Dreadlocks vs. Combed hair

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports

Dreadlocks vs. Combed hair

Postby BeejArt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:13 am

Greetings!
I have been growing my hair out for over a year now since I began to understand the importance of my hair. Before my inner guru led me to recently realize I was a sikh, I had planned on letting my hair just naturally lock up into dreadlocks. Locks are natural, and living natural is important and wonderful. I think it's worth noting that many yogis throughout history and today have worn locks, especially the sadhus.
Now one of the gurus tells us to comb our hair. When your hair is long enough, you can tie the rishi knot and wrap the turban around it to protect it. This sounds like a most beautiful thing and I can't wait to get my first turban and try it. But I'm at a conflicting point in which I'm not sure what to do. My hair is about at the length and messiness to where it's going to start knotting up, and I could also easily comb it and keep it wrapped up. If I keep it combed, I could always just decide to let it go and knot on its own, but if I do that, there's no going back. So, I'd like some wisdom before I make a decision like that.
Unkempt, or Kempt? That is the question.

Much love, Brandon Singh <3
BeejArt
New User

Re: Dreadlocks vs. Combed hair

Postby AussieGori » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:27 am

I believe you should comb it.... simply because the 5Ks consist of a Kanga (comb) for this purpose.... If you ever have the calling from God to take Amrit, you will be required to maintain the 5Ks at all times - including combing your hair and pinning with the Kanga. Sikh also must wash their hair and treat it with reverence, hard to do with dreads I'm afraid....
:-D
AussieGori
New User

Return to Health and Wellbeing