Coping with Depression

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Coping with Depression

Postby adamlevine » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States, affecting more than 16 million men and women (almost 6.7 percent of the adult population) and 3.1 million adolescents. It is a serious mental illness in which feelings of sadness, hopelessness, loss of interest, anger, frustration, or other negative emotions like irritability (especially in adolescents) last for weeks or years and interfere with daily life. All people experience moments when they feel sad or blue, but these feelings usually pass within a couple of days and are not indicative of depression. According to EverydayHealth depression can cause deep emotional pain both to the person experiencing it and, often, to that person’s
close family and friends.
My sister is coping with depression relapse, she is in her early thirties, I appreciate if any one can share some advice or resources, it will help me understand and help her better.
adamlevine
New User

Re: Coping with Depression

Postby Kurasu » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh.

While I recommend that you and your sister get individual help, I recommend that you read the question about depression that was asked just below this one. The answers are not just for one person, but also to offer advice, wisdom, and encouragement for others depressed as well.

Without knowing where your sister lives, it is difficult to know what resources to offer. That is something that is best done in your local area.

However, there are global hotlines for people to use to talk, if they are in crisis:

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

While you seek help with the body, however, also seek help with the soul (if you'll pardon my turn of phrase). Do not go alone. Seek out your community. Find people, even if it is only one person, who can be a friend and a light to you. Go to your Gurdwara and listen to the Kirtan. Take Langar, even if you only sit quietly. Find friends among those who understand the spiritual struggles that come with the physical struggles, and accept that they, too, can help be strength for you.
Kurasu
New User

Postby dalipsingh5 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:39 am

SSA,
People with a blocked Solar Plexus Chakra suffer depression. I suggest she wears a chakra beads bracelet to balance her chakras. I know this sounds like it won't work. That's what I thought until I tried it, it made a big difference for such a little item. The chakras control the hormones in your body which affect your mood and emotions. Do some research...
dalipsingh5
New User

Postby loveforsikhi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

adamlevine wrote:Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States, affecting more than 16 million men and women (almost 6.7 percent of the adult population) and 3.1 million adolescents. It is a serious mental illness in which feelings of sadness, hopelessness, loss of interest, anger, frustration, or other negative emotions like irritability (especially in adolescents) last for weeks or years and interfere with daily life. All people experience moments when they feel sad or blue, but these feelings usually pass within a couple of days and are not indicative of depression. According to EverydayHealth depression can cause deep emotional pain both to the person experiencing it and, often, to that person’s
close family and friends.
My sister is coping with depression relapse, she is in her early thirties, I appreciate if any one can share some advice or resources, it will help me understand and help her better.

Indeed depression is quite common. Depression is defined by a doctor when someone has either low mood or not enjoying usual activities plus a certain number of the following: sleep problems, guilt/low self esteem, tired, poor concentration, appetite change, or suicidal thoughts. It has to be most of the day, for most days in at two week period. It also has to be affecting a person’s functioning. Sometimes people with depression are so debilitated they don’t leave their homes, or have trouble in their daily activities. Sometimes they are higher functioning and other people may not even notice, but inside they are struggling very much. I think that it is good that you are trying to understand your sister. I think it is best to try to ask her yourself and reach out to her to ask if there is any way you can help to support her.

I think that there is so much going on in the mind when a person enters depression. It is hard for an outsider to think that someone is thinking such low or sad thoughts, or suicidal thoughts even. But the brain isn’t functioning the same and is having trouble having perspective. So I think it is important to have someone to talk to and the best is a trained counsellor, but family and friends also helps. Exercise is also really important for mood. Setting small goals of what she can do is important as well. With women there is sometimes hormone related things like post partum depression after having a baby, or depression when on birth control pills, or depression from thyroid problems. Seeing a doctor is important to get the proper resources, even if she doesn’t want to go on medications for depression. I think that as someone else said, its not just about the body. its about the mind and soul too. I think perhaps nowadays we do not focus enough on these things. Like about the spirituality, the purpose of our coming to the world, to dig deep into our being and connect to God. The suggestions of going to the Gurdwara, listening to Kirtan, and finding friends is great. I think sangat is extremely important, and so is human connection. The healing powers of Gurbani are amazing. We must make efforts to understand what Gurbani is telling us. Good for you for trying to help your sister and understand.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers