Sikhism Vs Punjabi culture

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Sikhism Vs Punjabi culture

Postby Jaybee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello all,

As a kid growing up in the 70's/80's, I envied the Sikhs for their boisterous parties, their generosity of both spirit and friendship, their amazing cuisine which was so full of garam masala, onions, garlic etc, and usually when we went to a Sikh household, we were served meat. For us this was absolutely beautiful, as Hindu children we were forced to remain not only vegetarian, but also swaminaryan, so our food was very bland - in my case, heartbreakingly so.

(This point about food, by the way, is a VERY sore one with me, and I will never forgive my father for it.)

Let me ask of you this; do you feel Sikhism is contrary to being a "true" Punjabi? To my mind, Sikhism (and of course, as a non-Sikh, I am open to correction) is about being quiet, true to the path of Sikhi, and placidly yielding to the correct authority until those very rare occasions when it proves itself otherwise, whereas the defining characteristics of Punjabi culture are high spirits, strong emotionalism, and thorough enjoyment of every single day. A thoroughly passionate life.

I appreciate that on a Sikh forum any transgressions from the prescribed life will be frowned upon. I also appreciate that, because you are here, you are likely Sikh first, Punjabi a distant second (or not at all, given what I saw of the Moderators!)

BUT...we live on Planet Earth, not Heaven. How have you balanced the difference between the two contrasting ways of life?
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Re: Sikhism Vs Punjabi culture

Postby Theodorus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Jaybee,

BUT...we live on Planet Earth, not Heaven. How have you balanced the difference between the two contrasting ways of life?

I think you have rather strange ideas of Sikhism as wel as Punjabi Culture.;-)

To start with; I'm Dutch and came into Sikhism just a couple of years ago. I tried to find the 'cut' between (religion) sikhism and punjabi (culture), and I can tell you: There is no clear cut, in fact they are very much intertwined.

I do not know where you got the idea that a true sikh cannot be of high spirits, strongly emotional, and thoroughly enjoy every single day or have a thoroughly passionate life? As far as I know there is nothing in sikhism that forbids all these things?
In fact all these things are not conta being quiet, true to the path of Sikhi, and placidly yielding to the correct authority until those very rare occasions when it proves itself otherwise. There is just a place and time for everything.

Off course sikhsime knows some rules but non of these are opposing 'normal' punjabi life.
I mean being vegatarion and not drinking alcohol does not mean you cannot be of high spirits or thoroughly enjoy every single day of have a thoroughly passionate life. And as for food; I've experienced that 'Sikh/Punjabi' food is much more spicy and tasty than I'm used to (even without meat and I used to eat meat)
Theodorus
Power User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 am

Theodorus ji,
Very well said, couldn't have agreed with you more.

Jaybee,
i hope you forgive your father, life is to short to be sore on something like type of food. He did provide you with food, Don't you think its shallow to be sore on the type of food he provided ?

About sikh spirit:-
The high spirits, jest for live and passion are some of the attitudes traits that can be formed if one believes in Mool Mantra, Sikh belief in the creator is based on the love for his creativity and not guilt of ones own action.

It tells one about the creator, if one understands that then you realize how often we all tend to humanize the creator, even give the creator human like properties, give the creator the same emotional insecurities that we all have and then question the creator on his insecurities, reading the mool mantra and really understanding it does answer a lot of your questions.

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby Jaybee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 am

Nihal Singh Kanakpuria wrote:Theodorus ji,
Very well said, couldn't have agreed with you more.

Jaybee,
i hope you forgive your father, life is to short to be sore on something like type of food. He did provide you with food, Don't you think its shallow to be sore on the type of food he provided ?

Hi Nihal,

The Moderator believes your question fit to be posed, so I shall answer it. Absolutely not. Every father's first duty to shelter and feed his children. Food is not a privelege, it is a necessity. However, mine chose to dictate his own tastes to us. You may have heard it said, "every man has his cross to bear". Every man reacts differently to different types of deprivation. My two brothers kept quiet, and they were served almost precisely the same food I was, but my individual physiology obviously craved the extra proteins, antioxidants and of course tastes found in Punjabi cuisine. As a mesomorph, I am markedly heavier than either of them. I recently calculated that we were on 15-20gms/day of protein at age 15, approximately 1/3rd of the RDA for Protein. So let's just say, the scars run very deep indeed. There is nothing superficial about my feelings on this matter. I too hope I can one day forgive him for what he did, both as a Christian and for my own general wellbeing, but I doubt it. As a bodybuilder, I take the business of protein VERY seriously indeed, and I ensure my two nieces and nephews, both of whom have have fervently Hindu vegetarian mothers (one of whom thinks that Fries/Onion rings constitute a meal), receive sufficient protein through lentils, soya mince, and Whey Protein shakes. I've discussed as much of that topic publicly as I care to. If you (or any others) wish to discuss any of the above further, by all means send me a PM.

I agree, however, that life is too short! :)

About sikh spirit:-
The high spirits, jest for live and passion are some of the attitudes traits that can be formed if one believes in Mool Mantra, Sikh belief in the creator is based on the love for his creativity and not guilt of ones own action.

It tells one about the creator, if one understands that then you realize how often we all tend to humanize the creator, even give the creator human like properties, give the creator the same emotional insecurities that we all have and then question the creator on his insecurities, reading the mool mantra and really understanding it does answer a lot of your questions.

I'll take a look. Once again, thank you for the well-informed reply.

Jaybee.
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 pm

In my opinion it is culture which leads to a religion.Organised religions are outcome of socio-political circumstances in different lands at different times.SSA
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby jasbirs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:03 am

Romesh Kumar wrote:Organised religions are outcome of socio-political circumstances in different lands at different times

Unorganized religions are outcome of Human ingnorance at the onset of Human beings' existence on planet Earth.Such socio-political groups pretending to be religions are based upon mixture of ego and stupidity in present times.
jasbirs
Active Forum User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 am

jasbirs wrote:Such socio-political groups pretending to be religions are based upon mixture of ego and stupidity in present times.

Have organized ones in present times really become free of alleged mixture of ego and stupidity ? Needs introspection.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm

there is a limit to an argument and argument and argument. they are tired of it by now
swarn bains
Power User

Postby jasbirs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Romesh Kumar wrote:Have organized ones in present times really become free of alleged mixture of ego and stupidity ? Needs introspection.

Unorganized religions are legacy of human follies that prevailed during the primitive stage of human race on planet earth. Such follies were perpetuated by certain individuals for their own selfish reasons. Much more convolutions and confusions were added to these follies over the period of time. These black holes of chaos , confusion and false stories have created fanatic terrorists time and again who polluted the atmosphere around them. It is ridiculous to see that even at present times ,where education is easily available in all societies, fanatics of these lifeless socio political groups attempt to demonstrate their superiority by their vast collection of primitive era stupidities.
jasbirs
Active Forum User

Postby gurmail » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 am

Epitaph of every man : According to spouse " Never loved enough". According to off springs "Never left enough".

Parents do their best according to their acquired wisdom and if offsprings are not happy about something then they can make it better for next generation and possibly make different "mistakes". How many generations does it take for the "mistake" to repeat itself?
I fear humanity is doomed to whine about deprived childhood.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Questions and Answers