Worried about Dastar at school.

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
Torrential
New User

Worried about Dastar at school.

Post by Torrential »

I'm going to be going to a different school next year. I've never worn a dastar before and there was basically no other sikhs who did at my last school. There is many more at my next school.

I'm worried about what type should i wear? I dont want to wear the wrong type from everyone else and seem silly.
I like types such as what Jagmeet Singh wears but maybe a smaller version, but i am unsure if these count as formal and ok for school?

Also i do not yet know how to tie a daster, and im panicking before even starting to learn. How long does it take to learn from videos? I dont really have anyone to teach me.

tl;dr what type of dastar should i wear for school? What is the most common type (i'm in the uk, in london). and do you have any good videos or links to guides of tieing that type?
Torrential
New User

Re: Worried about Dastar at school.

Post by Torrential »

How much cloth do I need? How many meters long and how wide?

Also do I need to make a ‘base’ as I see loads of videos say.
Torrential
New User

Re: Worried about Dastar at school.

Post by Torrential »

If I wear a nihang dumalla, I’m not gonna seem like a ‘wannabe’ am I because I am not Amritari? I don’t want to seem disrespectful in any way.