Hindu Boy marriage with Sikh Girl

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

Re: Hindu Boy marriage with Sikh Girl

Postby worriedsoul » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 pm

sush89 wrote:I will ready to adopt her faiths but it doesn't mean that i have to forget my religion. We both want to continue our religions.
sush89 wrote: But mine question is about her parents ?? Can they agree to adopt hindu boy ??.

Above quote has contradicting statements. On one hand it is claimed that Sikh faith will be adopted and then it is said that the person is still non-Sikh.

One cannot practice multiple religions at the same time. All religions have different beliefs, otherwise they won't exist. That's how religions are. Anyone following beliefs other than that of Sikhism is obviously not a Sikh and anyone who is a Sikh will follow Sikh beliefs only.

Such marriages will mostly result in dissipation of Sikh Values, unless both partners agree to follow Sikhism only.
worriedsoul
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 am

Dear sush89,
No offense intended but you sound to be confused over religious identities hence confusing the forum.
You did not tell whether you are a Punjabi or not but I guess you are not.
Topic/question/problem here is not about universal brotherhood or oneness of God but about socio-religious identities and social system in Punjab/India. Sikh and Hindu are two different socio-politico-legal identities in terms of religion.

If both of you marry and follow your respective religion/faith then what will your children will be brought up as ? They can not be without a socio-politico-legal identity ! Religious faith/belief/practice and spirituality is different matter. I am a Hindu but I follow Sikhism because my forefathers were formal Sikhs. But that does not qualify me to be called a Sikh in socio-politico-legal terms !
Please think deeply in length and width.
All the best.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

worriedsoul wrote:
sush89 wrote:I will ready to adopt her faiths but it doesn't mean that i have to forget my religion. We both want to continue our religions.
sush89 wrote: But mine question is about her parents ?? Can they agree to adopt hindu boy ??.

Above quote has contradicting statements. On one hand it is claimed that Sikh faith will be adopted and then it is said that the person is still non-Sikh.

One cannot practice multiple religions at the same time. All religions have different beliefs, otherwise they won't exist. That's how religions are. Anyone following beliefs other than that of Sikhism is obviously not a Sikh and anyone who is a Sikh will follow Sikh beliefs only.

Such marriages will mostly result in dissipation of Sikh Values, unless both partners agree to follow Sikhism only.

Why you are considering only one side of the coin ?? i am not saying that she have to practice hinduism or i have to practice Sikhism after marriage. We both are happy in continuing our religion ! So in your point of view People are not allowed to love in inter-religion !

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:05 am

sush89 wrote:Why you are considering only one side of the coin ?? i am not saying that she have to practice hinduism or i have to practice Sikhism after marriage. We both are happy in continuing our religion ! So in your point of view People are not allowed to love in inter-religion !

Then both of you need to be atheist and so will be your children.
Different people in one family can follow different religious practices based on their personal beliefs but they still need to identify themselves with one of the socio-politico-legal identities.
There is no ban on people to fall in love with people of other religions but topic is about level and degree of socio-religious acceptability, possibility, practicability and fallout of inter-religion marriages.
As I said in my first post, it is relatively easier for Punjabi Hindu and Sikh of same/similar/equivalent caste and social status.
All the best.

Moderator Note: Sikhism does not promote casteism.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Romesh Kumar wrote:
sush89 wrote:Why you are considering only one side of the coin ?? i am not saying that she have to practice hinduism or i have to practice Sikhism after marriage. We both are happy in continuing our religion ! So in your point of view People are not allowed to love in inter-religion !

Then both of you need to be atheist and so will be your children.
Different people in one family can follow different religious practices based on their personal beliefs but they still need to identify themselves with one of the socio-politico-legal identities.
There is no ban on people to fall in love with people of other religions but topic is about level and degree of socio-religious acceptability, possibility, practicability and fallout of inter-religion marriages.
As I said in my first post, it is relatively easier for Punjabi Hindu and Sikh of same/similar/equivalent caste and social status.
All the best.

Moderator Note: Sikhism does not promote casteism.

Brother ,

Thank you very much. Appreciated your words.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:14 am

can anyone tell me what is the difference between a sikh and a hindu...?? they both are humans...!! then why can't a sikh and a hindu marry marry each other............ and everyone is saying that this is written in the granth that a sikh should marry a sikh....tell me why u all believe this...?? why a sikh must marry a sikh..???? god didn't made our religion we did..then why we everyone think that this thinking is right??!!! and I am not offending any religion .... just a question!!

Postby Romesh Kumar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 am

Sameerkumar wrote:can anyone tell me what is the difference between a sikh and a hindu...?? they both are humans...!! then why can't a sikh and a hindu marry marry each other............ and everyone is saying that this is written in the granth that a sikh should marry a sikh....tell me why u all believe this...?? why a sikh must marry a sikh..???? god didn't made our religion we did..then why we everyone think that this thinking is right??!!! and I am not offending any religion .... just a question!!

I deeply and fully understand and appreciate your feelings because you are one of those people who believe in universal brotherhood of human race and oneness of the God. All the religions in one way or another preach of the same.
Having said so, I would request you to please tell me why both of us are not Romesh Kumar or Sameer Kumar ? You are intelligent enough to elaborate on whatever answer/s you have in your mind. That will answer all the questions you have raised.
Thanks.

Moderator Note: This discussion forum is about the Sikhs and Sikhi. Only the questions that concern a Sikh [Singh/Kaur] should be addressed here. Any religion, regardless of whether religion was man-made or God-made, is a path. Just as any other path, if you are walking on a path (you are religious) then it is preferable that both marriage partners are on the same path. If you are not then, please carry on this discussion on some other forum, not here. Guru Granth Sahib does not address petty human relationship issues. Thanks for your understanding.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

Romesh Kumar wrote:
Sameerkumar wrote:can anyone tell me what is the difference between a sikh and a hindu...?? they both are humans...!! then why can't a sikh and a hindu marry marry each other............ and everyone is saying that this is written in the granth that a sikh should marry a sikh....tell me why u all believe this...?? why a sikh must marry a sikh..???? god didn't made our religion we did..then why we everyone think that this thinking is right??!!! and I am not offending any religion .... just a question!!

I deeply and fully understand and appreciate your feelings because you are one of those people who believe in universal brotherhood of human race and oneness of the God. All the religions in one way or another preach of the same.
Having said so, I would request you to please tell me why both of us are not Romesh Kumar or Sameer Kumar ? You are intelligent enough to elaborate on whatever answer/s you have in your mind. That will answer all the questions you have raised.
Thanks.

Moderator Note: This discussion forum is about the Sikhs and Sikhi. Only the questions that concern a Sikh [Singh/Kaur] should be addressed here. Any religion, regardless of whether religion was man-made or God-made, is a path. Just as any other path, if you are walking on a path (you are religious) then it is preferable that both marriage partners are on the same path. If you are not then, please carry on this discussion on some other forum, not here. Guru Granth Sahib does not address petty human relationship issues. Thanks for your understanding.

God has made us human beings also called social animals. So naturally and automatically there would be and are social classes of social animals, different religions being ones of them.
Marriage is about match making. Marriage, Vivah, Shadi, Anand Karaj have same (literally) meaning which relates to ‘happiness’.
When we make any match for living and non-living things then many considerations and factors are taken into account to ensure compatibility and smooth running/going. As I said we both may be Kumar but still from different backgrounds and ideologies.
Marriage in Indian culture is not only an union between two male and female adults but also a direct union between two families involving dozens or hundreds of social animals. As such more and more similarities are considered as assurance of more and more compatibility thereby smooth and ‘happy’ going in life. Along the same lines, religious faith is closely related to social animals and religion has become a social class and major factor in compatibility for match making in nearly all the cultures of world. Different religions for the people who follow are necessarily not better, worse, superior or inferior but definitely different ensuring less compatibility in match making and furtherance. As such I am of the opinion that inter-faith matrimonial alliance should be avoided if avoidable. In some cases it is not avoidable based on preferences, suitability, situation and level, status and type of relation which is a quite different scenario.
Thanks
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:43 am

ok then sir tell me by your heart what would you have done if you were fallen in love with a Sikh girl....what would you then say (just suppose,,,don't wanna hurt ur feelings I apologize in advance) ?? do you really think that love is a curse?? Or we can't love anyone from outside the religion?? I know whatever discussion we are doing is just in vain we all know that anyone can love and marry anybody in the world....if the two persons and their family is satisfied...!!! Think and say what your heart says!!

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Sameerkumar wrote:ok then sir tell me by your heart what would you have done if you were fallen in love with a Sikh girl....what would you then say (just suppose,,,don't wanna hurt ur feelings I apologize in advance) ?? do you really think that love is a curse?? Or we can't love anyone from outside the religion?? I know whatever discussion we are doing is just in vain we all know that anyone can love and marry anybody in the world....if the two persons and their family is satisfied...!!! Think and say what your heart says!!

Dear sameerkumar,
My immediate above post apply to social norms under normal circumstances.
Love is at all not a curse and it has no political, social, economic or religious boundaries.
That is why inter-religious marriages are not uncommon occurrences.
Thanks with best wishes.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

PreviousNext

Return to Relationships