Reciting which paath would get me wealth and prosperity?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Reciting which paath would get me wealth and prosperity?

Postby Xs2SinghSaab » Mon May 28, 2018 1:13 am

Sikhs are usually very rich and well off. How is that happening?
Is there a particular paath that bestows this blessing?
I do want spiritual ascent ultimately however a certain amount of wealth is really necessary to have attention free from money matters and ones financial status.
I really need to progress in my career, learn more things, earn more. I am already late.
So is it Sukhmani Sahib or some other?
Xs2SinghSaab
New User

Re: Reciting which paath would get me wealth and prosperity?

Postby RicktheSikh » Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Your efforts will be fruitless if wealth is your motivation for worship. It is not recitation of words that pleases God. It is heartfelt devotion. Make this your focus and everything else will follow, although once you have a meaningful relationship with God your desire for material things will diminish.
RicktheSikh
New User

Postby loveforsikhi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:24 am

"RicktheSikh" provided a wonderful answer. I will add on that life is not a race, and you don't have to worry about being late. Don't compare yourself to others because you are on your own path. Work hard for your earnings, this is what we are taught. It is by God's graces that we have all of these gifts so be thankful. It is a misconception that you need a certain amount of wealth to be attention free from money. This is a thought- and the desire will grow as you earn more. You will think you need more of a cushion to be comfortable, then more. This is a trap of your mind. Many people are entirely poor and still attained spiritual liberation. God provided them with what they needed on a daily basis. So you need to change the way you think about this scenario.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Postby Kurasu » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

If you will excuse my pasting:

ਜਗਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਗੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥
(The world is polluted with the filth of egotism, suffering in pain. This filth sticks to them because of their love of duality.)

ਮਲੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਧੋਤੀ ਕਿਵੈ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਜੇ ਸਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਨਾਇ ॥
(This filth of egotism cannot be washed away, even by taking cleansing baths at hundreds of sacred shrines.)

ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਦੂਣੀ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਗੀ ਆਇ ॥
(Performing all sorts of rituals, people are smeared with twice as much filth.)

ਪੜਿਐ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਗਿਆਨੀਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥
(This filth is not removed by studying. Go ahead, and ask the wise ones. ||1||)

ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਿ ਆਵੈ ਤਾ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
(O my mind, coming to the Sanctuary of the Guru, you shall become immaculate and pure.)

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਥਕੇ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਸਕੀ ਧੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
(The self-willed manmukhs have grown weary of chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, but their filth cannot be removed. ||1||Pause||)

ਮਨਿ ਮੈਲੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥
(With a polluted mind, devotional service cannot be performed, and the Naam, the Name of the Lord, cannot be obtained.)

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੈਲੇ ਮੈਲੇ ਮੁਏ ਜਾਸਨਿ ਪਤਿ ਗਵਾਇ ॥
(The filthy, self-willed manmukhs die in filth, and they depart in disgrace.)

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਲੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
(By Guru's Grace, the Lord comes to abide in the mind, and the filth of egotism is dispelled.)

ਜਿਉ ਅੰਧੇਰੈ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਬਾਲੀਐ ਤਿਉ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨਿ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਜਾਇ ॥੨॥
(Like a lamp lit in the darkness, the spiritual wisdom of the Guru dispels ignorance. ||2||)

ਹਮ ਕੀਆ ਹਮ ਕਰਹਗੇ ਹਮ ਮੂਰਖ ਗਾਵਾਰ ॥
(I have done this, and I will do that - I am an idiotic fool for saying this!)

ਕਰਣੈ ਵਾਲਾ ਵਿਸਰਿਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
(I have forgotten the Doer of all; I am caught in the love of duality.)

ਮਾਇਆ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਸਭਿ ਭਵਿ ਥਕੇ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥
(There is no pain as great as the pain of Maya; it drives people to wander all around the world, until they become exhausted.)

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਰ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੩॥
(Through the Guru's Teachings, peace is found, with the True Name enshrined in the heart. ||3||)

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਮੇਲੇ ਸੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਹਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਜਾਉ ॥
(I am a sacrifice to those who meet and merge with the Lord.)

ਏ ਮਨ ਭਗਤੀ ਰਤਿਆ ਸਚੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਜ ਥਾਉ ॥
(This mind is attuned to devotional worship; through the True Word of Gurbani, it finds its own home.)

ਮਨਿ ਰਤੇ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਰਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਚੇ ਗਾਉ ॥
(With the mind so imbued, and the tongue imbued as well, sing the Glorious Praises of the True Lord.)

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਸਚੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਉ ॥੪॥੩੧॥੬੪॥
(O Nanak, never forget the Naam; immerse yourself in the True One. ||4||31||64||)

Prayer is not meant to 'bring you prosperity', but rather to align yourself with Waheguru. Simply chanting the Paath could be done a million times, and you will never find what you look for, because you are misunderstanding the use of the Paath.

One does not make demands of Waheguru through prayer; one is connecting with him, seeking their truth and understanding. The Paath will help calm your mind and help you think, and it is in that where you will find the real value in life.
Kurasu
New User

Return to Questions and Answers