Do we really take care of ourselves

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports

Do we really take care of ourselves

Postby Khalsa Sikhi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:59 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Unfortunately with our culture our food doesn't tend to be healthy - cooked oils, nutrients killed through vigorous cooking. How could we implement a healthier way of eating within the sangat before it gets to the point where the doctor gives some bad news.

The tough thing is everyone knows what they should be eating and how they should be exercising but they are simply not doing so. How can we begin to influence change?

Blog post: Me, Myself and I http://conversationsfromasikh.blogspot. ... and-i.html
Khalsa Sikhi
New User

Re: Do we really take care of ourselves

Postby David Singh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

A very good question. I am surprised at the lack of responses. Here is a suggestion to get this discussion going. Perhaps we need to put posters on the wall to inspire us like some teenagers do with pop stars. Anybody know where I could get a wall poster of Fauja Singh?

Have to say I loved your post, and have read both of your articles on your blog. You write with such sincerity and clarity. Please continue to write and inspire us.
David Singh
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 am

So true KhalsaSikhi, there is not enough emphasis given on this subject.
Punjabi food is so rich, with oils, ghee and butter. Then you have all the sweets, jalebis, ladoos, etc.
Excercise is very important. Nowadays kids don't excercise - hence the obesity rates.

I am glad you bought up such a good topic. Thanks for bringing this up.

WJKK, WJKF.

Postby ruchibatra9 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 am

The lifestyle, the culture, the stress all of this leads to making career, money and all other material things the objective of our life. While we start running behind these things, we forget to take care of our mind, body and soul.
ruchibatra9
New User

Postby jamesbean » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:00 am

You have asked a very sensible question. If you do care about your health avoid oily, spicy food.Go for fresh vegetable,fruits and lots of water.
arguing right
jamesbean
New User

Postby lostandfound » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 am

Definitely agree with you on this topic - there is not enough awareness or exposure on this topic. Many punjabi dishes use so much oil and ghee and they lose so much nutritional value through cooking times. When I cook at home, I feel as though the smallest things can make a big difference. For example - instead of deep frying paneer/karelas/samosa's/veggie patties etc. I brush a tiny amount of oil on the dish and bake in the oven instead. My husband is very health conscious so we only use 1 spray olive oil when making sabzi at home. The taste is definitely altered, but we have started preferring the lighter dishes - especially in the evenings.
I think smoothies are a great idea as well. Throw some fruit, skim milk, honey and some nuts (when eaten in moderation, full of healthy fats which are important for the function of mind and body) into a blender for a delicious, healthy treat! Would love to hear other people's idea's and tips!!
lostandfound
New User

Postby Ricky100 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:12 am

Health is precious thing so we should take care of it. We should eat healthy food for the healthy body. We should do exercise daily. We should follow every single activity that is best for ourself so in short we should take care of ourself. For more healthy information and suggestions you can contact with me.
Ricky100
New User

Return to Health and Wellbeing