Why do Sikhs cut their nails but keep their hair?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
blistexmedia
New User

Why do Sikhs cut their nails but keep their hair?

Post by blistexmedia »

I am wondering what a response to this question would be. From my understanding SIkhs keep their hair because they want to be noticeable in a crowd and nothing else. If this is the case then a Sikh could be allowed to trim their nails or upkeep the rest of their body.
Bundha
Power User

Re: Why do Sikhs cut their nails but keep their hair?

Post by Bundha »

Kesh are a marker of Sikh identity that identify to the world who is a Sikh. Sikhs walk the earth announcing proudly their religion while others give no sign of their convictions. In addition, hair and nails are totally different. Having long nails inhibits use of the hand , long hair is even a reflection of good health, it is also not an impediment to daily life. Isn't it a slap in the face of those people who shave, when a day later the hair returns? Do they not think that maybe it is how God intended!
The kesh is the Stamp of your Guru, look around even till this day, no other religion insists on Kesh specifically to both sexes and yet every prophet had long hair – Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Mohammed, even Sri Ram Chandra Ji and Bhagwan Krishan Ji in old texts are depicted with long hair and beards.
It is a unique, royal, elegant sign of power and divine. Almost all the portraits of GOD in the east and in the West always have long hair on the head and a beard. Do you ever think why that is? It is because subconsciously throughout the world it is recognised that hair on the head and beard in man resembles something divine, kind, loving, rich and powerful.
Take a look at any pictures/paintings of a princess all have long flowing hair, subconsciously we all know long hair is associated with health and beauty
You can do a little test yourself, take two pictures of a similar aged age man dressed in similar clothing with similar body language and facial expression, one having short hair and clean shaven and the other having long hair and full beard, they do not need to have a turban, then ask anybody at random to point out who looks more religious. Regardless of the persons background I am sure they will pick the person with long hair and beard. Think for yourself why in 2015 somebody will think that long hair and beard represent something religious and divine.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Gaganjeet
Active Forum User

Post by Gaganjeet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF211fAKt4I

all the ancient people kept hair. it has lot of spiritual significance. ancient chinese, Native americans, Vedic indians. also, we remove dead skin by taking bath, remove dead nails and dead hair using a comb. the above video will give you an idea about its importance in meditation
Gaganjeet
Active Forum User

Post by Gaganjeet »

Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

blistexmedia wrote:I am wondering what a response to this question would be. From my understanding SIkhs keep their hair because they want to be noticeable in a crowd and nothing else. If this is the case then a Sikh could be allowed to trim their nails or upkeep the rest of their body.
Because that is what Tenth Guru of Sikhs, Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji [Founder of Khalsa & Sikh identity] asked Sikhs to do.
Thanks

Post by Guest »

I think Sikhs believe in Kirat karni and hence cut nails. I thought about the same question in the year 2001 as I thought that both hair and nails are protein and why one is preferred versus other. I am not sure if word Kes at some level means case or long memory or something. Otherwise I am a doctor and we know hair has nothing to do with neurons or long term/short term memory. But I just thought about that when I looked at the girl with very long hair in the Asha Bhosle song parde mein rehne do where someone is looking for some spiritual answers and goes to temples etc looking for that girl.
swarn bains
Power User

Post by swarn bains »

lovely answer. thank u doctor