Interreligious marriage for Gursikh allowed?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
sikhing guidance
New User

Interreligious marriage for Gursikh allowed?

Post by sikhing guidance »

I was reading through the NY times weddings and celebrations section (yes to torture myself further, incase you are wondering, i have posted a topic in the relationship section entitled need some advice re: marriage).

I came across this announcement and was really surprised!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/fashi ... f=weddings

if you scroll further down, near the end of the page, there is also a short video of the newly married couple.

My understanding was that a gursikh had to marry another gursikh or at least that other person had to be on the path to becoming a gursikh.

what are your thoughts on this?
sajjansingh
Active Forum User

Re: Interreligious marriage for Gursikh allowed?

Post by sajjansingh »

Let me answer this question. She doesn't represent the whole Sikh community, so we cannot cite her reference and ask questions. No! Sikhs are not allowed to marry such way but we cannot control her decision. She has the freedom to choose her partner but as far as Sikhism beliefs go they do not support such acts. She has chosen her partner according to her feelings not as per Sikh Code of Conducts. I do not know much about her background so can't really comment if turban is just for the fashion.

Sikh Code of Conducts are available online for further research at http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.html
sikh_13
Active Forum User

Post by sikh_13 »

Is it not fashionable for 'sikh' girls to marry outside religion and then flaunt it?

I suppose she is just following a prevailing 'fashion'!

Wish she changes her name after marriage and dont let her kids call themselves 'half-sikhs' !
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

It is my experience that most Sikh Indian girls in the West at least flirt with the idea of marrying outside the faith for various reasons. Perhaps they think that Sikh Indian men cannot be fashionable enough for them.

That said, setting aside all rules and rehats, the basic definition of marriage in Sikhism implies a union of two souls into one soul that resides in two bodies. Is that possible with a non-Sikh ? I cannot say no in all cases (as there are many religious traditions that work more or less harmoniously with Sikhi), but given the views of Sikhism (and other non - my-way-or-the-highway religions) prevalent in proselytizing religions like Christianity and Islam, seems extremely unlikely.

I also think that people have a right to make what choices they want, but should refrain from the hypocrisy in continuing to claim affiliation with a way of life they have turned their back on. The lady you reference (perhaps) and the current Methodist Republican Sarah Palin endorsed (the ideology represented by that combination should make any Sikh, or even any person with a basic understanding and respect for human dignity, cringe) Sikh-when-convenient candidate for Governor of South Carolina are just examples of people who persist in dragging the name of Sikhi through the mud-dle (pun intended) of their personal choices.

I have observed this in my extended family (I have a thread on this very topic) where Sikh tolerance is being used to hide/enable a multitude of behaviours that are grossly inconsistent with Sikhi. Sikhi, in my opinion, starts with self-respect (not haumae or ego). If you do not respect yourself enough to not keep any cordial contact with people who do not respect you, then everything else about you has to be seen as being either weak-willed or fake.
naadbliss
New User

Post by naadbliss »

Surly WaheGuru's blessing will pervade deeper in a marriage of true love & partnership with a couple coming from different religious backgrounds than a couple of the same religious background lacking a real heart connection and unity.
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

naadbliss wrote:Surly WaheGuru's blessing will pervade deeper in a marriage of true love & partnership with a couple coming from different religious backgrounds than a couple of the same religious background lacking a real heart connection and unity.
No doubt, if the couple genuinely respect each other's religion. Some religions make that impossible / highly unlikely.