Gurus and Christianity

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Gurus and Christianity

Postby Jatinder Khaira » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:38 am

Hello

My question is that I'm wondering if there is any evidence in any Bani, rehitnamas talking anything about Christianity like eg Jesus Christ?

I know in some English translations (Srigranth.org) Christian word is mentioned but does it actually talk about Christianity or is it meaning to refer to a bunch of different religions? Sorry I can't pull out those quotes Srigranth.org is down right now.

If not is there any stories about the Gurus or the Sikhs at "that time of the Gurus" talking about or having anything to do with Christianity?

I know Baba Adam and i think...Moses is mentioned in Guru Granth Sahib? Sat Sangat ji I might be mistaken, please correct me if so.

Thank You.
Jatinder Khaira
Active Forum User

Re: Gurus and Christianity

Postby Luckysingh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 am

They are all acknowledged in gurbani as ved, ketab, simritees etc...

Jesus Christ was avtar of God, which is why he is referred to as Jesus of Nazareth. ...meaning, he was the son of God and from a place. In the same way, Guru Nanak ji was also an avtar of God but he had completely removed his veil of illusion and was the roop of God in completeness.

Most faiths are misunderstood and misinterpreted from their texts. Gurbani tries to teach us this and gurbani doesn't speak against any texts but speaks against actions of us manmukhs. This is particularly in cases where religious leaders had used the texts to justify manmat practices.

The stories and parallels are present in every religion but we have to find them by looking. The connection is in the esoteric spiritual aspects and not the subject play of parables. The hidden messages behind the can be identified once a Sikh starts doing the practical of abyaas and naam japna.
Luckysingh
New User

Postby Jatinder Khaira » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:52 am

Luckysingh wrote:They are all acknowledged in gurbani as ved, ketab, simritees etc...

Jesus Christ was avtar of God, which is why he is referred to as Jesus of Nazareth. ...meaning, he was the son of God and from a place. In the same way, Guru Nanak ji was also an avtar of God but he had completely removed his veil of illusion and was the roop of God in completeness.

Most faiths are misunderstood and misinterpreted from their texts. Gurbani tries to teach us this and gurbani doesn't speak against any texts but speaks against actions of us manmukhs. This is particularly in cases where religious leaders had used the texts to justify manmat practices

Page 1021, Line 16
ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਤਾ ॥
बेद कतेबी भेदु न जाता ॥
Beḏ kaṯebī bẖeḏ na jāṯā.
The Vedas and the Bible do not know the mystery of God.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Thanks for your response Lucky Singh;)

However I still have a couple of questions: Based on the above quote I got from Srigranth.org...
Is the word "kateb" actually referring to the Bible?
Also isn't this quote speaking a little against these texts? Just trying to clarify this for myself. I know 14 other places the Bible is mentioned (according to Srigranth.org) and it doesn't seem like it is talking against any texts.

Thank you very much.
Jatinder Khaira
Active Forum User

Postby Gaganjeet » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:59 am

Anything written down on paper cannot have been of Nirankaar. Guru Nanak sahib says "je ko kahe piche pachotaye" So it not against these books but a general statement that the Shabad roop god is beyond words..
Gaganjeet
Active Forum User

Postby nanuckpunthee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Jatinder Khaira wrote:Is the word "kateb" actually referring to the Bible?

'Kateb' refers to Islamic Holy Books, not Bible.

I don't think there is any reference to Bible or Christianity in Guru Granth Sahib
nanuckpunthee
Active Forum User

Postby [email protected] » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am

nanuckpunthee wrote:
Jatinder Khaira wrote:Is the word "kateb" actually referring to the Bible?

'Kateb' refers to Islamic Holy Books, not Bible.

I don't think there is any reference to Bible or Christianity in Guru Granth Sahib

[Quote=I don't think there is any reference to Bible or Christianity in Guru Granth Sahib

Reply:

Its true that Kateb is actually referring to ISLAMIC books but its referring to Christian Bible books and abrahamic judaic texts as well unkowingly

Kateb includes: Taurat: The Book of Moses(Which is part of old testament in Christian bible and Jewish Bible, Zabur: The Book of David part of old testament in Christian Bible Jewish Bible

Injil: New Testament & Quran (New testament which is part of Christian Bible which has Gospels and others things related to Yeshua), New testament is known as injil in Quran

After Judaic Scriptures, Catholic scriptures, Christian scriptures, Islamic scriptures came much later which has parts of first three scriptures.[/Quote]
ajdavid.jackson[email protected]
New User

Return to Questions and Answers