can I do this job or not?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

can I do this job or not?

Postby Aude » Sun May 06, 2018 2:53 am

Hello. I'm 16 years old and I'm French, converting to Sikhism. I wanted to know if a Sikh could be a hairdresser. I know we do not have the right to cut our hair, but I would like to become a barber, and to be a barber you must already be a hairdresser. is it possible or should I give up this idea? thank you very much
Aude
New User

Re: can I do this job or not?

Postby Superstar » Sun May 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Part of becoming a Sikh means using Guru's message to override the desires of mind. If I was you, I would avoid this field.
Superstar
Active Forum User

Postby Manjyot1537 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes, even I wouldn't recommend you going for this job. You might like doing that job, but we need to be mindful that we are not just following Sikhi principles, but also representing Sikhi and its message to the world. Doing this job, might raise questions on your love towards Sikhi and on Sikhi itself.

In a nutshell, by doing this job, you would be supporting something which is against Sikhi principles.
Manjyot1537
New User

Postby yudhvir singh » Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Sikhism is also in accepting all other faiths and belief systems. We do not cut OUR hair because that is the way nature made us (we cut it. it grows back), and we simply choose not to meddle with nature's version of us (the human). However, if there are others who do not believe in the same, we should embrace them. Whether you should be a hairdresser or not is not even a question of Sikhism really. If you are a good hairdresser, and what you do is acceptable to YOU, then by all means do it.

If the Creator gave us long hair, we accept it. If he gave you a skill as a hairdresser, ACCEPT it.
yudhvir singh
New User

Postby Bundha » Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Sorry previous poster your post makes no sense.

On one hand you say that Sikhs do not cut hair and on the other you say go ahead and cut hair if you feel like it (?)

If you are sikh and you do not do "beadbhi" if hair then how can someone become a hair dresser ?

I may be the worlds greatest chef, but if I do not eat meat then how can I go on a prepare meat dishes for others ?
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby yudhvir singh » Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Sat Sri Akal Bundha,

Thank you for questioning me. I feel like I should elaborate on whatever filth I wrote.

Let's first address your point that a person should "personally" do the job that he aims to be good at. A good chef's dishes are considered good because that is what people think about them, not because he thinks he's good. In other words, our work is defined not by what we think of it personally, but by what others think of it. Beethoven, one of the most famous musicians in history, was actually deaf. He could not even hear the music he created. It was his understanding of music, or more specifically people's perception of music that allowed him to create great masterpieces. Similarly, a great meat chef does not need to eat meat himself everyday in-order to be a good meat chef. He simply needs to find out what combination of ingredients make for a great "people perception" of meat dishes. He could taste his dishes to test say the tenderness of meat, but he sure as heck does not need to develop a habit of meat eating to be a good meat chef.

Coming back to Aude (our OP), who has an inclination towards hairdressing. He/she does not necessarily need to cut his/her own hair to be a good hairdresser. He/she only needs to know what the customer wants from the ideal hairdresser, and be able to deliver it effectively. If Aude cuts other people's hair, then that is not Aude's problem. The customer has already made the decision to cut their hair, and whether Aude does it or someone else does it, the customer will have it cut regardless. They don't have the same belief system as we do, and that is totally fine.

Finally, at the risk of sounding contradictory, I would like to add the last and best point -
What we do for a living is immaterial. Our duty is not in the professional work we do, but in the constant, shameless, loving, untiring devotion to God. Gurudev says it best -

ke karam kamaya tudh shareera ja tu jag mein aaya,
jin har tera rachan racheya so har man na vasaya?

A butcher in a shop is deserving of the highest honor if he perceives the image of God in everything he does, and a kirtaniya (who sings God's praises for a living) may be undeserving of the same if he doesn't even think of God and just dictates those words on a mic. This is why I feel we should not discourage Aude from doing what he/she likes, just because we've been told not to cut hair since our childhood. If the Almighty is in the mind, any job can be the path to peace.

Waheguru
yudhvir singh
New User

Postby Bundha » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 pm

The rehat that Guru Ji gave us is not some arbitrary rules rules plucked from the ait, this is deep meaning behind them. Keeping of hair or not eating meat or not consuming alcohol are not some made up rules we were taught when we were youg, there is a philosophy behind them. Where is your love of your Guru , where is your love of Guru Jis rehat? If you are following Guru Jis rehat and not cutting your hair and not eating meat or consuming alcohol then it baffles me why you would feel comfortable in cutting someone else's hair, or cooking meat and serving it to someone?

Again, where is the love of Guru Jis rehat, it seems to me we are just playing semantics and lip service.

Guru Ji said - Rehat piyari mujj koe, Sikh piyara naa - The rehat is more important to me than the Sikh - so you think Guru ji will be please if you are cutting someone else's hair, the hair that they keep in such high esteem? All the Gurus were kesh-dhari, hair is a gift from Akaal , Gurbani describes Akaal Purkh as with lovely nose and long hair, so why would you treat it so trivially that you don't cut your own but are happy to chop it off someone else's head ? we call it be-adhbi or hair or disrespecting the hair, so why would you disrespect the hair by cutting it off someone / anyone's head?

I suppose being a loan-shark is an okay profession, lending 500 and demanding 5000 , Oh how Guru Ji would be happy and smile upon you.

Those person's who have total devotion to God in whatever they do are very few and far between, one in a million, - Bhagat Sadhana or Mata Ganka to name two, and who amongst us can be like them ?

For the rest of us we give lip service to Guru Ji and His maryadha and carry on with whatever we are doing in the guise of following His path.

Guru Ji says - Ikh chitt jay ikh shinn dhiyao, kaal faas kay beach naa aiyo. Akaal Ustat.
In one moment, one blink of an eye if we remember Him then e will be saved from death.

Well, we all remember God, so why are we not all saved ? because we pay just lip service to His rehat, there is no real love for our Guru. The butcher in the shop deserves our pity for he is increasing his karam, and that karma will come back round maybe soon or maybe in lifetimes to come . Apay beej apay-he khao - what we sow so shall we reap. Even repeating gurbani will not help, not if you are taking innocent life and feeding it too people, that dulls the senses and difficulty in naam simran ensues.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Return to Sikhi Discussion