Sikhism and the disabled.

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Sikhism and the disabled.

Postby Gora » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am

Please excuse me, this is my first post and I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of your faith and culture to help me help someone else.

I'm a support worker for a youngman with down syndrome and autism, the court has taken him out of the care of his family due to neglect and financial abuse.

He is not aware enough to make a decision on the matter of religion but out of deference to his cultural heritage we avoid giving him beef.

Sorry for rambling but I felt the need to give some insight as to where my questions are coming from.

Questions:

How does Sikhism view the disabled?

Would it be inappropriate to hang a picture of one or more of the guru's?

If it is ok to hang a picture, which of the guru's would be appropriate? I see temples to Guru Nanak I believe he was the founder of Sikhism?

Is there a specific cultural symbol associated with Sikhism that would be appropriate for him?

Thank you in advance.
Gora
New User

Re: Sikhism and the disabled.

Postby Harbhajan S. Sangha » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am

The Amazing Story of Pingalwara and Bhagat Puran Singh

Sikhism is at the core of Pingalwara. The literal meaning of Pingalwara is 'a home for the handicapped', however, Pingalwara does far more. The institution caters to the needs of the crippled, the insane and the terminally sick. Originally, a place for the destitute in Amritsar in Punjab......…

http://www.discoversikhism.com/sikhism/pingalwara.html
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Postby Bundha » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Gora, nice to hear from you.

I think it would be really nice if you hung a picture of one of the Gurus. It actually doesn't matter which Guru picture you use as we regard all 10 Gurus with the same highest regard, but normally you can use picture of Guru Nanak Dev Ji (1st Guru) or Guru Gobind Singh Ji (10th Guru) as they are the most recognisable.

Symbols you are use are the Khanda or Ek-on-kaar (google them).

If the young man is able to speak it would be beneficial to teach him to say 'Waheguru' as many Sikhs repeat this name of God in their minds through the course of the day.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Gora » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you both for the replies, his speach is limited but I'll try him with "Waheguru" thanks and I'll see what we can get in way of cultural decorations now I know its appropriate.
Gora
New User

Return to Questions and Answers