Sahajdhari Marg

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Sahajdhari Marg

Postby kapil trivedi » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Sat Sri Akal

I was born in Hindu Family . Since childhood I have keen interest in understanding GOD and praying to him.
I have gone through various scriptures like BhagvatGita, Quran . I am also trying to understand Sri Gurugranth Sahebji though online channesl like you tube.

I am also trying to understand the teachings of various Gurus. I have a question since Guru Nank Devji had denied to wear Holy thread in child hood and instead asked for giving him holy thread which in unbreakable and will permanently connect to GDO, then why Guru Gobind Singhji has asked Sikhs to possess 5 K to be identified as Sikh

I am impressed with idea of monotheism and understaning waheguru through teachings of Guru but is not convinced with wearing turban and 5K. I think it had not been advised by Nank Devji.

Please help me to understand this point. Also ca a person be Sikh without keeaing Turban and 5K
kapil trivedi
New User

Re: Sahajdhari Marg

Postby loveforsikhi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

kapil trivedi wrote:Sat Sri Akal

I was born in Hindu Family . Since childhood I have keen interest in understanding GOD and praying to him.
I have gone through various scriptures like BhagvatGita, Quran . I am also trying to understand Sri Gurugranth Sahebji though online channesl like you tube.

I am also trying to understand the teachings of various Gurus. I have a question since Guru Nank Devji had denied to wear Holy thread in child hood and instead asked for giving him holy thread which in unbreakable and will permanently connect to GDO, then why Guru Gobind Singhji has asked Sikhs to possess 5 K to be identified as Sikh

I am impressed with idea of monotheism and understaning waheguru through teachings of Guru but is not convinced with wearing turban and 5K. I think it had not been advised by Nank Devji.

Please help me to understand this point. Also ca a person be Sikh without keeaing Turban and 5K

My understanding of the difference is this. The Janeoo was given only to certain castes, and only to males. It was part of a system that caused discrimination based on caste and sexism, that enforced the idea that those of lower castes and females cannot achieve salvation in this life. In Sikhi we do not do this discrimination. The 5 K’s are given to all. At that time there was a lot of false show but people were not spiritual inside. They were rather doing ritualistic things, and Guru Nanak Dev Ji spread the deeper spiritual message that people need to change inside and not just tie a thread. The 5 K’s give us an identity as Sikhs, and also have practical functions. The jot within Guru Nanak was the same as all the Gurus. So there is no inconsistency- we cannot say that anything that one Guru Ji said was not the same as all Guru Jis- the message was the same as it came straight from God. On your other question, yes there are many Sikhs who have not yet become Amritdhari and are still finding their way. Those Sikhs do not yet carry the 5 Ks. Bhul chuk maaf karni
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Re: Sahajdhari Marg

Postby Bundha » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Kapil Ji,

Firstly we must not think of the Gurus as being separate entities, they were the same Jyote in successive bodies. The jyote was the same,
hence the mission was the same, and Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s final form given to the Sikhs was a culmination of all that the Gurus had prepared the ground for.
So there is really no picking a choosing what you like and what you don’t like, when looked at deeply it is all the same message.

The Janayo was seen as a way of worshipping God by the people, the thinking was that if you wore the ganayo then you were worshipping God and Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that this was incorrect because if the ganayo break then does you worshipping break ? or does you faith in God break? This was in the same vein as people offering water to the sun thinking it would reach their ancestors or the ritual of Saraadh which is offerings to the ancestors.

Firstly the Kakars give a sense of order and belonging and remember the Khalsa was created at a time of turmoil so it has its roots in the martial tradition which leads to the Rehat or code of conduct that gives its followers discipline and a moral code. and they are for all people not just for the high priest or privileged classes.The kakars have a purpose, the kirpan, the kashera, the unshorn hair all have a purpose and significance. It is the beginning on the road to nirvana, but you do not get enlightenment just by wearing them, there us a long road ahead. Guru Nanak Dev Ji created Sant and Guru Gobind Singh Ji transformed them into Sant Sapahi. You could say that Sant Sapahi were needed at the time as there was such lawlessness and upheaval but Guru Ji in His foresightedness created the Khalsa for always. We need to be disciplined and we need a moral compass and we need to follow a rehat / code of conduct.

Guru Ji once gave the hukam that no Khalsa shall even touch a turkwoman, on the face of it one may say why? What is wrong with them? Are they considered dirty or beneath us? But looking deeper the reason was to adhere the Khalsa to a higher ideal, to keep them with the highest of morals. At the time it was open season by the invaders on the indigenous women population and atrocities were committed against them on a daily basis and Guru Ji did not want His Khalsa to follow suit and retaliate in kind, He wanted His Khalsa to stick to a high moral code and regard all women as his sisters or daughters. The message is the same, from Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Return to Questions and Answers