Why does listening to Gurbani or kirtanmake me cry?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Re: Why does listening to Gurbani or kirtanmake me cry?

Postby fearless » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 am

ok so here it is 3 and a half weeks wivout a spliff, and only 1 drink, i guess im doin ok, and the listening to kirtan and paath is defo brining me a sense of peace so that has become my routine to listen to everyday,

thank you all once again
nina x
fearless
New User

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:25 am

Fateh parwaan karro ji,

Last year while listening to Kirtan by Akhand Kirtani Jatha I started crying. And then I felt my body tingle.

My Nanaji used to start crying when he took Hukam. My Mom used to tell me he used to feel as if Guruji was talking to him when he took Hukam.

Maybe in your sub- conscience you know you have erred and Bani makes you realize this and so the tears. Tomorrow these tears of sorrow could turn to tears of joy when in your sub-conscience you know that you have corrected yourself and you start loving Gurbani.

Guru Rakha
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby charandhor » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:56 pm

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

it happens to me also.i remember the day when i went to guru ghar after a long time.when i bow my head before guru ji i started crying bitterly.tears were rolling from my cheeks but it was like in heaven.i was not willing to move but friend of mine lifted me up.believe me i told my friend i will come agian here if guru ram das ji will talk to me.and with the grace of sangat this sinful soul get blessed by guru ramdas ji's hukamnama.hearing those guru's word i felt guru ji always want to talk to those who want to talk to him.piyari sangat ji it is my personal experiance.from tht very day i quit smoking, drinking and turned pure vegetarian.
SANGAT JI ALL BE SAY
DHAN DHAN SAHIB SHIRI GURU RAMDAS JI
charandhor
New User

Postby karakara » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:14 am

fearless ji,

Great name! I challenge you to live up to it!

Dear fearless --

The fact that Kirtan has such an overwhelmingly powerful effect on you, and elicits such an uncontrollable, powerful emotional response, is a cause for celebration!

Look, you are being touched by Naad at the core of your being: your inner divinity is being awakened! So you are overtaken with love and emotion -- this speaks well of your divine nature. You cry, partly, because when your essence is being permeated by Naad, you intuitively acknowledge that God is at that moment living and breathing through you, that you belong to God.

You don't need to understand Gurbani or Naad in the beginning.. Naad is real, as real as the air, the sky, the water, as fire. Naad is self-evidently real. How can we prove love? We can't , but it's real. Naad and Kirtan are more powerful that I would have ever imagined in my 'secular' days, before I discovered the Gurus.

Friend, I am considered 'tough'.. ex military, serious personality. It's not my nature to back down from anything, and the thought of submitting or bowing down to anyone had always been hateful, the antithesis of my pragmatic, no-nonsense 'tough guy' persona. All that changed when I began to listen to Kirtan. I too have been unable to suppress a river of tears.. but tears of joy. Now, if I feel a tear welling up while listening to Kirtan, I don't even try to stop it.

Just remember, if you cry, and you see anyone else crying during Kirtan, then this is the best possible sign that God is manifesting His presence.

I respect you for such an admission. I celebrate your tears!

Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru!!
"If you cannot see God in all, you cannot see God at all."

"When there is no hope, YOU become The Hope!"

-- Sri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogijee
karakara
Power User

Postby japleenkaur » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:46 am

Sat Shri Akaal to everyone,

Listening to Gurbani can often make you cry for some reasons. When I was young; I never understood a word or the meaning of kirtan Bhai Sahib ji's used to do and often used to cry as either I used to miss my dad or seeing my mother cry for someone else used to make me cry. That happened to me when i was young a lot and i haven't forgotten people asking me about, "Why are you crying, bacha?"
But, today I had an experience of realising what true Waheguru is and how can Waheguru change your life by every means. I was in my lessons in college and I was listening to this shabad while doing my work on Sikh essay. At that exact moment, I got chills down my back; and i wanted to cry out loud. This made me realise that i am very close to Waheguru Ji and He is blessing me with his powers to work hard in life and forget me past; so that i can move forward in my life. Today I have understood the importance of God in my life and I will never turn my back on my God (Waheguru ji).

Waheguru JI ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Kaur.
japleenkaur
New User

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers