How many witnesses do you need at Sikh Wedding?

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

How many witnesses do you need at Sikh Wedding?

Postby sharon91 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:07 am

Hi,

I want to find out how many witnesses are required at a Sikh Wedding Ceremony.
I wouldn't mind getting married without any guests if possible, or only having the minimal amount of witnesses required.
I have never felt close to my family at home and I wouldn't feel right acting like I have close-knit family on a wedding day.
Would it be possible to have a Sikh Wedding without guests? If not, how many people would have to be invited?
If anyone can let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Just out of curiosity :)
Thanks.

Sharon
sharon91
New User

Re: How many witnesses do you need at Sikh Wedding?

Postby IJJSingh » Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 am

Hi Sharon91,

To my knowledge there are no set rules on number of witnesses required for Anand Karaj (Sikh Wedding). In many jurisdictions the Sikh priest who solemnizes the wedding has the authority of issuing an official document. Depending upon the local laws, there may be a requirement for signatures from a minimum number of witnesses on this document. However, this is a secular legal requirement not a Sikh one.

Anand Karaj is performed in sangat (congregation). There is no expectation on the size of this sangat. People in this sangat do not have to be your relatives, guests or even people who know you. The ceremony doesn't have to be performed in the guruduara you commonly visit, you can arrange to get married in sangat in any guruduara. An ardas is performed at the beginning of the ceremony during which the couple getting married and their parents and/or guardians stand while the rest of the sangat remains seated. If you are getting married where the priest or sangat doesn't know you, It is important that you and your spouse-to-be bring parents or guardians along for this purpose.

I suggest that before arranging the ceremony you should consult the guruduara management if they have any special requirements as to who has to be present during the ceremony.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
IJJSingh
Active Forum User

Return to Relationships