Meat & Alcohol in House

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

Meat & Alcohol in House

Postby Jag008 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 am

Hello all,

I am currently in a serious dilemma. I have been married for almost 2 years and my wife is a vegetarian and does not drink alcohol. I on the other hand am a meat eater and do drink (albeit not very often)

We are now looking to move out form my parents house and she has stated that she doesn't want any meat and alcohol allowed in our new house. We have come to many arguments on this topic and cannot find any compromise or resolution.

She states that the house will not be pure and will be 'tainted'. She wants to do a Sukhmani Sahib Paath when we get our house and says that if meat and alcohol are to be consumed then there is no point in doing the Paath.

She says that her compromise is that I go to my mums house to cook and eat meat otherwise if we cannot reach a compromise we are to go our separate ways.

I feel as though my choice is being taken away from me and I am being backed into a corner.
Surely I should have the right to do what i want in my own house?

I am not asking her to consume the meat so why does she still say that she will be committing a sin if she allows it in the house?
Jag008
New User

Re: Meat & Alcohol in House

Postby RicktheSikh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am

Sin is in the eye of the beholder. Clearly your wife will not be happy with meat and alcohol in the house because she feels that it would be a sin. I ask you, why would you put your wife in this position? Is having alcohol and meat in the house that important to you or is it "a matter of principle"? Are you reluctant to allow your wife to have her way in "your" house? Yes, you can do whatever you like in your own house. Is it worth It? You have a spiritually-minded woman as your wife. This is a blessing. Drink alcohol outside, cook meat outside. Make your wife happy. That is the true victory, not winning this dispute. Happy wife=happy life.
RicktheSikh
New User

Re: Meat & Alcohol in House

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:04 am

RicktheSikh wrote:Sin is in the eye of the beholder. Clearly your wife will not be happy with meat and alcohol in the house because she feels that it would be a sin. I ask you, why would you put your wife in this position? Is having alcohol and meat in the house that important to you or is it "a matter of principle"? Are you reluctant to allow your wife to have her way in "your" house? Yes, you can do whatever you like in your own house. Is it worth It? You have a spiritually-minded woman as your wife. This is a blessing. Drink alcohol outside, cook meat outside. Make your wife happy. That is the true victory, not winning this dispute. Happy wife=happy life.

Very well said.
Thanks.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Return to Relationships