can I do this job or not?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

can I do this job or not?

Postby Aude » Sun May 06, 2018 2:53 am

Hello. I'm 16 years old and I'm French, converting to Sikhism. I wanted to know if a Sikh could be a hairdresser. I know we do not have the right to cut our hair, but I would like to become a barber, and to be a barber you must already be a hairdresser. is it possible or should I give up this idea? thank you very much
Aude
New User

Re: can I do this job or not?

Postby Superstar » Sun May 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Part of becoming a Sikh means using Guru's message to override the desires of mind. If I was you, I would avoid this field.
Superstar
Active Forum User

Postby Manjyot1537 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes, even I wouldn't recommend you going for this job. You might like doing that job, but we need to be mindful that we are not just following Sikhi principles, but also representing Sikhi and its message to the world. Doing this job, might raise questions on your love towards Sikhi and on Sikhi itself.

In a nutshell, by doing this job, you would be supporting something which is against Sikhi principles.
Manjyot1537
New User

Postby yudhvir singh » Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Sikhism is also in accepting all other faiths and belief systems. We do not cut OUR hair because that is the way nature made us (we cut it. it grows back), and we simply choose not to meddle with nature's version of us (the human). However, if there are others who do not believe in the same, we should embrace them. Whether you should be a hairdresser or not is not even a question of Sikhism really. If you are a good hairdresser, and what you do is acceptable to YOU, then by all means do it.

If the Creator gave us long hair, we accept it. If he gave you a skill as a hairdresser, ACCEPT it.
yudhvir singh
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion