Sikhnet: Should It Be Avoided, Or Is It Ok To Learn From The

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
farukhcasy2
New User

Sikhnet: Should It Be Avoided, Or Is It Ok To Learn From The

Post by farukhcasy2 »

As a newcomer to Sikhi, I've avoided reading things from Sikhnet because I've heard some of their teachings have strayed from "real" Sikhi. Is this a wholly true idea? Is Sikhnet totally fine? Or should their resources be utilized with a grain of salt?

I feel like there is probably some useful stuff there, but I don't wanna learn about a non-mainstream Sikhi if that is the case and get myself all confused.

Hope to hear some opinions! Thanks.
JeejaJi
Active Forum User

Re: Sikhnet: Should It Be Avoided, Or Is It Ok To Learn From

Post by JeejaJi »

What are you trying to learn?

Every source is an interpretation and hence, subject to the bias of the one writing/explaining. For example, there are over 50 well written Teekas and Steeks of Japji and they differ in many places.
So, like everything in life, pick few respectable sources, understand different interpretations so that you are more informed.

Good luck!
farukhcasy2 wrote:As a newcomer to Sikhi, I've avoided reading things from Sikhnet because I've heard some of their teachings have strayed from "real" Sikhi. Is this a wholly true idea? Is Sikhnet totally fine? Or should their resources be utilized with a grain of salt?

I feel like there is probably some useful stuff there, but I don't wanna learn about a non-mainstream Sikhi if that is the case and get myself all confused.

Hope to hear some opinions! Thanks.