What is Naam

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.
jazzpsingh
New User

What is Naam

Post by jazzpsingh »

I have asked my self this question as Naam comes often in Gurbani. What is Naam?

As I understand Naam = state of being one with God/Reality and then Naam=names of God in Guru Granth Sahib (Satnam, Waheguru..., recitation of which can be used a meditation technique to get to state of Naam.

What is our goal as a Sikh? I don't feel that its simply going to gurudwara and bowing.

Rather is to be in state of Naam by using techniques such as listening to Kirtan = help us calm down and go inside, doing sews = make us humble.

What do you think?

Further links:
Thanks for the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgozNFYFuk4
http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart20.htm
fiveshabds
New User

Re: What is Naam

Post by fiveshabds »

Naam has been called by many names such as audible life stream or sound current. In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib its called panch shabds or 5 shabads.

Other saints and mystics have called it different names:

"Naad", "Akash Bani", and "Sruti" in the Vedas
"Nada" and "Udgit" in the Upanishads
"Logos" and "Word" in the New Testament
"Tao" by Lao Zi
"Music of the Spheres" by Pythagoras
"Sraosha" by Zoraster
"Kalma" and "Kalam-i-Qadim" in the Qur'an
"Naam", "Akhand Kirtan" and "Sacha ('True') Shabd" by Guru Granth Sahib

The bible refers to the holy trinity, Naam, Satguru and God. These 3 are the same but they are different as well.

Ie This Naam is the creative power that has been sent by god to create this whole creation and run this creation and it also is God. A Satguru is a manifestation of this Naam or Shabd.
Sikh2014
Active Forum User

Post by Sikh2014 »

I have always struggled to understand this concept as it is a philosophical and theological idea, I can only conclude that Naam is a kind of "identity giving life force". It resolves time, through creation, in creation if that makes sense. Imagine a rangoli pattern or a geometric configuration that can change ever so slightly over time, then it suddenly folds in on itself and bursts forth into a new array giving birth to a new identity. This can't be stopped unless time stops but time solely "is" the period for the duration of this happening. I'm not a philosopher but that's where I'm at, I get a burst of energy from sleep, exercise , gurbani, meditation, eating and sunlight, all of which catapults me into action, this I believe is a similar force which asks me to resolve my identity in time. As a human I must eat, breathe, drink water. Interaction asks me to have companionship, culture, affiliation etc. Anyway I think I'm going off topic.
sanwal
New User

Post by sanwal »

have always struggled to understand this concept as it is a philosophical and theological idea, I can only conclude that Naam is a kind of "identity giving life force". It resolves time, through creation, in creation if that makes sense. Imagine a rangoli pattern or a geometric configuration that can change ever so slightly over time, then it suddenly folds in on itself and bursts forth into a new array giving birth to a new identity. This can't be stopped unless time stops but time solely "is" the period for the duration of this happening. I'm not a philosopher but that's where I'm at, I get a burst of energy from sleep, exercise , gurbani, meditation, eating and sunlight, all of which catapults me into action, this I believe is a similar force which asks me to resolve my identity in time. As a human I must eat, breathe, drink water. Interaction asks me to have companionship, culture, affiliation etc. Anyway I think I'm going off topic.
SANWAL
angel10
New User

Post by angel10 »

Mere reciting something is not prayer, unless it was recited with faith and from the heart.
Gurbani teaches this to us, so we should not ignore this part when interpreting gurbani.
Gurbani also says that God always grants our prayer, and this should not be a question.
angel
drake
New User

Post by drake »

The basic definition of Naam is contained in the Sukhmani and in some other quotations from the Guru Granth, given below:
(i)‘Naam sustains all regions and universes, all thought, knowledge and consciousness, all skies and stars, all forces and substances,all continents and spheres. Naam emancipates those who accept it in their heart. He, on whom is His Grace, is yoked to Naam and he reaches the highest state of development.’
(ii) ‘Naam is the Creator of everything. To be divorced from Naam is death.’
‘All is created by Naam.’
‘Naam gives form to everything and through Naam comes all Wisdom or Light.’
(iii) ‘Naam extends to all creation. There is no place or space where Naam is not.’
(iv) Naam is the ‘Nine Treasures’ and Nectar (amrita). It permeates the body.’
(v) ‘Naam, the immaculate, is unfathomable, how can it be known? Naam is within us, how to get to it ? It is Naam that works everywhere and permeates all space. The perfect Guru awakens your heart to the vision of Naam. It is by the Grace of God that one meets such an Enlightener.’
classic lurker srs
sikh crew too strong
onelowlydas
New User

Post by onelowlydas »

Naam......The whole creation is created by his name...naam or anhad......it is embedded in us too. To activate it you have to do simran/path...be saachiyara....& than act as such too.....once activated it will help you merge with Vaheguru/almighty.

The purpose of life is find our maker & be one with him.
After lot of bhagti....the vibration of naam will become automatic inside you...ajaapa jaap.......than....with more bhagti ......your dasam duar will open...10th door...abode of almighty ......& after more bhagti......& so on....journey will start....only with his grace...bhul chuk maaf

Post by Guest »

I will try to table my views in context to other replies.
It is so wrong to try to define gurbani by using other books, specially snaatan literature like puraans, upanishads etc. which go against gurbani. Gurbani is a different gyan, "pure" gyan having its own identity, if other literature is used to understand it, then the meaning changes. But, its a separate discussion.
"Naad" is different then "Naam", knowledge of naam can be attained by hearing the "anaahad naad" (which cannot be heard with physical ears but inner mind), but still they are different. Again, this is a separate discussion.
If the meaning of 'naam' had been just the name of the lord, then even common people know atleast 10 names of the lord, 'waheguru' and 'raam' included. But, the following lines contradict this notion:-
"naam na janya raam ka. moode, fir paachhe pachtahe re" ank-156
"raam naam janyo nahi, fir kaise utras paar" ank-1105

Naam is 'Hukam' according to:-
"eko naam hukam hai, jin satgur diya bujhaye jiyo" ank-72
Hukam being rules and regulations determining not only our lives but the whole of the universe. But it is very difficult to describe hukam:-
"hukmi hovan akaar, hukam na kaheya jayi" ank-1
"aakhan aukha saacha nao" ank-9
So, it is described as gyan:-
"gur gyan padaarath naam hai, har naame de dridaye" ank-759
"raja raam naam mora brahm gyan" ank-1159

Now, the concept of japna. 'Jap' does not mean chanting with mouth repeatedly. It means 'to understand or contemplate'.
"raam raam sabh ko kahae, kahiye raam n hoe" ank-491
So, we have to contemplate upon the gyan given in Aad Granth Sahib:-
"aisa gyan japo mere meeta" ank-331
"aisa gyan japo mann mere" ank-728
Truth1
New User

Post by Truth1 »

Naam is Truth. It's the frequency if a balanced gyan that lives to discovery while remaining detached from the highs n lows of the discoveries. Attune yourself to this frequnecy by applying gurbani to your daily life. Relax and listen to Anhad Naad, the ringing sound u can hear when u relax- it is symbolic of the Truth/silence, for even sound is an illusion.God Bless you.

Satnaam