Job

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Job

Postby Aude » Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 am

Hello, I would have liked to know if, being Sikhs, we can be a dog groomer. The groomer is there for the welfare of the animals to wash them but also to cut his hair so he does not have in the eyes or it is embarrassing. Can a Sikh do this job? Please excuse my English because I am French. thank you
Aude
New User

Re: Job

Postby Bundha » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Hello Aude, nice to hear from you.
For a Sikh hair is very important, it is a natural gift given by God. It is a slap in the face of those who shave it off and every day it grows back. One of our shaheeds Bhai Taru Singh would rather be scalped then have his hair removed. Also remember all our Gurus were kesh-dhari. So I would stay away from anything that requires you from removing hair.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Superstar » Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 pm

This job would be fine for a Sikh because dogs are not on this planet to attain spiritual liberation. Therefore, you are not doing anything that would go against spirituality. Gurbani says spiritual enlightenment can only be attained in human form.
Superstar
Active Forum User

Postby RicktheSikh » Sat May 19, 2018 11:05 am

Your conscience will tell you what to do. If you feel this is wrong, it is. If you feel that trimming an animal's fur does not violate your keeping of kesh then it does not. Medical professionals must remove hair from surgical sites of patients preoperatively but this does not mean a Gursikh cannot perform this aspect of their job. At the same time if an Amritdhari refused to perform hair removal on patients I would 100% have their back on that too. My views and I'm not Amritdhari so perhaps I am not fully informed.
RicktheSikh
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion