Keeping kesh in high school

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Keeping kesh in high school

Postby gurman123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:56 am

So heres my situation. I have recently come closer to sikhi and being a mona, i want to keep my hair. I am in the middle of high school and, i know i probably shouldnt care what people think but i do and i dont know how to go about this. This is probably a pretty dumb post but i'd just like you guys' advice on my situation.
gurman123
New User

Re: Keeping kesh in high school

Postby loveforsikhi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 pm

gurman123 wrote:So heres my situation. I have recently come closer to sikhi and being a mona, i want to keep my hair. I am in the middle of high school and, i know i probably shouldnt care what people think but i do and i dont know how to go about this. This is probably a pretty dumb post but i'd just like you guys' advice on my situation.

Great idea! I think the importance is just in being confident in your path now, and that helps if you like get to know other young people your age who also have kept their hair (any friends or people at your Gurdwara, or alternatively at camps) and just have support from them so if issues do arise you have someone else who understands that you can talk to them about it. High school is an awkward time for most anyways as people explore who they are, so actually on one hand its kind of a good time to make this change since everyone is also making their own adjustments. I think the hard part is that sometimes there can be a bullying atmosphere which I sense you may be a bit worried about, but really I think if you are confident in your direction no one can stop you and rather you will likely find a lot of new positive things about keeping your kes. So I think its a great idea, just be a bit mentally prepared beforehand and stick to it.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers