Why are women expected to move in with husband's family?

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

Why are women expected to move in with husband's family?

Post by Guest »

Why are women expected to leave their parents house and live with her husband's family after marriage? If it's simply due to tradition, then why is still an expectation in this day and age. Shouldn't BOTH husband and wife move out on their own and begin their own life together? If not, then why is it frowned upon for having the girl's parents to live with the couple in later old age??

I am so sick and tired of punjabi women these days having to go through a tough time by living with her in-laws, why are punjabi men unable to cut the cord, grow up, and start their own family. Why don't the son's mother back off and realize that once her son is married, his priority should be his wife and his children.

Sure in old age when parents are unable to take care of themselves, then it makes sense to live with them, but even then why can't a girl's parents be taken care of by the couple in addition to the boy's parents or vice versa?

Why must women practically cut off their family for her husband's family? Why doesn't the husband do that?
drake
New User

Re: Why are women expected to move in with husband's family?

Post by drake »

We live in a patriarchal society-it doesn't make any sense, it's just tradition, and people don't want to change it.
classic lurker srs
sikh crew too strong
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

In cultures where couple move in together without In laws is culture where Kids tend to pay for their own education , pay for their own tuition , live independently and pay rent since the age of 18 or even before.

However the Desi culture kids want their parents to not save for old age but pay for everything till they are 30 or so , but once married they want to relinquish the responsibility of aged parents.

On a side note i have seen plenty of punjabi women care of their parents and do stuff for her own parents, whats stopping you ??

Nihal
MarkoMak
New User

Post by MarkoMak »

Myself a 22 year old guy from India. Unlike people of my generation I've had a very different childhood and because of which my thinking doesn't match with my peers. I usually keep to myself.I see people all around me flirting, dating and, these days physical relations are considered very much like normal things like eating or watching TV. This is very much a part of our Punjabi culture these days and Indian culture as well, and disagreeing to it won't make it go away. So We accept it the way it is.
FSL: