I am no longer a Sikh after a lifetime of studying it

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

I am no longer a Sikh after a lifetime of studying it

Postby JaspreetS013 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:55 am

Hello all!

I just wanted to share my experience with Sikhism. After a lot of experience with Religion and studying various faiths, I am now a Atheist and believe this to be the best path in life.

At one time I used to wear a Turban, recite Japji sahib in the morning, have unshorn hair etc. I wasn't baptized but there was a good chance I would be baptized one day. 

Sikhism teaches a lot of good things. There is absolutely no doubt about this. Sikhs showed bravery, I love the concept of langaar and many other things Sikhs do or have done. 
However, the more I thought about it the more I realized that it follows the same formula as any other Religion (though I'll admit it's a lot better than some religions like Islam).
- Just like most other religions there is a strict dress code. Recently I took a white friend of mine to the Gurudwara and he was scared to go in. He asked me why he had to cover his hair, why he had to remove his shoes. I told him it is to show respect! But come on now.. 

- There were no Women Sikh Gurus and even today some Gurudwaras don't allow Women to do service. This is just like any other religion where Women are not considered equivalent to men. I know there are verses in Guru Granth
Sahib Ji where women are elevated but actions speak louder than words.

- Why wear a Turban, grow long hair? It is completely based on blind faith. There is no scientific or good reason to have long hair or to wear a Turban. It appears completely cultural and serves no purpose in the 21st Century.

- Many people including myself have to face a lot of abuse from their family and relatives when they cut their hair. I was called Mona, manmukh etc. by my family. This is like all other religions where the person is guilted for leaving that group. Sounds almost like a cult! It's not as bad as Islam though where your head is cut off for being a apostate.

- Guru Granth Sahib Ji is said to be divinely inspired but there are no Real scientific passages in there which proves this. For instance, if it mentioned the age of Earth or some scientific discovery which was not yet discovered, that would definitely be a good reason to believe its divinity.
JaspreetS013
New User

Return to Questions and Answers