Thoughts

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Thoughts

Postby minni123 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:45 am

Im not by any means a good person...

I followed Sikhi for a long time, I got caught up with girls and that stuffed me up. I became strong and got away from that.

I was vegetarian for 5 years and decided to quit this year, but didn't tell my family..Today my dad found me eating meat..

I'm not going to say it wasn't ever going to happen, they are my parents.

My dad wasn't angry, he felt sorry that I had to hide it from him and suspected it from a while ago..

The rest of my family are vegetarians, and after I had a bad experience with the Sikh community (friends) turning their backs on me, it just drifted me very far away from Sikhi...to the point I wanted to cut my hair and just leave Sikhi for good..

Whats a solution? what is my next step to just fix this?
minni123
New User

Re: Thoughts

Postby loveforsikhi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm

minni123 wrote:Im not by any means a good person...

I followed Sikhi for a long time, I got caught up with girls and that stuffed me up. I became strong and got away from that.

I was vegetarian for 5 years and decided to quit this year, but didn't tell my family..Today my dad found me eating meat..

I'm not going to say it wasn't ever going to happen, they are my parents.

My dad wasn't angry, he felt sorry that I had to hide it from him and suspected it from a while ago..

The rest of my family are vegetarians, and after I had a bad experience with the Sikh community (friends) turning their backs on me, it just drifted me very far away from Sikhi...to the point I wanted to cut my hair and just leave Sikhi for good..

Whats a solution? what is my next step to just fix this?

I would say the next steps involve evaluating for yourself where you are spiritually. Identify some of your strengths and keep those up. You have followed Sikhi in the past and will be able to do it again. Do you have a routine? Bedtime and wakeup routines are a really good place to start- like doing some prayers and simran or reading a few pages of Gurbani at bedtime or in the morning. It sounds like you had some bad experiences with friends. That can be common in a younger age group because people are still maturing. How about finding some inspiration by doing sewa, or sitting in sangat? Take small steps, such as committing to being honest with your parents from now on.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Postby minni123 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am

Hi LoveforSikhi,

I really do appreciate your reply. It makes me feel happy that another human is out there who cares.

Update: So far spiritually, it is a work in progress. Saturday mornings I do definitely try and go to Asa Di Vaar.

The GREAT thing is the rest of my family are very very supportive of this. I have accepted that whatever has happened in the past, HAS HAPPENED, and I have reflected on it with my dad and moved on purposefully.

Unfortunately due to my job being shift work, my sleeping patterns are usually all over the place, however I definitely try and make time to do Paath. Especially days I DONT want to do Paath, thats when I do paath, to try and make a habit.

Yeah with friends in the Sikh community, I do have about 4 - 5 friends who are a very core group, it might be small, but quality Singhs.

I try to keep myself busy and I feel I will take small steps..

:) Thanks for your advice, definitely worked and helped..

Keep in touch !
minni123
New User

Postby loveforsikhi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:24 pm

minni123 wrote:Hi LoveforSikhi,

I really do appreciate your reply. It makes me feel happy that another human is out there who cares.

Update: So far spiritually, it is a work in progress. Saturday mornings I do definitely try and go to Asa Di Vaar.

The GREAT thing is the rest of my family are very very supportive of this. I have accepted that whatever has happened in the past, HAS HAPPENED, and I have reflected on it with my dad and moved on purposefully.

Unfortunately due to my job being shift work, my sleeping patterns are usually all over the place, however I definitely try and make time to do Paath. Especially days I DONT want to do Paath, thats when I do paath, to try and make a habit.

Yeah with friends in the Sikh community, I do have about 4 - 5 friends who are a very core group, it might be small, but quality Singhs.

I try to keep myself busy and I feel I will take small steps..

:) Thanks for your advice, definitely worked and helped..

Keep in touch !

So glad to hear that! i'm so happy that you are making this effort towards your spirituality and your family is supportive :)
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Postby minni123 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:33 am

LoveforSikhi,

Thanks, I will keep you updated !

I feel like also since I am now keeping my health up, my mind is definitely thinking more rationally and I am not as much into the things I was into...I guess they call that maturity lol..But so far, life is going ok..

:D
minni123
New User

Return to Questions and Answers