do the gurus choose who they want to help?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

do the gurus choose who they want to help?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 pm

I told god to not help me out of rage and anger. I regret it now. I noticed all my life as a son of a tradition sikh family , that our community fakes everything. I hated the fact others did good deeds because they thought maybe god would watch them and be more likely to give them a favorable afterlife. To see people do good because they wanted to influence god made me feel sick. I decided long ago I never wanted to be like this, so I told god not to give me any positive credit for what I do, it was not for him but rather because I had to help someone. I do everything I can to help others in my spare time, I have a decent group of fans which will all stay anonymous. When I prayed I would not look to speak to god but rather take a moment to reflect on myself to bring change. I feel like now my relationship with god/gurus in non existent.

[Just a list of things ive done in the last months for people]
I have talked people out of suicide claims,
been a positive mentor to those who didnt have postive role modles in there life
Keep up to date with kids who have been servery bullied, and help them live a normal life
etc.

After I would do something positive I would say to god ,"dont you dare use this as a good deed from me to you" this mentality ensured me that I wasn't trying to bribe god with good deeds. But now I feel like I cant keep going on like this, and when I tried praying after months I felt nothing . I need to fix my relationship with god, im just your typical anonymous punjabi guy with sikh parents, who secretly has a fan base.

I hope you guys can lead me on the right path, I want to be a positive role model for others .

thanks.

Re: do the gurus choose who they want to help?

Postby loveforsikhi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Roco wrote:I told god to not help me out of rage and anger. I regret it now. I noticed all my life as a son of a tradition sikh family , that our community fakes everything. I hated the fact others did good deeds because they thought maybe god would watch them and be more likely to give them a favorable afterlife. To see people do good because they wanted to influence god made me feel sick. I decided long ago I never wanted to be like this, so I told god not to give me any positive credit for what I do, it was not for him but rather because I had to help someone. I do everything I can to help others in my spare time, I have a decent group of fans which will all stay anonymous. When I prayed I would not look to speak to god but rather take a moment to reflect on myself to bring change. I feel like now my relationship with god/gurus in non existent.

[Just a list of things ive done in the last months for people]
I have talked people out of suicide claims,
been a positive mentor to those who didnt have postive role modles in there life
Keep up to date with kids who have been servery bullied, and help them live a normal life
etc.

After I would do something positive I would say to god ,"dont you dare use this as a good deed from me to you" this mentality ensured me that I wasn't trying to bribe god with good deeds. But now I feel like I cant keep going on like this, and when I tried praying after months I felt nothing . I need to fix my relationship with god, im just your typical anonymous punjabi guy with sikh parents, who secretly has a fan base.

I hope you guys can lead me on the right path, I want to be a positive role model for others .

thanks.

A change in sangat can do a lot for a person. Have you tried travelling to Sikh camps or meeting Gurmukhs in other settings? I think that can be helpful to inspire us when we do finally meet people who are inspirational and close to God. It can help set us on the right track too. I know this has been a challenge for you in the past but it might be worth trying again.

God won’t not help you because you asked not to be helped. If you are alive today, God has given you that breath. If you’ve eaten food and have a home, that is God’s gift. You must recognize that you are indeed receiving these gifts constantly. There is a lot of work to be done in your relationship with God but I think you’ve made an important step in moving past the anger now. This whole game of life is played in the mind and lust, anger, greed, pride, attachment, and ultimately ego is what we strive to overcome because it pulls us away from God. You are walking your own path and make that a genuine effort towards naam japna, vand shakna, and kirat karni. It is important to also spend time praying and doing simran for your own mind. It sounds indeed like you have made great efforts in dedicating your life to helping others. I’m really happy to hear that you have been a positive mentor for others and helping kids, etc.

It sounds like maybe you weren’t around the best sangat initially. But in Sikhi we do not strive for a great “afterlife” we strive to meet Waheguru IN this life, during this life, to achieve jeevan mukhti. This is your time to learn more about that path and to work on that. People do not “influence” God with fakeness. God is within all of us and knows our every thought. I don’t understand what you’ve said about “fans” but I’d be careful about that being used to feed your ego. No one belongs to anyone else in this lifetime.

When you pray now, say a genuine prayer from your heart to God about everything that is going on for you and take a Hukamnama. Your relationship with God cannot ever be non-existent, because God is our sustainer. The connection is there regardless of whether you feel it or see it. The feeling that you desire of connection will happen again over time, you just need to use the tools that we have been given: read Gurbani, understand the teachings and live by them, immerse yourself in sewa and good sangat, do simran with your eyes closed and remember God.

Once again, the key points here are that you can do it. You are going to be able to fix your relationship, and I’m really happy for the great work you are doing with those kids. All the answers are in Gurbani.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion