, but as Kuldip Singh says, one does pay for the act of translating it. No translation is perfect, and nothing comes close to the real thing, but at the same time, I see nothing wrong with having a translated copy. There are copies on the internet as well. I keep my books on small table where I make sure it is not covered with dust and the like. Each night I bow before it, and read a few pages. This might be unorthodox, but it is, in my opinion, a good start on the way to understand the Gurus' words, and delving deeper into sikhi.

There might indeed be a time when I try to aquire an actual Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and when that time comes, all of the normal customs shall be used, such as having it in a special room, reading certain passages each day etc.

In the end, what matters most to me is that sikhi brings me knowledge for life, and that I might express my love for the True Guru. :)

Sat sri akaal
Quantonium
New User

Postby Amrit.S » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Very nice, wonderful to hear!
Amrit.S
Active Forum User

Postby jaspinder » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

You may try this page , there are several translations in English , Hindi and Punjabi :
http://www.jsks.co.in/sggs.htm
jaspinder
New User

Postby Dr.Kaur » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:20 pm

I think if they don't charge anything then everyone will go there to get a bir for them selves and then not respect it the very best example is everyone who wants to get amrit can get it from any gurudwara now a days and people are loosing respect for baana, earlier on it used to be so tough to get amrit and people used to respect it a lot.
We do need a separate room for Guru Granth Sahib and do Parkash and Sukhaasan on time, and not just forget it, I have seen people how just forget Sukhaasan at night coz dey are too busy at a dera and I have seen people who really respect Guru ji, have the most beautiful room for babaji in the house with an A/C for babaji!
As my mom always says, it's a big responsibility and we should be ready before we consider doing it.
Dr.Kaur
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers