Caring For A Damaged Kesh

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Caring For A Damaged Kesh

Postby Kurasu » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am a Canadian who, two years ago, converted to SIkhi. While I will never be able to be Amritdhari, I still keep my kesh. Or I have tried to, at least.

However, due to physical and mental illness over the last long while, I have not been taking such good care of myself. I will not try to make excuses for it, but only say that it is a thing that has happened. Because of this, my beard has begun to be quite unhealthy.The ends are splitting and it is unkempt. My head hair is the same, though at least with my losing my hair (natural male baldness) it doesn't show as much.

I am recovering and getting help, and trying to take better care of myself now. However, my beard and hair still shows signs of the long illness and poor care. I would like to be able to fix the damage, but to do so, I would have to trim the dead ends of the beard and hair to neaten it and hopefully help it grow healthy again. However, Guru Granth says that the hair is not to be trimmed.

I am at a loss. I don't know who to turn to in order to ask how best to handle this, or if I am meant to wear my mistake naturally. I can find no information on how this would be dealt with. I do know that I have no intention of shaving either my head or my beard, unless it becomes medically necessary to do so for surgery (and I pray that it never becomes that necessary!), but is it permissible to trim it in order to help clean it and let it grow strong again?
Kurasu
New User

Re: Caring For A Damaged Kesh

Postby minni123 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 am

Gurfateh ji Brother/Sister,

Where ever you are, remember you are not alone I wish you all the best in your mental health journey.

In saying this, Guru Granth Sahib never said not to look after your hygiene. It is essential a true Gursikh keeps him/herself clean and well kept. If your kesh is up to that point that it is difficult to manage, cut it and start fresh. I see nothing "anti" sikh about that.

This new generation of sikhs have got the wrong concept of Sikhi COMPLETELY WRONG. We are told to be a Saint Soldier. SAINT FIRST, then Soldier. Spiritually make yourself strong...looking like a sikh is just uniform remember, does not mean anything if you do not practice it in reality.

God Bless,

Australian Singh
minni123
New User

Return to Questions and Answers