Paath (timings)

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.
Disciple5
Active Forum User

Paath (timings)

Post by Disciple5 »

Hi,

My knowledge on what Paath to do at what time is non-existant. All I know is that, Jap Ji and Jap Sahib ji are to be done in the morning, please correct me if i'm wrong. I'd really appreciate it, if anyone could please tell me the appropriate time to do all the different Paaths, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,
love Disciple5

=)
Singh_One
New User

Re: Paath (timings)

Post by Singh_One »

You can do any paath at any time. There is no timing, atleast there shouldn't be. Sikhs need to rise from this misconception that only some paaths can be done at some time.
As an experiment, I want you to read Japji Sahib at night time, see what happens....Nothing will happen. The reason for that is that these are directions and instructions that the Gurus left for us. Repeating these instructions day and night will do nothing.
As a Sikh and as a human being, please use your common sense and realize that reading it won't do anything. Instead read it to understand what its telling us to do, and then do it.
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Post by kjsinghhyd »

In the morning after bath:
Japuji Sahib
Jaap Sahib
Tva Prasad Sawaiye
Chopai Sahib
Anand Sahib

Evening:
Rehras Sahib (including complete Chopai Sahib)

Night time, before going to sleep:
Kirtan Sohila

These are the Baanis one should do on a personal level. Guru Sahib also advised people to join Gurudwara for:
Asa Ki Vaar (morning)
Aarti (evening)

It is also suggested to do Raakhya ke Shabad at night along with Kirtan Sohila and Sukhmani Sahib daily.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਇ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੰਗ - Khalsa is the One who always battles the vices within
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Post by kjsinghhyd »

Dear Singh_One ji

ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਕੇਹਾ ਸੋ ਘਰੁ ਕੇਹਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਬਹਿ ਸਰਬ ਸਮਾਲੇ ॥

This pauree of Japuji Sahib appears again when we do Rehras Sahib in the evening. And there are enlightened Gursikhs who have compared the 2 versions of this Pauree and how 'as the day progresses' the meaning, theme and language of Guru's instructions change. So one thing is for sure, Japuji Sahib is for morning and Rehras is for evening. And they have a LINK when done in a certain manner.

Please don't suggest people to go against Maryada for experiment purpose. You would do a lot of good to Panth and its future.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

Singh_One
New User

Post by Singh_One »

kjsinghhyd wrote:Dear Singh_One ji

ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਕੇਹਾ ਸੋ ਘਰੁ ਕੇਹਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਬਹਿ ਸਰਬ ਸਮਾਲੇ ॥

This pauree of Japuji Sahib appears again when we do Rehras Sahib in the evening. And there are enlightened Gursikhs who have compared the 2 versions of this Pauree and how 'as the day progresses' the meaning, theme and language of Guru's instructions change. So one thing is for sure, Japuji Sahib is for morning and Rehras is for evening. And they have a LINK when done in a certain manner.

Please don't suggest people to go against Maryada for experiment purpose. You would do a lot of good to Panth and its future.
Who are these enlightened Gursikhs you speak of? What you wrote basically tells me that you think that reading paath at different times will give it a different meaning. If i read Japuji sahib at night, will its meaning change? Because thats exactly what you are implying. I am not suggesting that people go against the sikh maryada, i am telling them to use common sense instead of this idiocy. Also, what is the LINK that you speak of? I don't mean to sound as if i am attacking you, i am just debating your points. Oh and who wrote the maryada? I would also like to know that.

Also, the last statement you wrote can be used against you as well. What if i tell you to stop telling people to go against what the bani is saying and telling them to recite it instead of doing what it tells you and reading it as instructions, instead of a mantra. I think it would do alot of good to Panth and its future.
By the way, i want every single one of my questions answered, and not just one.
Disciple5
Active Forum User

Post by Disciple5 »

Thank you Singh_one and Kjsinghhyd for your quick and helpfull responses. I agree with you Singh_one that the Gurtka should be read for better understanding, so that I can acquire some knowledge of what I am meant to do. I can't read punjabi, so I do read the punjabi part to the best of my ability, and the translations along side.

Kjsinghhyd, thank you for letting me know the different times for the different paaths. The reason why I ask is, because i don't want to do anything disrespectful, and I would like to do things in a appropriate manner. I want the truth, and Shree Guru Granth Sahib ji, is the only truth I know.

With that said, I know that it will take me months and years to completely grasp what is being said, and what I'm being instructed to do. However, I've already noticed a difference in my behavior, and my thoughts.

End of the day, I know that it's most important to be a good human being, which makes for a good Sikh.

Thanks guys.
I really appreciate it.
David Singh
Active Forum User

Post by David Singh »

We cannot even begin to understand how Gurbani works. I believe that any and all of Gurbani can change your life. It would also seem that one Word or one Shabad can be enough for some.

Naam Simran can be the repetition of one Word or one Shabad or the entire Gurbani. Surely all will focus your mind on God.

I once heard a katha about the time of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, when a crowd was gathered to meet Guru Ji. Waiting in the crowd was a simple man. He was sitting in the Guru Ji’s way, and as Guru Ji approached he was requested to get out of the way. Guru Ji asked him to "purray hut", which can be roughly translated to move out of the way. The simple man was so overjoyed that Guru Ji had spoken to him, and believed that Guru Ji had giving him a personal blessing. He started to repeat the words " purray hut" with conviction again and again and again… whenever he would come across something negative in his life the words "purray hut" would come into his mind… and there came the day when he would achieve the status of Brahm Giani.
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Post by kjsinghhyd »

Sent: Mon, August 30, 2010 6:16:40 AM
Subject: Rehraas Sahib vs Japji Sahib

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ji,

Saadh Sangat ji ,
Before proceeding ahead,
I would deeply apologies and also rather I don’t deserve any connotation for presenting the shankas (doubts) in the Baani of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
I don’t have any intension to find out the variations.

All we know that Shri Rehraas Sahib is contributed by our five Gurus 1. Dhan sri Guru nanak Dev ji. 2. Dhan Sri Guru Amar Das ji. 3.Dhan Sri Guru ram Das ji, 4. Dhan Sri guru Arjan Dev ji and 5. Dhan Sri Guru Gobind singh Sahib ji, And the Composition of the Bani of Dhan sri Guru Gobind singh Sahib ji was added in the 19th Century by some of the Sikh Gurmukhs.

In Rehraas Sahib :
So Dar Raag Aasa Mehla 1
Ik onkar Satguru Prasaad
So Dar tera Kea So ghar Keha Jit Beh Sarab Samale………..

Since this is Aasa mehla 1, this is bit obvious that this particular Salok belong to Dhan Guru Nanak Dev sahib ji’s Bani and Same tukkan (Paragraph) is also present in Japji Sahib till “ So Paatsaho Saha Pat Saheb, nanak rehen rajaee”. If I am not wrong this particular Paragraph is the explanation by Dhan Guru nanak Dev patshah ji to the Lord regarding his adoration (I red in Guru Nanak Dev ji’s Saaakhi).

There fore since Baani is same, Meaning is same, Guru is Same then why in the Rehraas Sahib there are few variances with respect to the one which is in Shri Japji Sahib?

I would really very much thank to the person who will ensure these for me.
“!!Koin jan har syon deve jor ! bakhoon shubh rasna ,Deeje pran Akhor!!”

Gurmukh Piyarion please forgive me for sending such kind of mail for ensuring the Baani instead of asking the same thing physically with some gursikh beloved one.

----------------------------------------------------------

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Ravneet Singh wrote:

Waheguru ji kaa khalsa Waheguru ji kee fateh Ji

I don't have definite answer to your questions. However, it's not only with Rehraas Sahib, but there are couple of shabad that repeat couple of times in Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sodar pauri comes in Guru Granth Sahib Ji 3 times. As one of the veer mentioned that we use different words at different times to convey same thing. Another reason I know of is that different words are to fit in particular melody. Guru Sahib has devised wonderful way of Raag and Ghars to set up melodies for each Shabad and words are twisted little bit at different places in Guru Granth Sahib to fit very well in that particular melody.

Also, Japji Sahib baani talks at philosphical level, while Rehraas Sahib bani talks about personal relationship between soul and Akaal Purakh. That's why usage of words like "Tudhno", "Tera" lot of times in Rehraas Sahib.

Regards
Ravneet Singh

----------------------------------------------------------

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

in addition to brinderpal veer and ravneet veer .... i just have one more additional information to your questions ............. this is what i heard in one of the katha by a katha vachak (i dont remember the name).

In Japji Sahib the if you look its somewhat as if there are questions and answers
So Dr Keyha So Ghr Keyha Jet Bhe Srb Smaley || ??
and its way of asking questions when a person(third person) or even sometimes to yourself also. (please note the person here does not represent the person of whom its been talked about).

in rehraas sahib of you notice the path is
So Dr Teyra Keyha So Ghr Keyha Jet Bhe Srb Smaley ||

now you can notice the difference in which the question is asked ; its similar to when you ask to a person (in this case Akaal purkh) (the word teyra is used when a person, to which the paragraph is referred is close by)
as ravneet veer said 'Rehraas Sahib bani talks about personal relationship between soul and Akaal Purakh'
i think the other words which you have highlighted also if you look in this perspective, would match up.

Guru Fateh
Ravneet Singh
This is what I could get of that email conversation. We even had more discussion about it in our Gurbani Vyakhya class. But I don't have any doc of that time. This should answer your LINK question. You can do more research online, and by yourself doing the Paath.

What I say is that there is basic Nitnem given to us for morning and evening and we should stick to that. I am not saying you cannot do Japuji Sahib in the evening. If you wish to read Japuji Sahib 'again' in the evening, it is not bad.

Maryada is not written. But being followed by Sikhs since more than 300 years. And the 7 Baanis (5 morning, 1 evening, 1 night) are the bare minimum every Sikh has to read. There are many Rehit Maryadas written by Bhai Nand Lal ji and others which talk about it. More important than what's written is what has been followed by our forefathers.
stop telling people to go against what the bani is saying and telling them to recite it instead of doing what it tells you and reading it as instructions, instead of a mantra
You confuse me! But I have to stop people from going against what Bani is saying. And that includes me. Everyday many actions of mine don't follow what Gurbani is advising against. And I try to stop myself. Gurbani is an instruction set and the Universe has been fashioned in it, including us. But our actions take us away from Waheguru.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

Amrit.S
Power User

Post by Amrit.S »

There's a good discussion going on in this thread.

I personally agree with Singh_One. His thoughts are more logically based. It seems that people have made the reading of Gurbani into a ritual, applying certain times of day to certain shabads.

Gurbani asks us to just to chant Gurbani, day and night.

ha-o vaaree jee-o vaaree gobind gun gaavani-aa.
I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe.

gobid gobid kahai din raatee gobid gun sabad sunaavni-aa. ||1|| rahaa-o.
So chant Gobind, Gobind, the Lord of the Universe, day and night; sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord Gobind, through the Word of His Shabad. ||1||Pause|| (SGGS, 121)

However, it is a maryada to read Nitnem, there are times when I do not read Japji Sahib in the morning, rather, I may sing a few shabads in Raags. As long as I chant the Name of that one Lord, by contemplating Gurbani, I believe I am still following instructions of Gurbani.

You must also understand. No maryada is above Guru Granth Sahib ji. The reason why a set maryada for ALL sikhs was implemented was to keep everyone on the same page. However, I am not aware of any certain Banis were read as a maryada, before the SGPC maryada was created. Having a certain set of Banis sets a standard between all Sikhs. The maryada itself forms a unity between all Sikhs. I was having trouble in expressing my thoughts in this paragraph, so please pardon me for my mistakes.

Then comes reading. Merely reading Rehras Sahib or Japji Sahib has no use. By understanding and applying the teachings of the Guru in our lives, then there is a use.

I would like you to read the small statement made by the Guru Granth Sahib Academy:

"Guru Granth Sahib Ji contains the universal message. Spreading that message globally and making everyone understand that 'God is one', will assist in creating a better tolerant and peaceful society, whereby every person can enjoy his/her rights.

Today reading, singing and listening to Gurbani has become a mere source of musical enjoyment. Continuous series of Akhand paths' and numerous Kirtan darbars being held in and outside our Gurudwara's have become more like rituals. The life of a Sikh is not changing at all. Even those Gursikh's who have been doing Nitnem daily and paying obeisance daily at Gurudwara’s for years are seen doing things in their life contrary to Gurmat philosophy. The message of Guru Granth Sahib Ji on this is very clear.

kiaa parreeai kiaa guneeai ||
What use is it to read, and what use is it to study?

kiaa baedh puraanaa(n) suneeai ||
What use is it to listen to the Vedas and the Puraanas?

parrae sunae kiaa hoee ||
What use is reading and listening,

jo sehaj n miliou soee ||1||
if celestial peace is not attained? ||1||

har kaa naam n japas gavaaraa ||
The fool does not chant the Name of the Lord.

kiaa sochehi baara(n) baaraa ||1|| rehaao ||
So what does he think of, over and over again? ||1||Pause||

a(n)dhhiaarae dheepak cheheeai ||
In the darkness, we need a lamp

eik basath agochar leheeai ||
to find the incomprehensible thing.

basath agochar paaee ||
I have found this incomprehensible thing;

ghatt dheepak rehiaa samaaee ||2||
my mind is illuminated and enlightened. ||2|| (SGGS, 655)

So Gurbani is not a subject of listening and reading only. Gurbani is our Guru and to understand the message of Guru and then to implement that message in real life is the responsibility of every Sikh."

So again, doing my nitnem, I may not read all the Bani's that I have to, I may read a few but I will understand what each line means, to understand what the message of my Guru is.

Post by Guest »

hi!

As kjsinghhyd said, banis have their recommended timings. A specific bani MUST be recited at her proper timigs.

Gurbani has whole natural science behind her.Gurbani have immense power to balance and set the mind and body in right direction. Its is not the play of children to experiment with her.

One should refrain from doing experimentation with gurbani without proper knowledge and guidance. This is same as some naive starts doing experiments with the chemicals in the chemistry lab. This will surely harm him very badly if gone wrong.

This is my personnel experience.

If u start doing reciting jaap sahib at night, then we will see how much downwards ur life will ,then, go.

So recite gurbani on her proper timings and if u want to do experiments with gurbani u should be under someones guidance.

Please forgive me for any of my mistakes!!!

Thanks...