The Way of The Sikh: Letter & Spirit # 44

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.

The Way of The Sikh: Letter & Spirit # 44

Postby Yuktanand Singh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:18 am

A Beggar’s Prayer:
The Way of The Sikh -
Letter & Spirit # 44

YUKTANAND SINGH

Translated from ‘Gurmukh Sikhia’ by Bhai Vir Singh

Part XXVII-A

O my mind, remain always with the Lord.
Remain with the Lord, My mind,
And all your sufferings will vanish.
When He accepts you as His own,
All your affairs will be perfectly arranged.
Our Lord Master is all-powerful to do anything.
Why would you forget Him?
Says Nanak: O my mind, remain always with the Lord. [GGS:917]

‘Remaining with Waheguru’ means not letting go of His simran from our mind.

“The Lord Master's naam is priceless; no one knows its value” [GGS 81.9].

Naam removes all sins and suffering. One must do as much simran as possible with a single mind. Naam enters from the conscious mind into the unconscious, where it clears away old and hidden faults. Once naam has settled in the unconscious mind then the simran continues spontaneously.

Before the time of Guru Sahiban one would have to be alone to find personal spiritual progress. Guru Sahib taught us the method of practicing naam in fellowship and thus obtaining collective progress.

Naam is to be repeated whenever one has a spare moment. If the train is late, we have to wait. That time can be spent in naam simran. The intervals between various activities can be thus made useful. Such a technique is simple and easy.

This is called an effortless effort, even though it may be slower. Whatever a yogi can achieve in two years a householder can achieve through this effortless effort in a slightly longer period. This period is much shorter if one has deep devotion.

Naam simran has this advantage over all other paths, that its practice does not generate pride.

Practice simran while maintaining pure conduct, and remain in sangat (spiritual company), sangat of the words uttered by a gurmukh who has transcended the world, or the sangat of those individuals who are already walking on this path.

Simran in the unconscious mind is not noticeable but it continues to eliminate bad karam and the pain of sins that are yet to manifest. This debt is removed from our stored karam. We must do simran for at least five minutes every day, and much more, as far as possible.

Guru sahib has described the benefits of naam simran in these words:

"The Jewel of the Lord's name has come to abide within my heart since the Guru has placed his hand upon my head. The sins and pains of countless incarnations have been cast out. The Guru has blessed me with naam, the name of the Lord, and my debt has been paid off." [GGS:696]

Naam connects our intellect with Waheguru. Our mind that was bent downwards, attracted to a lower form of existence, it rises and turns upwards. We turn from mere material awareness to spiritual awareness. All this occurs spontaneously and easily with the simran of Waheguru.

If we dropped a hose running green water into a bucket full of red water, then after a while the red water will be gone. Only green water will be left behind. Similarly, with repetition of naam, naam takes abode in our unconscious mind and prior bad karam is eliminated from it.

Naam is the priceless jewel itself. Do not seek some other treasure with the help of naam simran. Naam is that priceless treasure. Those who seek something else, they wander and are lost.

Waheguru's naam resides in a word so that it can be repeated easily. Do your daily duties, enjoy clean pleasures, and do naam simran whenever you are free from your work.

Only some rare individuals understand the value of naam simran. A name takes us to the person who was thus named, just as, when you ask for me by my name, you are able to reach me. Similarly, after you have obtained naam then keep repeating it. It will take you to its owner.

Having the thirst for naam, Kabir threw himself across a path. The Guru, walking in the early morning darkness, stumbled upon him and spontaneously uttered naam out to him. This is how Kabir obtained naam. Then he nurtured it and became one with it.

The matter is simple but educated people have difficulty understanding it. We spend a lot of time in explanations. All these details are only for the educated. An illiterate person simply starts to act on the lesson and finds happiness.

Calling 'Waheguru ... Waheguru' is all we need. Just continue to repeat naam simran. Do not stop it.

Someone who repeats naam does not feel proud of it and says, "I repeat Waheguru ... Waheguru. But it is a beggar's prayer, a call to attract my Lord Master".

September 3, 2014

http://sikhchic.com/article-detail.php?id=5252&cat=12
Yuktanand Singh
Power User

Re: The Way of The Sikh: Letter & Spirit # 44

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 am

Yeah this could be an informative post which helps me a lot.

Return to The Guru's Path