Halal

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Halal

Postby Aude » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 am

Good evening, I am converting to Sikhism and I am a 16 year old French girl. Last night we went to the restaurant and had to eat halal meat. I know that eating meat is a little contrary to the principles of Sikhism, but that's not the question. I would like to know if it's serious if I ate halal meat. I did not know it until I entered the restaurant and I could not cancel my order. thank you in advance and excuse my english
Aude
New User

Re: Halal

Postby Kurasu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:16 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh.

I must be honest: of what I know, the eating of Halal meat is far more contrary to the principles of Sikhi than simply the eating of meat. There are many ways to interpret the eating of meat in general, but of Halal meat, it is quite specific.

A good writing that I found on the discussion of eating meat in general:

https://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threads/ ... lesh.8828/

As for whether it is serious or not, in my humble opinion, it is a mistake and done. Do not beat yourself up, but accept that it was a mistake and learn. If the meat is Halal, apologize that you are not allowed to eat it by the word of your religion.

It is serious if you do so, knowingly and with intent. It is something to take atonement for that it was done accidentally, but Waheguru forgives and Waheguru knows if it was done knowingly and with intent.
Kurasu
New User

Return to Questions and Answers