Career Change or Stay?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
Nimue2
New User

Career Change or Stay?

Post by Nimue2 »

Hello,

I have been feeling unaccomplished lately in my career as a teacher. I have recently been offered several positions exploring humanitarian work - which is my passion - but which pays much less than my current position.

My current supervisor now approached me with an offer to promote me... If I stay in my current job.

Should I stay where the money is stable or chase my heart? I am trapped between being a practical human, and having a loving soul (as my cousin put it)
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
swarn bains
Power User

Re: Career Change or Stay?

Post by swarn bains »

follow you mind and decide the way you think appropriate
Bundha
Power User

Post by Bundha »

BhaJi/Benji,

Do ardass to Guru Nanak Dev Ji and ask them to show you the path you should take.
Whichever it is, if Guru Nanak Dev Ji is happy then you surly will be to.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
tealeave
New User

Post by tealeave »

Nimue ji
You're right to think before leaping and admire your wish to help others. I gave up a well paid job to retrain to do a job helping others but sometimes do regret it. I saved up enough to manage while I trained but now I've started in this new profession it is initially not well paid and will take a few years to build up my salary. money isn't everything but if you're on your own, like me you have to think about financial security too and it can be very stressful making ends meet. Its not something I'm used to as always had savings to fall back on. Is there a way you can combine what you're doing and also do the humanitarian work. Your employer may let you reduce your hours so you can combine both or maybe let you take a sabbatical for a short while. I would say think about the long-term implications to changing your job and try to plan and prepare as best you can.

Hope that helps.
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Post by Singh2000 »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

Nimue Ji, You don't need to change your career in my view. Always go for job where you get well paid, good working hours, good environment, good people. Take your work like seva, this will give you satisfaction. Don't take credit or appreciation just thanks Waheguru if you do good. In your free time you can do humanitarian work at hospital or other places. You can also donate for humanitarian work.

Thanks!