Paath

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Paath

Postby Navjit814 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello

my question is simple and clear. How does one enjoy Paath, even at times when I understand what is being said I don't feel joy or motivation to do more paath. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Navjit814
New User

Re: Paath

Postby Bundha » Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Navji, I think there are a number of things at play here. Firstly remember we are in the age of Kalyug so anything that is going to take you towards goodness or towards Akaal Purkh is going to be opposed in your mind. It is sometimes such a struggle just to muster up some enthusiasm to do paath, yet we have no trouble sitting down for hours watching a movie or reading a novel of just gossiping. There are forces within us that actively discourage us to walk the path towards our Guru. We must be aware of this and persevere. Secondly our soul has so much dirt up on it, many many lifetimes of dirt/sin that covers our soul. By doing paath this dirt is slowly removed, but it is caked on and although we do paath we cannot see or feel the benefit because first all the grime needs to be cleansed off. Take a dirty window, it cannot let the sun in until we clean it. We clean it and slowly the dirt is removed but we cannot see the benefit until the grime is low enough for the sun to shine through. Mostly we give up, we give up before we get the benefit of paath, the paath still has an effect upon us but the sins and misdemeanours over lifetimes have caked upon the soul. Once this is removed then the anand and joy of Gurbani will automatically come. The secret is that you need to carry on, no matter what, just keep doing paath simran. You have started on this journey and although the path is long and arduous as long as you traverse along it one day you will get to your destination. Just keep doing it , Guru Ji can see that you are persevering and will bless you and assist you.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Navjit814 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Bundha wrote:Navji, I think there are a number of things at play here. Firstly remember we are in the age of Kalyug so anything that is going to take you towards goodness or towards Akaal Purkh is going to be opposed in your mind. It is sometimes such a struggle just to muster up some enthusiasm to do paath, yet we have no trouble sitting down for hours watching a movie or reading a novel of just gossiping. There are forces within us that actively discourage us to walk the path towards our Guru. We must be aware of this and persevere. Secondly our soul has so much dirt up on it, many many lifetimes of dirt/sin that covers our soul. By doing paath this dirt is slowly removed, but it is caked on and although we do paath we cannot see or feel the benefit because first all the grime needs to be cleansed off. Take a dirty window, it cannot let the sun in until we clean it. We clean it and slowly the dirt is removed but we cannot see the benefit until the grime is low enough for the sun to shine through. Mostly we give up, we give up before we get the benefit of paath, the paath still has an effect upon us but the sins and misdemeanours over lifetimes have caked upon the soul. Once this is removed then the anand and joy of Gurbani will automatically come. The secret is that you need to carry on, no matter what, just keep doing paath simran. You have started on this journey and although the path is long and arduous as long as you traverse along it one day you will get to your destination. Just keep doing it , Guru Ji can see that you are persevering and will bless you and assist you.

Firstly, thanks for the reply, and great examples. Your comment makes perfect sense to me, any idea how one can encourgae themselves to do paath, I want to do paath, but as you said in your comment we dont see the benefit, so i find myself getting lazy and deciding not to do paath, any advice would be appreciated, and as said befoe thank you very much for the great reply
Navjit814
New User

Postby Bundha » Sun May 20, 2018 1:04 pm

It all boils down to how much you love your Guru.

Do you love your mum and dad? Do you think about them when they are away for some period of time? How you long to see them and embrace them. That is the love you need for your Guru. Guru Ji is your father, far closer to you then even your biological father, so love Him with all your heart, feel the ache in your heart when you have not remembered Him for a little while. Do benti to your Guru for doing path and He will listen. If we try to do anything our selves we will fail, but take your Guru with you and you cannot fail. So ask Guru Ji to give you the strength to get up in the morning and do your path.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Return to Sikhi Discussion