Doubts

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
Isba22
New User

Doubts

Post by Isba22 »

Satriakkal,
My name is ishleen. If someone out here to clear my doubts it would be of great help. I'm a Sikh I am going through this illness from a pretty long time, got very depressed not able to think positive towards anything in life cannot focus so I decided to start praying I wanted to know are there any prayers In Guru Granth Sahib to recite while we are sick? I usually read the Benti Chaupai often, so today morning I read chaupai. I want to know are there specific timings to recite the prayers? Due to my sinus issues, TMJ, cold I wash my hands, face,legs and start the prayers in the morning, is that the right way? It would be grateful if someone could clear these doubts.
IJJSingh
Power User

Re: Doubts

Post by IJJSingh »

Ishleen,

You are on the right track. Do not worry about the timing or the type/extent of washing before reciting gurbani.

Any time you can find to remember Waheguru is a good time. Guru ji does not want us to get in debates about "auspicious" times for prayers.
ਜੇ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਤਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥
If we keep thinking and seeking the perfect time for worship, then when would we find time to worship? (SGGS 35)

Sikhi focuses on cleansing the mind, which is achieved by remembering Waheguru. Cleansing our body is important from health and hygiene perspective, however, it does not have any direct bearing on spirituality. So what you are doing is fine.
ਸੂਚੇ ਏਹਿ ਨ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਬਹਨਿ ਜਿ ਪਿੰਡਾ ਧੋਇ ॥
They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.
ਸੂਚੇ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ ॥੨॥
Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2|| (SGGS 472)

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

The Healing Power of Naam
The Healing Power of Faith

http://www.sikhwomen.com/health/Spirituality/index.htm
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

As for cold & sinus,

Cut 2 table spoons of ginger
Chop 2 table spoons of Indian green chillis
Mix them both
Squeeze a lemon on top & have it along with an Indian meal.

You will feel much better within in a hour.