Amrit Vela in changing times

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Amrit Vela in changing times

Postby sunny1567 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:19 am

I feel a sense dilemma when I try to follow the regime that ensures an Amrit Vela for me. The fact that the most of the people in my friends circle find it odd when I request to wind up a get-together say by 10' ish. And, even I feel that in a group of about 8-10 people, I am the only one who comes in with such a demand. Then after a few days, I just somehow get out of the schedule.

Also a lot people have socializing oriented leads in business/work, now ensuring a schedule where you are a early morning person means that you have to let to all the late night patterns, which most people prefer. It kind of feels as if some effort is being involved, whereas I understand sikhism as a very natural course to divine. Amrit Vela is tremendously powerful, but following it is becoming tougher and tougher as the world is progressing.

The changing times and lifestyle have made it a somehwat challenging. So, I am just looking for someone to help me out of this dilemma. I often feel that 300 years ago, everyone woke up early and slept by 9 PM, but now that the pattern is changing how to not let this negative thought pattern affect me? Not arguing if Amrit Vela is significant or not, if pre-dawn means Amrit Vela or not, but seeking someone to help me clear out my confusion.
sunny1567
New User

Re: Amrit Vela in changing times

Postby JeejaJi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm

300 years ago they had people who worked the night shifts such as soldiers, police officers and night watch.
Amrit vela means prioritizing god in our life. If you can stay out late and still get up at spend time contemplating god, it is fine. But don’t use staying out late as a reason for not being able to prioritize god.

sunny1567 wrote:I feel a sense dilemma when I try to follow the regime that ensures an Amrit Vela for me. The fact that the most of the people in my friends circle find it odd when I request to wind up a get-together say by 10' ish. And, even I feel that in a group of about 8-10 people, I am the only one who comes in with such a demand. Then after a few days, I just somehow get out of the schedule.

Also a lot people have socializing oriented leads in business/work, now ensuring a schedule where you are a early morning person means that you have to let to all the late night patterns, which most people prefer. It kind of feels as if some effort is being involved, whereas I understand sikhism as a very natural course to divine. Amrit Vela is tremendously powerful, but following it is becoming tougher and tougher as the world is progressing.

The changing times and lifestyle have made it a somehwat challenging. So, I am just looking for someone to help me out of this dilemma. I often feel that 300 years ago, everyone woke up early and slept by 9 PM, but now that the pattern is changing how to not let this negative thought pattern affect me? Not arguing if Amrit Vela is significant or not, if pre-dawn means Amrit Vela or not, but seeking someone to help me clear out my confusion.
JeejaJi
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers