Kara at the work place

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
hbudwal
New User

Kara at the work place

Post by hbudwal »

Today I was sent home from my job because I refused to take my Kara off at the work place. I work at Pizza Hut in Fairfax, Virginia, and my boss told me to either take off my Kara or go home. I told him that I would push it up on my arm so it was farther away from my hand, and tape it so it would stay but I refuse to take it off entirely. I told him I had religious rights to wear my Kara at the work place and he responded by saying "I don't care, go fight your rights in court!" I was told to not come back until I took my Kara off when I work. Please help me I know there is no way my manager can make such a requirement for my job.
Sim101
Active Forum User

Re: Kara at the work place

Post by Sim101 »

hbudwal Ji,
This can go a long way but it is completely up to you and if you are willing to go the distance. I am a Legal Assistant by profession and currently about to start law school, so though I might not be able to provide you exact advice I can give some.

Firstly, what your employer did is "definitely" and "clearly" a violation of your First Amendment Right to free religion. My mother has been working in Burger King for 15 years now and she has never taken her Kara off and neither has she ever been asked to take her Kara off, in fact she wears two!! One in each hand.

These are the 1997 Federal Guidelines on religious practices at the work place, though they are over a decade old they are still very much followed today. Please read them when you can and under the examples there is an example pertaining to religious jewelry at the workplace

http://clinton2.nara.gov/WH/New/html/19970819-3275.html

Since your employer has told you not to return till you remove your Kara I would recommend that you not go there, instead I would advise that you go see an attorney and take a printout of the guidelines with you and tell your attorney the truth. The attorney will then research the law and let you know whether or not you have a case.

I wish you all the very best!!
AM
Active Forum User

Post by AM »

I am curious why you were asked to take it off? Are you working with the oven. Did you maybe complain about the heat on your arm? Employers are ultimately responsible for staff in their employ in most countries.
Perhaps its more a question of why they see the need for it to come off? Management may have a valid concern and this should not be disregarded just because it had something to do with religious practice. Dialogue and a willingness to come to a solution is probably the better way to go first before involving attorneys etc. If you want to continue working there then its probably best to find a amicable solution instead of a legal one in the first instance.
Gurvir_Singh
New User

Post by Gurvir_Singh »

hbudwal wrote:I work at Pizza Hut in Fairfax, Virginia
Sat Sri Akal, bhai, I'm in Reston. The Pizza Hut over here near Wiehle Ave and Sunset Hills is run by Sikhs, maybe you can transfer! No one can tell you you can't wear your kara, that is crazy. There are lots of ignorant people, we have to keep fighting.

[email protected]
suji singh
Power User

Post by suji singh »

Gurvir Ji and Hbudwal Ji ---

Nobody can stop anyone from wearing a Kara. However, if wearing a Kara or any other article interferes with the discharge of assigned duties, then:

First, the employee should use common sense on ones own to make the necessary adjustment.

Second, it is in employer's pruview to dismiss the employee when the employee refuses to adjust.

Obviously, Hbudwal has received contrary advice, an advice, if pursued would lead to wasted time and energy in my opinion. Micro food particles, bacteria, or perspiration can be arguably trasmitted into food via the Kara. This is not out of the realm of possibility and it is a basis for dismissal in the present situation. In a relatied direction, use of Kara should be prohibited or avoided when working in an environ where extreme heat or electricity is used. For instance, an electrician will not use Kara while working with elecricity. Commonsense need to prevail.

Nobody has right to a job!
Jorabar_Singh
New User

Post by Jorabar_Singh »

Sir Jave Ta jave Mere sikhi sidhak na jave!
Kate
Active Forum User

Post by Kate »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I was also told to take my kara off at a workplace, because it was indeed a safety hazard. There was a risk of it getting caught in bread slicer blades and it wouldn't stay put if I shoved it further up my arm. I still kept it on my person, but I could not wear it because of that reason. (I ended up leaving the job.) But unless it's a health and safety concern, there shouldn't be a reason you can't wear it and a solution should be available. There's always someone higher up, so try getting a hold of your district manager. He or she should be able to help smooth things over if this is a personality conflict rather than an actual protocol issue.

There is always the option of chalking it up as a loss and finding a new job that allows you to wear it. Sometimes the job just isn't worth the fight.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

~Kate
"We are not the followers of a religion... But the forces of Revolution."
karakara
Power User

Post by karakara »

Hello ji,

It's very important that you stand up for your (and our) rights and make your boss eat his words:
I told him I had religious rights to wear my Kara at the work place and he responded by saying "I don't care, go fight your rights in court!" I was told to not come back until I took my Kara off when I work. Please help me I know there is no way my manager can make such a requirement for my job.
Please fight this battle for yourself, for all of us, and for your children. If you pursue this matter and take some of the excellent advice which preceded my own post, you'll get back pay, compensation, possibly more, and possibly a public apology in your local newspaper. This attitude should get your boss fired as well.
"If you cannot see God in all, you cannot see God at all."

"When there is no hope, YOU become The Hope!"

-- Sri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogijee
karakara
Power User

Re: Kara at the work place<<link

Post by karakara »

hbudwal ji,

I omitted to provide a link to The Sikh Coalition:

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/

I encourage you to go to this site, register and then go to the 'Report A Hate Crime' page which will give you a form to submit. You will get a response back very fast.

Sikh Coalition is doing amazing work and needs to be supported financially and also by making as many fellow Sikhs aware of their existence, and of the work they've done, and what they're ready to do to intervene legally and politically on our behalf. I implore you to contact them.

For anyone else viewing this post, if you are not already familiar with The Sikh Coalition, please go to their website, bookmark it, sign up for their Newsletter and Community Advisories, you'll be glad that you did.

Fateh!
"If you cannot see God in all, you cannot see God at all."

"When there is no hope, YOU become The Hope!"

-- Sri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogijee
sikhing guidance
New User

Post by sikhing guidance »

Do not let this pass..u have to take this action.

I fail to understand how the kara interferes with making/delivering pizzas??? Clearly management is lacking common sense. In that case women should be asked to take off rings etc when working in commercial bakeries.

I also fail to understand how a kara transmits bacteria etc? One washes their hands, and hopefully also their kara as well, i know i do.