being a vegetarian??

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports

being a vegetarian??

Postby spiritual peace » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Dear everyone,

I would like to ask two questions about vegetarianism...
1) in sikhism, are sikhs allowed to eat meat, fish, egg, dairy products or any kind of flesh derived from an animal? I am confused because many people say that sikhs are allowed to eat meat but not halal meat. what is the right way?

2) being a vegetarian, which means not eating any kind of meat,chicken,fish and eggs... by not eating egg, meaning wouldn't ever crack and fry an egg intentionally, does not eating egg also mean to not consume anything that contains egg, for example, cakes,buiscuits and chocolates that contains egg in the ingredients.

I appreciate your time, thank you very much.
spiritual peace
New User

Re: being a vegetarian??

Postby spiritual peace » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Hmmm 70 views..and not even one reply...

Will you please answer my questions..?

Thank you...

Moderator Note: Did you search the archives?
spiritual peace
New User

Postby spiritual peace » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:31 pm

yes, i've found the answer to the first question only..by searching through the archive...

approx. 90% of amritdhari sikhs are lacto-vegetarians and there are several holy quotes in the Guru Grant Sahib Ji that is evidence for the particular belief...and for the ones who do eat meat, jhatka meat hasnt been mentioned anywhere but theres a disapproval of halal meat, the reason being is the way the animal is slaughtered and..Jhatka meat is not cut in the name of God...

hmm hope the answers to my research are right...

thank you moderator for your help... :-)
spiritual peace
New User

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Not even in sikkhism, but no human is allowed to eat meat. our organs are not designed to digest them. The stomach has to over exert to digest meat and hence research shows that meat eater die 10 years in advance. Compare yourself to a horse, donkey. put a meat in front of them, they will never eat. vegetarians have a long intestine and non vegetartians have a small interstine. i read somewhere. Apart from that eating an egg related stuff also doesnt gives me peace. How can we jus end a newly budding life. if a person is strong enough to eat the youngones in his/her own familiy- kids, infants, then they can go ahead an eat enything. i believe we should all be fruitarian- wheat, apple, rice, flower, etc, etc rather than being even veg. any thoughts will be appreciated.

i also opened a topic on this. the moderators didnt approve it stating its been discussed.

Postby kjsinghhyd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:46 pm

does not eating egg also mean to not consume anything that contains egg, for example, cakes,buiscuits and chocolates that contains egg in the ingredients

Some of my Gursikh friends who didn't eat meat used to consume that stuff. One day they read the ingredients (and the red sign as in Indian eatables) and after that they stopped buying such stuff (with egg).

They also don't have meat (whether Jhatka or Halal) for they believe there was no Jhatka meat when Rehatnama was written. And halal was the commonplace terminology for meat.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਇ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੰਗ - Khalsa is the One who always battles the vices within
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Postby spiritual peace » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 pm

gaganjeet wrote:Not even in sikkhism, but no human is allowed to eat meat. our organs are not designed to digest them. The stomach has to over exert to digest meat and hence research shows that meat eater die 10 years in advance. Compare yourself to a horse, donkey. put a meat in front of them, they will never eat. vegetarians have a long intestine and non vegetartians have a small interstine. i read somewhere. Apart from that eating an egg related stuff also doesnt gives me peace. How can we jus end a newly budding life. if a person is strong enough to eat the youngones in his/her own familiy- kids, infants, then they can go ahead an eat enything. i believe we should all be fruitarian- wheat, apple, rice, flower, etc, etc rather than being even veg. any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you for your reply gaganjeet, yes you have a point and also from another point of view people also say that having canine teeth in our mouth proves that meat is allowed..a canine tooth can be found in cats and any dog and the canine tooth also belongs to humans, which we use for small things like biting up little bits of food, in other animals such as tigers and lions, they use them for ripping and tearing, usually their food, which is meat of another animal.

yes you have a point, egg is a type of chicken, but undeveloped.

please may i ask you what your take is, on eating vegetables..because you mentioned fruitarian, only eating fruits,wheat and rice..?
spiritual peace
New User

Postby spiritual peace » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:43 pm

kjsinghhyd wrote:Some of my Gursikh friends who didn't eat meat used to consume that stuff. One day they read the ingredients (and the red sign as in Indian eatables) and after that they stopped buying such stuff (with egg).

They also don't have meat (whether Jhatka or Halal) for they believe there was no Jhatka meat when Rehatnama was written. And halal was the commonplace terminology for meat.

informative, thank you for your reply kjsinghhyd.

please may i ask you what the reasons are behind the Guru ji's teachings of being forbidden to eat meat,chicken,fish and egg? what are the reasons behind the teachings of sikhism that explain why a sikh is not allowed to eat such food?
spiritual peace
New User

Postby kjsinghhyd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

I believe when Guru Amardas jee propagated the concept of Langar, he made sure food was vegetarian. It is up to you to believe whether it was just so that everyone could have food together (whether person was vegetarian or non-veg) or was it an actual lifestyle suggestion too.

How Gurbani puts forth the view is that, eating non-veg food, you have to 'pay' more. How more? I will come on that later. Some subtle comparisons are like, if you know you can have only 1 roti, why will someone eat 3 rotis? One more thing, there are farmers who plant low water absorbing fields in winters if there is less chance of rain (the whole winter-summer crop phenomenon). e.g. rice needs lot of water, so they are planted in late summer to early winters and wheat in the second half of the year.

Now whatever we eat, we have to 'pay'... a spiritual cost. I can't explain what the currency is. I don't know how much currency we start with. But I know we pay currency both for plants and animals. Amount of spiritual cost is less for fruits that fall from trees. It is a little more for root plants which we uproot and kill e.g. onion and garlic. It is still more for animals which we kill to eat their meat.

It is about being more economic with your spirituality. How much killing you wish to do? When one starts eating meat, they get attached to its taste (and I believe no one can deny that). So many people feel it is wise to leave meat altogether. Let not come to a point where we find it hard to give up.

My GurSikh friends never harm animals. I remember once we were eating food (on the floor) and a cockroach tried sneaking in. He was not thrashed. One veerji took newspaper, picked it up gently and took him out. There is a Saakhi about a devout Sikh who was blind, just because in his last lifetime as a playful toddler, he had pricked the eyes on an insect with needles. One Sikh of Guru, who was on his way to meet him, took an alternate route, which went around and took a lot of time. When asked why, he said on the way he saw some birds 'resting' in shade near the path, and he didn't wish to disturb them in the afternoon.

If Sikhs and Gurus could care so much for the animals, they won't kill them for food when vegetarian diet is so easily available. Sikhs shouldn't stop eating meat because they will get approval, it will make life pure or something else. They should have a genuine care for life and only then decide. BTW there are so many videos on ill-treatment of animals in butcheries and meat factories which can help you decide how these animals cry for endless minutes before their life is put to end. And they end up on our plates.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

kjsinghhyd
Power User

Postby spiritual peace » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:18 pm

thank you for the time you've given in answering my questions..you've made really good points and explained them very well...

kjsinghhyd wrote:Now whatever we eat, we have to 'pay'... a spiritual cost. I can't explain what the currency is. I don't know how much currency we start with. But I know we pay currency both for plants and animals. Amount of spiritual cost is less for fruits that fall from trees. It is a little more for root plants which we uproot and kill e.g. onion and garlic. It is still more for animals which we kill to eat their meat.

hmm just a little confusion..when you say spiritual cost, what exactly do you mean, will you please elaborate on the term 'spiritual cost' please... what does a low or high spiritual cost give us..the outcome, benefits and downfalls of the high or low rate/level of spiritual cost?

kjsinghhyd wrote:There is a Saakhi about a devout Sikh who was blind, just because in his last lifetime as a playful toddler, he had pricked the eyes on an insect with needles.

so does sikhism teach the belief of reincarnation,if yes then what are the reasons behind the belief..how many lifes do sikhs believe exists and when does the soul go to heaven or hell?
spiritual peace
New User

Postby kjsinghhyd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

What is more costly? A simple Kurta Pyajama or an Achkan with detailed embroidery? Similarly plants are simpler organisms. And animals are complex. Moreover, when an animal dies.. I guess it's body secretes some chemicals.. which stay in the dead meat. When we eat it becomes part of us. In short we are eating the pain the animal felt. Nowadays the animals are kept so unethically, the amount of torture they are subjected to, they don't live healthy at all. So are we ready to consume their worldly pains on top of ours. That is why I feel eating animals has more spiritual cost.

In Sikhism it is said, if in this Human life you fail to meet God.. you will go back into cycle of birth. You will be reborn as all the plants and animals as they are, and after approximately 8.4 million births, you will get human birth and chance to meet God again. There is no mention of hell. A human life lost in Maya is probably hell. For reaching heaven, which is nothing but Waheguru's Darshan.. there are 5 stages (Khands) as told in Japuji Sahib.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

kjsinghhyd
Power User

Next

Return to Health and Wellbeing