Sikhism Today! - will we survive??? (UNMODERATED)

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
swarn bains
Power User

Re: Sikhism Today! - will we survive??? (UNMODERATED)

Post by swarn bains »

anything which does not change with time, dies. There got to be some resolve in order to guide the younger generations, otherwise it will be as you say
suji singh
Power User

Post by suji singh »

The Chowkidars or Gatekeepers of Sikhi have de facto disowned most of the descendents of Sikhs. They
have disqualified and disenfranchised them due to outwardly appearance or some other criteria. Ongoing struggle
to control the Gurudwaras, mishap in Vienna, birth of Babas, ... are emblematic signs of fissures within Sikhi.

A religion based on outwardly appearance and rigidity, lacking dynamism to adapt, cannot survive. However, the bani is eternal. Bani, the true essence of Sikhi, will live on forever. Anybody (Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Mona, ... ) who reads the bani with sincerity and devotion will touch divinity, especially, if the concepts of Bani are integrated and applied in daily life.

Kirtan, the singing of Bani, with a view towards understanding and application of Bani is extremely uplifting of human spirit.
Lee Douglas
Power User

Post by Lee Douglas »

wgill wrote:
Lee Douglas wrote:Agian I find I must answer this way.

Who cares? If Shiki dies then it dies, and in doing so must be according to Gods will.

Sikhi is merley a path. There have been other paths before Sikhi, I have no doubt others will pop up too.

When I go home, if one path is restricted to me, I find another way.

Why are we worried more about the route than the destination?
Sikhi will never die! The reason is that the foundation stone was laid by Guru Nanak Dev Ji (Almighty Lord). Moreover wait and watch! Khalsa Rise and Rule in few years time!

Wgill ji,

Perhaps perhaps not, but a much better respones and to my mind a much truer one is this from Suji Singh ji below:

'A religion based on outwardly appearance and rigidity, lacking dynamism to adapt, cannot survive. However, the bani is eternal. Bani, the true essence of Sikhi, will live on forever. Anybody (Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Mona, ... ) who reads the bani with sincerity and devotion will touch divinity, especially, if the concepts of Bani are integrated and applied in daily life.'

I am unconcered with Sikhi, I mean by that the body of the Sikh faith, it's leaderships, it's memebers even. I am wholey concerned with God. Sikhi is merely the path treat to God. What matter if the path get washed away and another put in it's place? The Bani, the Naam, the Jot, Waheguru, these are what are important. The rest really is window dressing, why my freind feel such depth of pride for what's in the window rather than walk into the shop and ask about what's in the back room?

Ahhhhh Waheguru lead me to the back room, lead me past the maya of the pretty windows. Now my fiend that is my prayer.

Look towards the substance, the message, the goal of Sikhi, not the cloths it wears. The path is nothing, the destination is all.
Amrit.S
Power User

Post by Amrit.S »

Sikhism will never die, as long as the Sikh has their Guru.

Sikhs have been through a lot in their history. The British, the Mughals, and others have killed many Sikhs, have attempted to take down the reign of Khalsa, they've done everything they've could. However, the Guru tells us:

ਜਿਉ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਜਲ ਬਿਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਰਤਾ ਤਿਉ ਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਈ ॥15॥
Just as the mortal dies without water, so does the Sikh die without the Guru. ||15|| (SGGS, 757)

Now, if something or someone overthrows the authority, the status of our Guru, and Sikhs begin the deny the Guru, that is only when a Sikh dies, that is when the Khalsa dies. As a Sikh by definition, is a discipline, a follower of the Guru. However, I've seen some Sikhs already deny that the Guruship was never given to Guru Granth Sahib ji, on the internet, and even on these forums indirectly.

A true Sikh of the Guru, will always protect his Guru, and will always speak when one speaks against the Guru. As long as there are these Sikhs, who will live their life based on the teachings of the Guru with Guru Granth Sahib ji by their side, the Sikh religion will never die. Whether the RSS, the BJP, and others organizations that may do whatever they like, as along as there is the true Sikh and his/her Guru, the Sikh religion will never die.
Lee Douglas
Power User

Post by Lee Douglas »

Amrit.S wrote:Sikhism will never die, as long as the Sikh has their Guru.

Sikhs have been through a lot in their history. The British, the Mughals, and others have killed many Sikhs, have attempted to take down the reign of Khalsa, they've done everything they've could. However, the Guru tells us:

ਜਿਉ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਜਲ ਬਿਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਰਤਾ ਤਿਉ ਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਈ ॥15॥
Just as the mortal dies without water, so does the Sikh die without the Guru. ||15|| (SGGS, 757)

Now, if something or someone overthrows the authority, the status of our Guru, and Sikhs begin the deny the Guru, that is only when a Sikh dies, that is when the Khalsa dies. As a Sikh by definition, is a discipline, a follower of the Guru. However, I've seen some Sikhs already deny that the Guruship was never given to Guru Granth Sahib ji, on the internet, and even on these forums indirectly.

A true Sikh of the Guru, will always protect his Guru, and will always speak when one speaks against the Guru. As long as there are these Sikhs, who will live their life based on the teachings of the Guru with Guru Granth Sahib ji by their side, the Sikh religion will never die. Whether the RSS, the BJP, and others organizations that may do whatever they like, as along as there is the true Sikh and his/her Guru, the Sikh religion will never die.

Amrit ji,

I appluad your passion. However why is this true?

'A true Sikh of the Guru, will always protect his Guru, and will always speak when one speaks against the Guru.'

Does Guru ji, need our protection?
VictoryEverlasting
Active Forum User

Post by VictoryEverlasting »

haha..this topic is still going on.
even if there is one Guru Ka Singh left...then that's more than enough.
You just haven't seen GuruJi's singh and hence this weak topic was born.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

VictoryEverlasting wrote:haha..this topic is still going on.
even if there is one Guru Ka Singh left...then that's more than enough.
You just haven't seen GuruJi's singh and hence this weak topic was born.
VictoryEverlasting Ji,
I do not know whether your post is a threat or a challenge or a joke but it is true that topic should have been "WILL SIKH IDENTITY (OUTER APPEARANCE) SURVIVE ?

I DO NOT SEE ANY THREAT TO SURVIVAL OF "SIKHISM" AS IT IS MOST MODERN, PRACTICAL, REALISTIC AND HUMANE AMONG ALL PREVAILING RELIGIONS. ALL THE PROBLEMS SIKHS ARE FACING WHICH LEAD TO THE QUESTIONS LIKE WE HAVE IN THE TOPIC HAVE BEEN CREATED BY CUSTODIANS (HIJACKERS) OF SIKHISM.

Moderator Note: Just a reminder to everyone, the above is an example of what should NOT be posted. Messages in upper case will be rejected in the moderated sections.
The weak sikhs are free to mingle with the society and not look strange but do we need to defend the distinct sikh appearance, even on this forum? Our appearance keeps us immiscible, to preserve the sikh path as distinct. Has it exhausted its purpose?
suji singh
Power User

Post by suji singh »

Sikhism today! --- will we survive?

As per the famous Ardass, "Raaj Karega Khalsa." Meaning, the pure (Khalsa) will rule the world , in my words, the pure will eventually prevail and thrive. So, the purest principles of Sikhism as expounded in SGSS will survive as long as humans exist. These principles are ubiquitous, they appear independent of religion, language and culture.

Principles of Sikhism are eternal, however, rituals are ephemeral. Rituals are performed for financial and political reasons, so many fights to control Gurudawaras.

Guru Nanak preached against ritualism --- the Bani of Guru Nanak, rudiments of Sikhism, are eternal.

Bottom Line: Purest principles of Sikhism will survive but their practice will vary.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

suji singh wrote:Bottom Line: Purest principles of Sikhism will survive but their practice will vary.
That is exactly what I wanted to say in my post above.
If there is still any threat to Sikhism then that is none other than the biased attitude of some Sikhs towards Hindus ( not towards non-sikhs)
For example,there are dozens of posts similiar to my own as above but moderators have not reacted to them. This also means that they reacted to my name. Do they want to reduce Sikhism just to a name ?
sikh_13
Active Forum User

Post by sikh_13 »

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,

Well, lots of comments and equal number of attempts to confuse the issue - Yes the fact is survival of sikhism in its true 'form and spirit'. Form is sikhi saroop ordered by my GURU - King of ALL. And the spirit is what has been taught by my Guru - pure - !!

What I have realized is that when ever there is a genuine discussion on Sikhi survival - some parasites drop in and try to take it away. Some people may mind it - but the fact is that Sikhism is facing biggest threat from hinduism today and we need to take it on like our ancestors took on the direct offenders then.....

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!!!