SGPC and Hukamnama Broadcast

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

SGPC and Hukamnama Broadcast

Postby Bharat Vir Singh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 am

Dear Sangat Ji, Lakh Lakh Vadhayee on GurtaGaddi Diwas of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee today!

I was quite disappointed today on not being able to listen to the Daily Hukamnama esp as today is the proper day for Gurtagaddi Diwas which has been celebrated in advance since many months now in all Gurdwaras.The audio was missing and as usual it was replaced by a slot-in audio file which is used everytime the specific audio of the day's Hukamnama is not available.I also checked the SGPC(Shromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee,Amritsar) website and found the same problem.So I decided to email them to complain.Not that they would heed it or reply it!Here it is:-

Sardar ji,

It is most shameful that even on this Gurtagaddi Diwas,which is the most important day in the Sikh calendar,you are unable to provide a proper audio file for the Audio Hukamnama for today.

Everybody knows you never do a live broadcast of the Daily Hukamnama.It is very obvious that your website plays only pre-recorded audio files of the Hukamanama of the day.And whenever there is a new Shabad,you are unable to do a live recording of a Paathi and just play "Dhanasri Chhant Mohalla Chautha" which is your excuse for not having a live audio broadcast.This is unacceptable behaviour.

Today like most other Siksh around the world,I was looking forward to listening to the Hukamnama of GurtaGaddi Diwas,but was very diappointed that the audio is unavailable.This is a very poor show and gives a disgusting and bad impression of this important website.This also reflects poorly on the managament and webmaster and also the SGPC adminstration.Perhaps Shri Badal should wake up and do something sensible about his control on this main Sikh body.The present state of affairs is most deplorable and unworthy.

We want to tell the whole world about Sikhism and Sikhs and yet this international website cannot even play the Hukamnama on this most important festival of Gurtagaddi Diwas 20th October 2008!Disgusting!

Most disappointed,

Bharat Vir Singh
UK

Sangat ji,
Was this a good idea?Please let me know what you think.Your comments/suggestions are appreciated.

~Bharat Vir Singh
Bharat Vir Singh
Active Forum User

Re: SGPC and Hukamnama Broadcast

Postby gmustuk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:01 am

Bharatvir Singh, I'm sure your intentions are good, but it is better to be tactful and diplomatic with criticism. You don't know the reasons why this has happened and the fact that the issue happened one day doesn't make them bad. The people who run the SGPC website are not "The SGPC". We should stop generalizing. They are individual Sikhs who work hard as best they can do provide this service. While there is always more that people can do.... it isn't fair to put them down for occasional mistakes. We should be supporting them...and helping lift them up. Negative and attacking comments only create resentment and further divide.

If there is something that you feel is not being done right....then you can give supportive encouragement and feedback. This will be taken by the people much more receptively. We all have to be like diplomats. If you go to someone and yell in their face and tell them how bad they are they will be angry and not want to listen to you. So, you have to be tactful in how you communicate if you want to get a desired action.

Anyways.... that's just my opinion...
gmustuk
SikhNet Team

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:05 am

Bharat Ji,

Gurpurab di lakh lakh wadhayeea.

I'm sorry to hear about this. And I too am writing to SGPC on this. I think on such a historical day they should have ensured that such a thing should not have happened.

I understand your pain and anguish, but you will agree that Badal has nothing to do with this and bringing him in serves no purpose.

Guru Rakha

ps. was getting worried as you have not posted a message for quite some time.
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby Bharat Vir Singh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Gurumustuk ji,

Thankyou for your response and advice,which I do respect and cherish.I entirely agree with you about being diplomatic,tactful,encouraging,etc,but I have done this email only after 3 previous emails to SGPC over last 6months in which I requested them not to slot-in prerecorded "Dhanasri Mehla Chautha,Chhant..." audio file everytime they have no live broadcast of that particular day's hukamnama.It is not a one-off as you say.That is what they are always doing.Perhaps you never listen to Hukamnama so you don't know. It is NEVER a live broadcast but they fish out a pre-recorded audio file.This is very sloppy workmanship and gives a lousy reflection of their website on which EVERY other Sikh website of the Internet depends for daily hukamnama.So you can see how important their function is,or should be.But they are sleeping.And they never answer emails which so many concerned Sikhs from all over the world send them all the time.The last time I had a reply from them was 3 years ago!Therefore i hope you can understand my frustration.

Gurufateh alias Vikramjit Singh ji, Sat Sri Akal!

Thankyou too for your warm and kind response.Yes I am a little scarce on the forum these days. I do not get much time sometimes as I devote more time to reading and understanding Gurbani of all types,and listening to Kirtan,Katha,going to Gurdwara,etc.instead of wasting time arguing on the forum.Thanks for asking,it is kind of you.
Last edited by gmustuk on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bharat Vir Singh
Active Forum User

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Fateh Ji,

I've sent the following email to SGPC:

On 20th October 2008 in India and overseas Sikhs must have logged in on the SGPC Site to hear Kirtan and Hukam from Guriji, whose Gurta Gaddi Gurpurab was being celebrated. But they must have logged off totally disappointed as the feed was not there.

Don’t you feel that SGPC should have taken measures to ensure that Guru’s Bani on this historical and auspicious day reached Sikhs who were anxiously and lovingly waiting to hear Guru’s Bani from the Holiest of Holy Shrines of Sikhism?

May I request you to kindly look into why this took place and ensure in future that this is not repeated.

SGPC needs to pay more attention to its Site and please do reply to emails. Many Sikh send in questions or sugestions and complaints hoping for a reply and end up totally disappointed as there s no response from SGPC. I’m sure SGPC will receive many complaints on the SGPC Site malfunctioning on Gurta Gaddi Diwas and I hope SGPC will respond to the emails and explain the reasons for the malfunction.
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Glass Half Full or Half Empty?

Postby gmustuk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:28 am

Everyone can complain about anything, but do we take time to appreciate that even though these facilities might not be perfect that they are there for us to enjoy and benefit from. So, you can complain and find fault...or you can look at the Gift and benefits that you enjoy and be thankful.

These things are done as a seva to the sangat and are not an obligation. You do not pay anything for it or contribute anything to provide this specific service. So please stop criticizing those involved in the SGPC website that won't even see these messages, and be thankful for being able to hear the Guru's message in whatever form is available (whether it is only in textual form...or audio). You are lucky to even have as much as you do, so be thankful.
gmustuk
SikhNet Team

Postby Bharat Vir Singh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 am

Gurumustuk ji, Sat Sri Akal!

I think that is a very complacent and condescending attitude.It is just like the people on the Indian subcontinent.If you crticize the government or the way things are in India,people talk you down and say,"stop complaining and thank god for what you get".This is a very negative and unprogressive attitude.There can never be improvement.That is why those countries are so backward and chaotic.For there to be improvement and progress there has to be appreciation of constant criticism,reviewing and introspection.And this kind of audit can only be possible if the authorities are accountable in the service that they provide and answerable to those they serve.Only a perfectionist approach can ensure constant improvement and high quality of life.Criticism should be welcomed and not evaded or shunned.
Bharat Vir Singh
Active Forum User

Postby pooja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 am

gmustuk ji,

If someone (in this case SGPC) provides the service then they should try to improve or otherwise, just discontinue. If there is no such services, nobody is going to compain anyway. I am not saying they should be perfect, but they can try to improve.

By the way, they get a lot of credit by providing these services. Many people treat them VIP because of their position.

Thank you.
pooja
Active Forum User

Postby hsrai » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Gmustuk Ji
As a learned Sikh, I know, you understand what seva signifies in Sikhism. In many gurdwaras, Sikhs have to stand in line for hours to get a chance to do seva. Only blessed Sikhs are able to perform seva. Yes, you are right that seva is not an obligation, but for a true Sikh it is much more that just an obligation it is part of being a Sikh. Please do not belittle Sikh seva by saying it is not even an obligation, seva is much bigger, ask Sikhs who have given their lives for Sikhism (I am sure no body asked them or paid them to do that). Also, I will like to thank you for doing great seva for Sikhs.
hsrai
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion