Work colleague recently diagnosed with Cancer

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Work colleague recently diagnosed with Cancer

Postby anobody » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:03 am

What is the shabad to recite/listen during periods of hurt and illness?
Forgive my ignorance, I am trying to help somebody who is recently diagnosed with a serious form of breast cancer.

The doctors will do their best, but I am trying to give this person (of no faith or religion really) something to draw upon.

Regards
anobody
New User

Re: Work colleague recently diagnosed with Cancer

Postby singhbj » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:40 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

I would recommend

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ7A9rzsQXQ

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby Harmanpreet singhh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:14 am

satnam

i found the following article very encouraging ,

bilde.jpg
Charles Oesterly, with his wife Maha Atma Kaur, enjoys caring for a two-acre Japanese garden at their Penfield home. Oesterly battle with cancer has not prevented him from working outdoors.
bilde.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 2233 times

Charles Oesterly wears a turban, a long beard and a steel bracelet and talks about the fierceness of his fellow Sikhs.

They are an industrious people, too, he says, engineers and doctors, and he himself has been a house painter and a property manager and a yoga instructor. But Oesterly, who lives on Jackson Road, sounds different when he talks about the courage of the Sikhs, adherents to a religious order called Sikhism that originated in India.

Sikhs don't give up, he said.

Something nasty has picked a fight with Oesterly, whose Sikh name is Maha Atma Singh, and while he's slowing down he certainly isn't giving up.

Oesterly, 58, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in January after visiting the doctor because he had difficulty swallowing.

He's lived a healthier life style than many, with no drinking or smoking, so the cancer came as a shock.

"He had the silent type, it just came on all of a sudden," said his wife, Maha Atma Kaur.

He underwent 27 radiation treatments and chemotherapy and he had his esophagus removed in July. The cancer went into remission but has returned and Oesterly is undergoing more treatment.

When he talks about his cancer, he winces and holds his breath for a moment.

He's finding ways to cope using the people and tools available to him. His wife, a nurse, has gone to every doctor's appointment and helped him through the unpleasant side effects of his treatments. His children have offered him love and support too.

When he's physically able he does yoga, and almost every day he walks in his gardens. Oesterly has nearly covered his two acres of land with Japanese gardens.

They inspire serenity, he will tell you. They aren't fussy the way western gardens can sometimes be with a rainbow of flowers and ornaments. Their designs incorporate plants, water, rocks and an enclosure. They're mostly shades of green with spare pops of color here and there.

He likes to sit on the machai, or covered bench, in the garden behind his house and look out on what he's created. But while the gardens bring him peace they also make him worry sometimes.

"It makes you wonder, will I be here (later)? And if not, what kind of maintenance nightmare will I have left behind," he whispers. He often speaks in low tones since his surgery.

Perhaps it's the industrious Sikh in him. Oesterly has a habit of picking high maintenance hobbies.

Inside his home he maintains a 180-gallon salt water aquarium full of fish and undulating pink coral.

The gardens, he estimates, can require as much as 30 to 40 hours a week of work at the peak of the season in May.

Oesterly also volunteers his time to maintain the town of Penfield's Don Mack garden and the Japanese garden at Sonnenberg Gardens.

Walking through his gardens on a crisp November afternoon you can see and hear that they bring him more joy than worry. He talks about the Scotch pine, the Colorado blue spruce, his 47 varieties of Japanese maples and his 11 types of bamboo.

His eyes light up when he remembers to show a visitor a low-lying bush that he's pruned and trained into the shape of a dragon.

He talks about how people have had their wedding pictures taken there and points to the archway built for his own daughter's wedding in the gardens.

It was one of the happiest days of his life, he said.

Working in the garden is demanding, and with his illness he's had to pare down his marathon 10-hour work sessions to a sliver of that size.

But he's grateful when he's out there, shaping his trees snip by snip.

He still has a lot of work to do.

"The Japanese look at a garden as a 20-year project," he said.

And he's hoping he's here to finish his.

[email protected]

waheguru

source http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... 1002/RSS01
Harmanpreet singhh
Power User

Postby pawandeep84 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 am

anobody wrote:What is the shabad to recite/listen during periods of hurt and illness?

recite/listen Sukhmani Sahib & Dukh Bhanjani Sahib.

Guru Nanak di bani har marj di dawa hai.
< ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ
PawandeeP Singh
pawandeep84
Power User

Postby anobody » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:36 am

OK. So I suggest Dukh Bhanjani and Sukhmani Sahib.

Can you pls tell me which Guru wrote these shabads and from where I could get an English translation since the person in question is English.

Thank you
anobody
New User

Postby singhbj » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:00 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Please see this link

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Vasu_Bhardwaj

Thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby harikadas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 am

Jio
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Bhai Guriqubal Singh Ji has written a book namely 9 Charteristic features of Sri Sukhmani Sahib. The 3rd Charteristic is given here under. Sri SUKHMANI SAHIB will work wonders.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

3rd Characteristic Feature of Shri Sukhmani Sahib

([i]The scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures one of the diseases of the body.)
[/i]

Dear readers! you have read the first two characteristic features of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, which is a storehouse of mercy. First feature being that by properly reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib daily, the 24000 breaths inhaled in a day become successful. This is the compassion of the 5th Guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji to have blessed us with this scripture, to enable the inquisitive industrious person leading the life of a householder, to be able to take out some time from his schedule to recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, so as to make the 24000 breaths inhaled in 24 hours a success. Second feature being that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib protects us from Kalyug. You have read in detail.

Third characteristic feature is that it cures us of the diseases of the body. It is normal for any person to fall sick or to suffer pain, this is life. Writing about the third feature, may God permit me to write, I would like to make one point here. Our life is dependent on our deeds. When everything is going on smoothly in life, suddenly there is a calamity, think over it, why did it happen? You will get the answer, as you sow so shall you reap. It is the deeds one commits – the fruit one gets accordingly, you have to bear it.

“Deda dos na daou kisa dos karma aapniya
Jo mein kiya so mein paiya dos na dija awer jana” (Ang... 433 )

There is a difference, there is an interval between sowing the seed and reaping the harvest of the fruit, it takes time. It is a simple thing, sow the seeds of wheat today, it takes time to reap. If you plant a mango sapling today, and expect to eat fruit within a month, that is not possible, you will get the fruit only after ten years. Similarly, if any disease or calamity occurs, some deed had been committed at some point of time, which is bearing fruit now. You do not know when you sowed or committed the deed. When you committed that false deed, the fruit of which you have to endure, which has come in the form of a disease, having taken time for it to mature. Your body has the disease. This is the third characteristic feature, that the recital of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib even cures the disease of the body.

The third greatness of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib is that it helps to cure ones body of his illness. There are two types of disease, one of the body and the other of the mind. There is a difference between the two. In your house when you disagree with any member of the family and have an argument, then you do not say that I have pain in my arm, or my leg is aching, then you say that my mind is sad. When you do not have resources for food, if you have food for one time a day, you are in debt, and then you say that you are worried, that how will you repay the debt. Hence, worry, irritation, problems, always thinking and manipulating, these are the diseases of the mind. When any part of the body aches, be it the hand or the ear, the shoulder or the foot, maybe a stomach ache or a headache, meaning if there is any trouble with the parts of the body, these are the maladies of the body.

Bhai Veer Singh Ji was once questioned by a learned philosopher, that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures the disease of the mind, but how will this scripture cure the body of its illness? On hearing the philosopher talk like this, Bhai Sahib Ji enquired of him that did he have any doubt in his mind, regarding the pure, heavenly, mercy- laden scripture. Bhai Sahib asked the philosopher that did he recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib? The philosopher said that he recited the scripture daily. Bhai Sahib questioned him that did he know that from where did the first Ashtpaadi of the scripture begin? He said that he was aware. Bhai sahib urged him to recite it. The philosopher began reciting:

‘Simreho simer simer sukh pao
Kal kales tan meh mitawo’ (Ang… 262)

Bhai sahib stopped him over here and asked him that what had he just recited, ‘kal kales’----the philosopher completed the sentence ‘tan meh mitawo’ Bhai Sahib said, it has not been written as ‘man meh mitawo’ it is ‘tan meh mitawo’, meaning if there is any ‘kal kales’ meaning trouble or pain or suffering to the body, then this scripture cures that as well. This scripture saves one from the diseases of the body or protects us from physical suffering.

You may experiment it any time that it is very difficult to gain the confidence of an educated person because he always thinks with his brain, he uses logic. You also please look within yourself, and analyze that on every turn in your life, do you rely on your wisdom or do you have faith in God. A learned, philosopher will always use his brain and rationalize using logic. The one who is remembering the Lord all the time, who is influenced by God, who has faith in God, will always leave everything to God.

Mahpurush was seated, somebody requested for the grant of ‘naam jap’. On receiving his boon, he wanted to know how much time would it take him to be successful. Mahapurush told him that it would take him six months. Someone else was standing close by, he also urged, for the grant of the ‘naam jap’. When he got the ‘jap’ he also wanted to know how much time it would take for him to be successful. Mahapurush said three years. The man was taken aback, he said, “you told him that it would take him six months, he is an illiterate; whereas I am educated, you tell me it will take me three years. Why so?” Mahapurush replied that, that person has no ego, since he is not educated, his mind is in a state of level, and there is no pride in him. Whereas you are literate, you have so much knowledge within yourself that your mind is full of it, so it will take three years just to bring you into a level state, meaning to win the confidence or to make an educated person have faith is difficult.

This is a matter of pride that teams of educated doctors, of Guru Nanak Dev University, set up camps, and concluded in their report in their books that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures the disease of the body. Sukhmani Sahib Sewa Society, Gurudwara Mata Kaullan Ji, Amritsar; organizes the recital of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib on every Sunday, at any one of the devotees house, from the congregation. The congregation recites the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib which is followed by singing of the holy hymns for an hour.

This survey was conducted a few years back, in whichever house the recital used to take place, a team of doctors from Guru Nanak Dev University used to arrive and they would establish their examination table just outside that house. Whosoever, used to enter the house the doctors checked his blood pressure, before sending him in the house. Whosoever, had high blood pressure or low blood pressure, his name and age was noted down. On the completion of the recital, when the patient was re-examined then their blood pressure used to be normal. They have set up a camp and concluded with examples and descriptions that whosoever listens or recites the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib he is protected from disease like blood pressure, anxiety etc.

There is a hospital in Amritsar, according to the inference of the hospital; a patient is cured to the maximum in this hospital compared to other hospitals. On investigating, it was found that there is a speaker in all the rooms of the hospital. Morning and evening the patients are made to hear the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib which is recited and broadcast through the speakers, to all the rooms. Gurbani also acts on the disease. Medicine is given with the blessings of the scriptures.

You may also experiment it any time, if anyone is sick in your house, maybe your child or anyone, bring the medicine, give the medicine, in addition, sit next to him and recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib and then see how quickly the medicine works. As the Gurbani empowers the medicine, the blessings of Gurbani mingle with the medicine.

I had to go and sing the holy hymns (Kirtan) at a factory, in Amritsar. This was situated on Verka Bypass, by the name ‘Avichal Textiles’. The programme commenced with the praise of the great warrior Baba Deep Singh Ji and the topic of discussion was Gurbani. After the Kirtan was completed, one humble man approached me, and said that he wished to talk to me, and that it would take just five minutes. I told him to continue. That man said that his name was Dr. Paramjeet Singh ‘Rana’. I said that I was very pleased to meet him and asked him what I could do for him. He said, “I am a doctor by profession. I myself have experienced the blessing of Gurbani many times. I want to narrate an incident.” He said:

“A lady came to my clinic, she had tumor near her breast. After taking her X-ray, and examining it, I told her that she would have to get it operated. I gave her ten days, to prepare herself. She returned after ten days for the operation. Again, I took an X-ray, to my surprise; there was no tumor in her body. I examined the previous X-ray, the tumor was present in that one, but there was no sign of the tumor in the present X-ray. I was bemused; there was tumor in the previous X-ray but not in the present one.”
He told me, that the lady had told him, that ten days before, when she had consulted him and taken the date for the operation, on her way back, she had come across a God fearing person, to whom she had told everything about her tumor and the operation. He told her that Baba Deep Singh Ji is very dear to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. He is very merciful towards those who read the scriptures. He showed her the way, he told her to go to Baba Deep Singh Jis Gurudwara, and recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, daily; and take the ghee from the lamp that is lit over there, and apply it on the place of the tumor. Pray to the Almighty, God will show mercy.

The doctor told me that the lady further told him that she did as she was told by this humble man, she followed all the instructions, daily she recited the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, and applied the ghee from the lamp on the tumor. She said she did all this to enable her operation to be a success. The doctor told her that since she had been reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib and applying the ghee taken from the lamp at Baba Deep Singh Jis place, her tumor had burnt out. I have got this doctors address, anyone has any doubts can clear the doubts by meeting him. One educated doctor has agreed to the fact that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures the body of its disease.

A 64 year old, renowned scientist, Shri Vasu Bhardwaj, who is working in the NASA University of United States of America, he has also written two books, relating to the moon and the planet Mars. He has himself narrated this, “I was a firm Atheist, my wife belongs to a Sindhi family; she has immense faith in Gurbani. I had a tumor in my head, which turned out to be cancerous; this tumor was situated just above the left ear, due to this I became deaf from the left ear, I consulted many good doctors, they all gave up, they said that it was incurable and that I would never be able to hear from the left ear. When the doctors took samples from the tumor of the head and conducted tests, the reports revealed that I would survive only for 15-20 days.”
He further said, “My wife’s sister is married into a Sikh family, and she has immense faith in Gurbani. She started reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib to me, so that I could listen to it, daily, at the hospital; and got a date for the continuous recital of the Guru Granth Sahib (Akhand path) at the Golden Temple. God is great and merciful, when the authority of the Gurudwara Sahib came to know about my state, they gave a date for the recital, immediately. Somehow, I was put on a stretcher, and taken to the room, where the scripture was to be recited. Doctors had abandoned me from sitting cross-legged, because due to weakness in the body my bones had become extremely weak, but as the continuous recital was in progress and when the recital came to Shri Sukhmani Sahib I sat up, crossed my legs, and began to listen to the scripture with a lot of love and sentiment. As I was listening to the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, I felt a strange vibration within myself, due to this vibration, during this time period, I was strangely blessed, my left ear that was completely blocked, opened up completely. On completion of the continuous recital (Akhand path), I stood up on my feet and walked back to my room. When the ‘Akhand path’ was kept and had commenced, at that time I had been brought in, on a stretcher, but on its completion I returned back to my room on foot. My family members and I, we were all very surprised. On returning to my city ‘Surat’, I approached my doctors, and got my tests conducted again, the reports stated that the cancer did not exist in my body any more. The famous oncologist also agreed to the strength of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib.” Maybe, some people do not believe all this, but Dr. Vasu Bhadwaj has shown his reports, at least 200 congregations, to the devotees.

Many times, we get so engrossed in enjoying the comforts of life, given to us by the God that we tend to forget the Almighty, who has given everything to us. Since, we forget the Lord Almighty, who has given us everything, we suffer physically, mentally and spiritually, the suffering may come in the form of disease. When we are in pain, we remember God; hence, since we keep remembering Him, we get close to Him. So, this suffering becomes medicine for us, as it brings us close to the God. It is written in the scriptures as well :

“ dukh daaru sukh rog bhaya” (Ang… 469 )

I can assure you, by the faith of God, by the strength of Gurbani, I am writing this that if any adversity falls upon you, start reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, at your home. One after the other, recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib continuously, one person after the other, make a chain of continuity. Your obstacles, pain, agony will begin to recede.

A few days back, some devotee from the congregation rang up at 9.30 p.m. saying that their 3 month old baby was severely sick, so much so, that time seemed to be running out. No doctor was reachable, as it was a holiday. I told them on the phone by the grace of God, to start reading and reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, when one gets tired, he should place his finger on the next phrase, and hand over the holy book to the next person, to continue with the recital. By the blessing of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, within a few hours, he rang up again. He said that they had been trying to get in touch with the doctor since 6 p.m. but in vain. They had been unable to get through, even to their family doctor. But as soon as they started reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib at home, everything got resolved. Within minutes, after beginning the recital, they were able to get in touch with the family doctor. He gave an injection to the child which worked like magic potion. Doctor had stated that the child was out of danger, and would be alright. So you see, as the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib was read, everything started falling in place, the family doctor was traceable and the medicine was fruitful.

This is for sure, you may experiment it, if anyone is suffering from any physical ailment, start reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, in addition to your daily schedule of recitation. I am writing this by the grace of God, His blessings and mercy comes to his devotees in bountiful showers.

There is another incident which I want to narrate. All these examples, are given because one may feel that whatever I am saying about recitation of scriptures is just like that, no one can be cured like this. But when you become aware, with examples given from real life, than it touches the heart and your faith takes root.

A person from Delhi by the name Mohinder Singh, (don’t know for which foul deed he got this fruit) was detected with tuberculosis in his chest. After examination the doctors declared that it was in an advanced stage, he had reached the third stage. You all are educated and are aware, that the first and second stage of TB can be cured with medicines, but if it reaches the third stage, it becomes very dangerous. Doctors gave him medicines but at the same time were not sure if the disease would be cured or not. In addition to this they warned him that if he was to go out anywhere or was to do any work, he should cover his mouth, otherwise he would be infecting others with his breath, and then they would also get this disease.

Mohinder Singh was a companion of Baba Ishwar Singh Ji of Rara Sahib. When he told Baba Ji about his plight, Baba Ji reassured him and told him not to lose heart. Baba Ji advised him to sit and recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib at dawn and at dusk, at Gurudwara Bangla Sahib (Delhi). He further told him to serve where the devotees wash their feet, to serve at the place where the shoes are kept, serve by sweeping; in addition to this he put a few restrictions on his movement, he told him not go to anybody’s house; eat only one parshada (bread) at the langar hall in the gurudwara sahib, just enough to survive.

(I would like to clear one thing over here i.e. that saints give medicine according to their own ways.) He followed the instructions given to him for 13 days; he recited the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib at dawn and dusk. On the 14th day he went to his doctor for a check-up, a fresh x-ray of the chest was taken. When the doctor viewed the x-ray, he was surprised because there was no trace of infection of TB.

There is a request I would like to make over here, i.e. please do not stop medication. Some people say that since they have taken shelter in Shri Sukhmani Sahib then there is no requirement for taking medicine. Anyone, who is sick, he has to consume medicine, but he has to have faith in scriptures, because if one does not consume medicine than the worldly norms will get hurt. We have to have faith that this medicine will be effective only if the strength of Shri Sukhmani Sahib has been mingled with it. Otherwise, you may have also observed that many times a medicine cures someone of his ailment, and gives him health; but the same medicine when taken by another person for the same ailment, is ineffective.

It is a matter of faith. There is a God loving person from Amritsar, his son had boils on his head. When he took his son to the doctor, after examining the child, the doctor told him that his sons head was decaying, that his hair needed to be cut before treatment could begin. (these a days, some people get their hair cut out of desire or to be in vogue, but great are those, who are helpless, but still do not get their hair cut.) That person told the doctor, “we are Sikh, we do not cut our hair since it is against our religion, you please treat the child like this, apply medicine on his head, God Himself will show mercy.” But that doctor refused.

That humble man held his sons finger, took him to Dukh Bhanjani Berry at Harmandir Sahib. You all are aware that if the head is decaying, then by putting water the abscess is bound to increase and get worse. That holy man’s belief, his faith, his devotion made him bathe his son, from head to toe in the Sarovar (holy tank) of Dukh Bhanjani Berry, after having bathed his son, he reclined against the wall over there, and recited the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, on completing the scripture, he went inside the Gurudwara sahib, offered ‘degh’ (parshad) and did ‘Ardas’ (prayer) that ‘Oh God, Almighty have mercy’.

He started doing this daily, he would bathe his son at the Sarovar of Dukh Bhanjani Berry, from head to toe, then standing he would recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, go inside the Gurudwara sahib, offer parshad and pray. On the 7th day he was blessed. The child’s head began to dry up and on the 13th day, his skull was soft and free from boils. This incident is of the present time. There is a historical anecdote which tells us that the recital of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures one of physical ailments.

When Guru Arjan Dev Ji composed this scripture, and gave this priceless treasure to the world, He directed the devotees to read the scripture daily, following the procedure. As a result, many Sikhs learnt this scripture by heart.

When the Mughal Emperor Jahangir, was on the throne of Delhi, at that time, Guru Arjan Dev Ji was, the 5th light of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, he was the religious Guru of the Sikhs. Wazir Khan was one of Jahangir’s special employees. By the grace of his deeds, he was suffering from dropsy, his stomach used to fill up with water, causing flatulence, with pain his trouble used to increase, he was unable to eat or drink, all the time he was just sighing. He was the kings special employee, so there was no dearth of money, he got the best of medical treatment, but even after taking medication, his condition remained the same, in fact, his disease got from bad to worse.

Now Wazir Khan would be alone in the outer room of the house, all the time he was suffering in pain, and praying to the Almighty to have mercy on him, and to guide him, to show him a solution to his problem. (I have concluded from the experiences of my life that God can do everything, His technique is very strong. When He shows a way out, even humans get surprised that they had not thought things could be done like that also.)

God showed him the way, He set a procedure. One Sikh brother, Bhai Bhago used to go across Wazir Khans house daily, he used to be reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib in a loud voice. ( Bhai Bhago was a bold Sikh, since he used to recite the scripture in a loud voice through the market, meant that he knew his scriptures well, that means, he must be reciting them consistently; secondly, he could not have been bothered about the people, that what would anyone say.)

One day, Wazir Khan noticed that a Sikh, speaking something loudly, crosses my house, and till I can hear his voice, I have respite from pain. When Wazir Khan observed this continuously for 3-4 days, that a Sikh, every morning, crosses in front of the house reciting something like a hymn, at that time there is respite from his pain, he was very astonished. One day he picked up courage and voiced the Sikh and called him inside his house and asked him, “ Oh man of God! What do you recite, hearing this pain subsides, when I hear you recite this scripture, I feel relaxed and at peace but when I can hear you no more, my pain returns. Oh Sikh! What scripture do you recite?”

Bhai Bhago said, “This is the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib composed by the 5th Guru Nanak, Guru Arjan Dev Ji.” Wazir Khan said, “Oh Sikh! Have mercy on me, I request you to please come to my house and recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, to me daily, because when I listen to it, it gives me relief from my pain.” (The Sikhs of the guru, do not see colour, caste or creed, they just want everyone’s welfare.) This phrase even comes in the ‘Ardas’, “Nanak naam cheddi kala, tera bhana sarbat ka bhala.” Guru has blessed the Sikhs to pray and want everyone’s welfare. This is not a small thing; one has to pay for it. I have read the statements made by the Mahpurush of Bhucho Mandi, they say, the sage/ mendicant who only keeps eating food at noble peoples houses; within some time he looses everything. Today eat here, tomorrow eat there.

I have read the statements made by the Mahapurush, Baba Harnam Singh Ji of Bhucho Mandi, he said that a true Sikh of the Guru, when he has food at anyone’s place, on returning home should recite five scriptures of ‘Japu Ji Sahib ‘ for that family. If a sage accepts cloth from anyone, then he should recite twenty five scriptures of ‘Japu Ji Sahib’ for that family. If a grant of money is accepted then one hundred and one scriptures of ‘Japu Ji Sahib’ should be recited for that family. Otherwise, you loose on whatever you have gained. This body is full of misery. (There are twelve parts of a book, narrating the life history of Baba Harnam Singh Ji of Bhucho Mandi which is worth reading, it guides and educates you how to live your life.)

Benevolent Sikh, Bhai Bhago agreed to Wazir Khans request; every morning, after paying homage at the Gurudwara Sahib, on his way back, he would stop at Wazir Khans place; he began to recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib for Wazir Khan to listen.( these were the good old days when people used to take out time, unlike today when nobody has the time.) Wazir Khan would spread a sheet and sit down, he would spread a rug for the Sikh, and lovingly he would listen to the scripture.

As a result of hearing the scripture daily, religiously, Wazir Khans health started improving. 80% of his disease was cured. Wazir Khans devotion and belief became very strong. The one who is suffering can only tell what it is to be healed. Wazir Khan was very thankful to the Sikh, he requested the Sikh to further be merciful and take him to the composer of such a wonderful script, so that he could pay homage to Him. He said that he was confident that if he could pay homage to the Guru he would be cured fully, as only listening to the scripture, had benefited him so much.

The Sikh was touched by Wazir Khans gesture, and he told him that your wishes will surely be fulfilled. That Sikh brought Wazir Khan to Amritsar, so that he could pay homage to Guru Arjan Dev Ji. When he saw the Guru, he folded his hands and requested, “Oh king! The scripture that you have composed is so powerful that listening to your scripture I have been cured and am at peace. 80% of my disease of dropsy has been healed. You please show mercy on me, so that I am completely free from this disease.”

Satguru, the true king was at ease, He referred towards Baba Buddha Ji and said, “Baba Buddha Ji is serving over there, go and request him.” Baba Buddha Ji was getting the baskets lifted. ( please learn from this as well, that Baba Buddha Ji was the first head priest of Harimandir Sahib, he is getting baskets lifted, serving fully with his hands.) Wazir Khan went to Baba Ji and requested him. Baba Ji was also at ease, he wanted to see Wazir Khans stamina and patience. Baba Ji wished to test him, so he said, “I am not over here to cure anybody, I have to get these baskets lifted, get aside, let me serve, do not become an obstacle in my serving.” He spoke such harsh words to see if Wazir Khan had patience, had complete faith, has come with devotion or not; if he endures all this that means his faith is strong, otherwise he will go away, his ego would get hurt that I am a special employee of emperor Jehangir, how can anyone talk to me like that.

Wazir Khan had spent so many days with the humble Sikh, he had listened to the scriptures for so many days, and it was the effect of both these things that he did not get angry at Baba Jis words. He did not let any ill-feelings come to his mind, instead he folded his hands, humbly stood aside, feeling that I have been told to stand aside, I have to obey orders, by standing aside. Ten minutes, fifteen minutes, twenty minutes, twenty five minutes passed by, Baba Ji saw that he is still standing over there. (at times, the Guru also likes to test, learn from this, may we also fall in love with our God, with devotion may we fall in love with His feet.)

Baba Ji saw that after twenty- twenty five minutes he is still standing humbly, he understood, that Wazir Khan has come with devotion in his heart. Baba Ji did not take the credit for healing him, while lifting the baskets, he took one serving basket and threw it towards Wazir Khans stomach, because of which all the water from his stomach was vomited out by him through his mouth. ( in dropsy the water collects in the stomach ) Wazir Khan was cured. Baba Buddha Ji told him, “ Wazir Khan, since you have been listening to the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib with love and devotion, and since you have paid homage to the fifth light of Guru Nanak Dev Ji with love and affection, you have been cured of all the disease of your body.” From this historical anecdote it becomes clear that listening to the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures one of physical disease.

This incident took place 2-3 years back, 5-6 people from Amritsar went on a holy pilgrimage to Hemkunt Sahib. There first halt was at Rishikesh. They had just reached Rishikesh when one of them started having severe pain because of pathri (stones) (the pain that arises because of stones is sudden, severe and unpredictable) He took medicines, got injections and after resting for a while, they proceeded further; but all throughout the way he kept vomiting. Somehow, they managed to reach ‘Gobind Ghat’. He again took medicines, but he was really unwell on the way from ‘Gobind Ghat’ to ‘Gobind Dham’. He was in severe pain and kept vomiting. His fellow companions were also worried about him. As one of them was unwell, so the pleasure of the pilgrimage was lost to the remaining.

On reaching ‘Gobind Dham’, suddenly one of them thought, that I have heard that the recitation of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib destroys all pain and misery, it even cures the body of its disease; today why not take shelter in Shri Sukhmani Sahib. As it is, we are traveling, and have no other means or way out. Having come so far, do not wish to return without paying homage at Hemkunt Sahib. The one, who had been thinking all this, gave this idea to the others, since all of them were God loving people, they agreed to it.

The one who was suffering was made to sit cross legged in the centre and his remaining companions sat around him. Then they prayed to the Lord, asking for mercy, and to help them to recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, to grant this Seva to them and to accept this Seva from them. One of them would recite the first phrase and the others recited the next phrase loudly, in this manner they completed reciting the scripture, the one who was suffering listened to the scripture, then they prayed, then they exclaimed, that till now we had just heard that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib heals the body of its disease, but that day we saw the power of Shri Sukhmani Sahib and how it cures. They said now that person went from’ Gobind Dham to Hemkunt Sahib smiling and returned also smiling. All throughout the way they kept appreciating that what strength and power Guru Arjan Dev Ji has filled in the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, so much of strength, so much of blessing. Just by listening to one scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib with love, they were able to accomplish their pilgrimage successfully, without any further obstacles.

Just by reciting or listening to the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib with love, so many people have been cured of their disease and so many incurable diseases have also been cured, if I was to write about them and tell them all, many books could be written.

This incident occurred about 15-20 years back, the main member, Bibi Paramjit Kaur (Anandpur Sahib) of ‘Baba Deep Singh Ji Kirtni Jatha’ had her hair badly knotted and entangled, it became a web of hair, which started straining her scalp. It became impossible for her to comb her hair, the comb just would not get through her hair, and leave alone a comb, something so thin as a needle (something like a knitting needle) which is used to set up the turban could not find its way in her hair. She tried all sort of things but in vain. All doctors were of the opinion that the hair will have to be cut, but she was firm on her resolution that she would not get her hair cut.

There is a saint near Phillaur, she went to him, and requested him to help her out. The saint was holding a bunch of flowers in his hands at that time. He gave those flowers to her, and told her, “immerse them in mustard oil and begin reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, apply this oil on your hair and side by side keep reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib. After having oiled the hair, take the comb (kanga) which you got through your five K’s, and start combing your hair, keep combing your hair till the completion of the recitation of the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib.”

On returning home, she did as she had been advised by the saint, in those hair, which would not allow even a needle to pass through them, the kanga of the five K’s managed to find its way. Till the scripture was completed, she had managed to get half of her hair disentangled. Next day, she followed the same procedure. Till the completion of the scripture, her hair had become soft and smooth like silk.

Meaning that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib has answer to all your problems. It not only brings solace and peace to the mind but also cures the disease of the body.

The scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib is a boon given to us by our Guru, which has even made the doctors bow, they say, “our studies, our examination, tests and reports say something, but how it changes?”

I myself am surprised, that Guru Arjan Dev Ji has given immensely in this scripture, this heavenly scripture is overflowing with immeasurable strength.

I have come across many people, who say that they recite the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib daily, but they have not been blessed, that they are still in misery and pain. Some people, even go to the extent of saying that ever since they have started reciting the scripture their miseries and agonies have increased; just remember one thing that Gurbani never increases your pain or suffering, it always decreases the agony, only we are unable to see it. This only God knows, how much one had to suffer, and how much suffering one got; one needs to have faith.

There is a family in Taran Taaran, a fifty year old person fell extremely sick in this family. One year had passed by, since his treatment had begun but there was no improvement in his condition, no medicine seemed to work. His condition was deteriorating. His wife happened to talk to a God fearing, religious woman; she told her that her husband was very sick, and no medicine was effective, they did not know what to do. She said a year had passed by since the treatment had begun. This pious woman had heard in the religious congregations about the greatness of Shri Sukhmani Sahib that reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cured one of disease. She told her not to lose heart, try taking shelter in Shri Sukhmani Sahib. Get one religious book of Shri Sukhmani Sahib. Recite five scriptures daily, for forty days religiously and regularly, and then pray to the Almighty. God will definitely show mercy.

On hearing this from the religious lady, she felt relaxed and hopeful; from the next day itself, she started reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib at her home, she would complete five recitations of the scripture, then she would pray for her husband to be cured. 15-20 days passed, since she had started reciting the five scriptures of Shri Sukhmani Sahib daily, religiously, but as God wills, the old mans condition started to worsen. Her young sons and other members of her family told her,
“Mother, ever since you have started reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, father’s disease has started to aggravate. It would be better if you would stop reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib.” But this woman did not give up her schedule. Another 2-4 days passed by, the old man became dangerously ill, the doctors at Taran Taaran said that nothing was in their hands, so they could not cure him. Please take the patient to Amritsar.

The patient was admitted to a hospital in Amritsar. But that womans sentiments, she continued to recite the five scriptures of Shri Sukhmani Sahib even in the hospital. She put a curtain on one side, in the hospital room and she continued to recite the five scriptures over there, religiously, everyday. But it seemed that God was still testing her. After 4-5 days, the doctors at the Amritsar hospital also gave up hope, they said that they did not have any cure for the disease; please take him to Delhi. They took the patient to Delhi by road, but great is that woman who did not abandon her ritual of recital, even in the car; she completed the recital of the five scriptures in the car. The patient was admitted in a hospital in Delhi, even over here she continued with her routine of reciting the scriptures. The members of her family would say, “oh mother! What is this you keep doing? Every where you are reciting the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib. It is making no difference to his health, instead his condition is going from bad to worse.” But that woman did not lose heart, she had faith and courage.

The testing time was not yet over. After 4-5 days, the doctors at Delhi hospital also gave up hope, and said that the patient would not live for more than 4-5 days, take him home and take care of him, look after him, and serve him, how much you can. They brought him back to Taran Taaran. The lady continued to recite the five scriptures of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, daily. This is true faith. She had hope and trust in her Guru. She wanted to please Him. Seeing so much love, affection, faith the Guru has to show mercy. The necessity is to make Him agree.

38 days passed by, ever since the lady had begun reciting five scriptures of Shri Sukhmani Sahib, daily, but there was no improvement in her husband’s condition. For forty days that woman, prayed regularly for her husbands health and for his body to be free of disease. On the forty first day, everybody was surprised, the patient began to show improvement and then there was no looking back, for he had started recuperating, day by day his condition improved. By the forty sixth day, there was a lot of improvement in the patient’s condition, he went to the doctors for a check-up, the doctors were amazed to see this miracle, and they wanted to know how he had managed to get rid of the disease. They were surprised, that how his condition had improved when the renowned doctors had said that they could not do anything for him to be cured. This was miraculous, the patient suffering from a disease and without medication, that disease was no more in the body, in fact the disease just could not be traced anywhere in the body.

After having read this incident, you should be able to decide for yourself, learn for yourself that how you have to regard and love Shri Sukhmani Sahib, what your attitude has to be. Baba Nand Singh Jis has said, “ a Sikh should have three qualities: firstly, he should not be in a haste – have patience; secondly, he should not lose hope – have faith; thirdly, he should not be proud – leave your ego; if he has these three qualities then his Guru will definitely bless him.” We are in a very vulnerable state, for when we recite the scripture, to be healed of some suffering and if within a few days we are not relieved, we tend to give up. Either we give up reciting the scriptures or we begin to look or run for other solutions. Always remember one thing, at times Guru also likes to test His disciples, He wants to see how true your faith is – so He puts you to testing times.

Whenever, He takes these small tests, we have to have such sentiments and feelings, that Oh! Lord, we are yours only; we have no one else to fend us but You. (Please, definitely keep this fine point in mind) side by side, you should definitely pray, thus: Oh Satguru! We are ignorant beings, we can not successfully pass your tests, please do not bring us to test, please help us, by being our support.

Please keep in mind, that if you have such a love, if you have such feelings and sentiments then the Guru is always there to protect you, He will take care of you and see to it that no harm comes to you. I am stating this with full faith in my Guru that you will never return empty handed, your future will shine, and your destiny will be bright. Guru will have to abolish your sufferings. If you take shelter in the scripture of the Shri Sukhmani Sahib, and your suffering does not end, it is just not possible. We may lack in faith or in feeling but there is no lack in His mercy, in His giving. There can be delay but not injustice.

If this third characteristic feature is written in detail and comprehensively then a separate book can be published. So, I conclude here that the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib cures the disease of the body. This is the third blessing.

{On reading this third feature if anybody forms unending faith in the scripture of Shri Sukhmani Sahib – that it not only cures the disease of the mind but of the body as well then I will consider this effort a success, by the grace of God.
Author}
harikadas
New User

Postby pawandeep84 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:07 am

anobody wrote:OK. So I suggest Dukh Bhanjani and Sukhmani Sahib.

Can you pls tell me which Guru wrote these shabads and from where I could get an English translation since the person in question is English.

Thank you

waheguru ji

Sukhmani Sahib is given to us by Guru Arjan Dev Ji
Dukh bhanjani Sahib is collection of banis from different angs of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

but i think it dosent matter which Guru gave this gift, all is ONE, Guru Granth Sahib Ji
< ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ
PawandeeP Singh
pawandeep84
Power User

Return to Sikhi Discussion