Why we are called Sikhs?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
Jarnail Singh Khalsa
New User

Why we are called Sikhs?

Post by Jarnail Singh Khalsa »

Why we are called Sikhs? Sikh name to Sikh religion which Guru Ji gave.

I am Sikh since generations. I am proud of being a Sikh. Sikhism is the best modern and progressive religion. Non Sikhs ask me and I want answers for the following questions.

1.Which Guru Ji started Sikh religion?
2. In which year Guru Ji started Sikh religion?
3. At which place Guru Ji started Sikh religion?
4. In which place and year Guru Ji declared that my religion name is “Sikh”.
5. In which place and year which Guru Ji declared that my religion is a separate from others, and it is a separate Kaum also. If any Guru Ji made Sikhs a separate Kaum (nation) he must have written in SGGS.
6. Is our Sikh religion a religion or Kaum (nation)

While answering please mention name of book and page, edition year etc. I tried very hard to find answers to these questions from old Janam Sakhis, Panth Prakash, Gur bilas, Suraj Prakash, Guru Granth Sahib, Bhai Gurdas Ji and Dasam Granth also. But no where it is written about my questions. Please do not quote from Modern history books. Please help me.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Re: Why we are called Sikhs?

Post by gurmail »

A person called Nanak is the first one with a message. The accepted date and place for this day is in the literature if important and must have. personally, I don't bother because I find the message more interesting. Unfortunately, in those days people were poor and didn't keep records of things like dates and time, no watches or calenders etc.

Ordinary people who stopped their daily chores and listened to him became known as shishiya of Guru Nanak. Shishiya means student in the old lingo. Shishiyas take shikhiya (learning). Sikhiya became sikh because people were punjabis and were not that good at Sanskrit. The students must have been chided (clip around the ear) by their parents for being lazy sitting there listening to another so called "GURU" who spoke punjabi and therefore didn't even know Sanskrit like a proper Guru. Students must have insisted that they were taking Sikhiya. Therefore the name Sikh for these early students. It could have been worse like lazy good for nothing so and so's. In my opinion Guru Nanak must have related to all this name calling because I am sure at one his own father must have been very fed up with him. You know what parents are like.

Conclusion is that Guru Nanak didn't start any religion, he just talked sense and people thronged to listen to him. Another example of this happening is christianity. Jesus had a message and over time it led to christian and christianity.

The thing about Guru's message is that you have to go away and think about it yourself. That is the whole point . Message is to think for yourself. The SGGS has to be read studied examined from left, right, up, down every which way to understand it fully. Gurus only talk about one race of humanity.
If over time people want to give themselves labels and call themselves followers of Sikh Religion that is ok. It helps to tell others where you stand. The same applies to labels like Kaum. Does it help in the conversation? Gurus were not interested in this. For us it makes sense to others where we stand that is all.

For the above reasons, you will not find definite dates, times etc in SGGS or other books. They are not history books, news papers, legal affidavits etc. They are full of ideas and concepts to be thought about and understood. These are given in the practices of that time. For example Babar Vani tells us about Babar's treatment of people from spiritual perspective and not historical therefore no dates. The writings of saints and pirs of other religions are given as examples of commonality of ideas, concepts and thoughts.
Jarnail Singh Khalsa
New User

gurmail wrote:A person called Nanak is the first one with a message. The accepted date and place for this day is in the literature if important and must have. personally, I don't bother because I find the message more interesting. Unfortunately, in those days people were poor and didn't keep records of things like dates and time, no watches or calenders etc.

Ordinary people who stopped their daily chores and listened to him became known as shishiya of Guru Nanak. Shishiya means student in the old lingo. Shishiyas take shikhiya (learning). Sikhiya became sikh because people were punjabis and were not that good at Sanskrit. The students must have been chided (clip around the ear) by their parents for being lazy sitting there listening to another so called "GURU" who spoke punjabi and therefore didn't even know Sanskrit like a proper Guru. Students must have insisted that they were taking Sikhiya. Therefore the name Sikh for these early students. It could have been worse like lazy good for nothing so and so's. In my opinion Guru Nanak must have related to all this name calling because I am sure at one his own father must have been very fed up with him. You know what parents are like.

Conclusion is that Guru Nanak didn't start any religion, he just talked sense and people thronged to listen to him. Another example of this happening is christianity. Jesus had a message and over time it led to christian and christianity.

The thing about Guru's message is that you have to go away and think about it yourself. That is the whole point . Message is to think for yourself. The SGGS has to be read studied examined from left, right, up, down every which way to understand it fully. Gurus only talk about one race of humanity.
If over time people want to give themselves labels and call themselves followers of Sikh Religion that is ok. It helps to tell others where you stand. The same applies to labels like Kaum. Does it help in the conversation? Gurus were not interested in this. For us it makes sense to others where we stand that is all.

For the above reasons, you will not find definite dates, times etc in SGGS or other books. They are not history books, news papers, legal affidavits etc. They are full of ideas and concepts to be thought about and understood. These are given in the practices of that time. For example Babar Vani tells us about Babar's treatment of people from spiritual perspective and not historical therefore no dates. The writings of saints and pirs of other religions are given as examples of commonality of ideas, concepts and thoughts.
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fathe

Thank you Gurmail Singh Ji for answering my question.
Jarnail Singh Khalsa
New User

I am waiting some more reply on Questions from other members in the forum.
Jarnail Singh Khalsa
New User

Jarnail Singh Khalsa wrote:
gurmail wrote:A person called Nanak is the first one with a message. The accepted date and place for this day is in the literature if important and must have. personally, I don't bother because I find the message more interesting. Unfortunately, in those days people were poor and didn't keep records of things like dates and time, no watches or calenders etc.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fathe

Thank you Gurmail Singh Ji for answering my question.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe.

You seem very knowledgeable sensible person. Did you read SGGS from beginning to end? If yes, what is it's message in few words in nutshell? Please tell us.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Post by gurmail »

Jarnail Singh Khalsa Ji,

I haven't read SGGS much, if any. My whole belief system is based on a simple idea. Guru Ji when compiling SGGS wouldn't have allowed writings to contradict any earlier compilations. As you will notice in the holy books of other religions. If you take this idea to its logical conclusion then nothing in SGGS contradicts Mool Mantar because that is the starting message of Guru Nanak.
This, I believe, is the reason writings and thoughts of Hindu, Muslim, etc persons are included. Therefore, understand Mool Mantar then you are on your way. Then you can listen to other peoples work, check it out if it satisfies the Mool Mantar requirements. I find this approach more fun than trying to read it on my own, in isolation or be indocrinated by A.N. Other's thoughts when studying in company.
You can listen to the Gurbani Whiteboards: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... g+kar+kaur
I find it pretty good in meeting my criterion.