Khalistan, a reality or a shambles?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
rayjay
Active Forum User

Khalistan, a reality or a shambles?

Post by rayjay »

HI everyone,
As a sikh i think it is important that the sikhs have a homeland we can call our own since our Gurus sacrificed and faught so much for our freedom, rights and our land, Punjab, which we have now lost to India and Pakistan. We all need a nation and sikhs, for a proud and militant race with a noble history still do not have one yet.

Currently the only option on the table is the Idea of a Khalistan which upon closer inspection seems like a hastily put together Idea in desperation to get a sort of a consolation prize. In my opinion it holds no value and I wanted to know what other intellectual Sikhs thought about it as currently it seems as though the driving force behind the notion of Khalistan is very disorganised and poorly thought out.

Please share with me your thoughts, do you think Khalistan is an acheivable or realistic goal?

Here are my reasons for critisizing the notion of Khalistan:

Punjab is the Sikh homeland and it is here where our religion was born. Sikhism grew to popularity in Punjab in the 16th century in opposition to the Mughal rulers policy for the entire population to submit to Islam. Historically Sikhs resisted forced conversion and faught to defend other religios groups from persecution and submission to Islam also and eventually overthrew the mughal rulers. Punjab was then ruled under sikhs as a secular nation and under the principles of sikh teachings where all faiths and creeds were treated equally and in turn was revered by muslims, hindu's and sikhs alike. So why would sikhs now demand a small portion of Punjab as a country for only Sikhs? This would surely contradict the guru granth sahib which preaches co-existence and tolerence for other religions.

When I think of a Sikh nation, I think of the pride of sikhism. An impressive reflection of Sikh values such as tolerence and freedom which would breed a vibrant, clean, non-currupt, multinational/cultural democratic country consisting of beautiful buildings and beautiful statues.

I hardly think a sikh-only country demanded by narrow minded individuals will be able to acheive this since there will not be a diverse enough population to draw from in order to progress economic, social and urban development.

Sikhs have a legitimate claim to the Whole of the Punjab. The fact that a minority of Punjabi's are sikhs does not mean we cannot claim the whole of Indian Punjab. A sikh country does not mean Sikh-only country, the fact there are many Hindu and Muslim punjabis in India does not mean that they will object to a sikh state if it was secular. I beleive Khalistan will be rejected by the non sikhs but an Independant Punjab has more validity and will be accepted by sikhs and non sikhs alike and therefore increasing the prospect of the state being created. Punjab IS the Sikh homeland PERIOD. An independant Punjab, The Republic of Punjab, will be the Sikh nation which in line with Sikhism will be democratic and secular for all Punjabi, and non punjabi, peoples.

I wanted to bring these things to light and start a discussion with real sikh intellectuals rather than with the ignorant people who are mindlessly calling for a Khalistan. I started a Facebook page to make people more aware of these issues if you'd like to support it please like or share it, link is as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Repu ... 7095799974

thank you, I'll look forward to hearing your responses!
AS Khalsa
Power User

Re: Khalistan, a reality or a shambles?

Post by AS Khalsa »

The notion of Khalistan is narrow and incorrigibly idealistic. Should this sovereign Sikh nation come into existence, it would be sandwiched between two hostile nuclear powers, India and Pakistan.

The reason Punjab is so wealthy is because its inhabitants sell agricultural produce to the rest of India. Should they find themselves in a Khalistan, they will no longer be able to make money by selling their grain to the other denizens of Hindustan. They could ship their product overseas, but of course, Khalistan will be a landlocked country, and so exporting, and importing, will be virtually impossible. Over time, the Sikhs will slip further and further into a mire of poverty, unable to profit from their agriculture, the backbone of Punjabi society. We need access to the oceans, and only India is able to provide this.

Besides, division of land on the basis of religion is wrong. Pakistan should never have come into being. Its very existence is a slap in the face of integration and Hindu-Muslim unity.

I fear that the Sikh community has no suitable leaders for this proposed sovereign nation. On the one hand we have corrupt sellouts like Badal, who shirk the values of Sikhism, and on the other, we have fanatical theocrats, not dissimilar from the clerics who dominate the Islamic republic of Saudi Arabia. If the former come to power, we will face the dissolution of Sikh values, if the latter, and perhaps more dangerous, establish a foothold, we can expect Rehat Police, the enforcement of religious doctrine.

Khalistan is a terrible idea.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

Not feasible (geographically).
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Post by Jaybee »

While I am convinced that the Sikhs of India are much better off REMAINING Indian, I don't think a theoretical Khalistan would be a disaster. From what I have observed, you Sikhs seem to be an industrious and resourceful people. While you don't quite the possess the business acumen of the Gujarati's or Jain's, you make up in sheer work ethic.

I don't think you will allow being landlocked to stop economic growth; Switzerland is landlocked, and she is still wealthier per capita than the 3 large powers that surround her. Likewise , being surrounded by large, hostile neighbours hasn't stopped Israel prospering enormously, her GNP per capita still dwarfs any of her Arab neighbours.

Still, as I said, the Sikhs will soon be a integral part of an economy that, in a few decades, will be larger the the US or EU. You would be wise to stay a member of the family....
One God.
VeeruS
Power User

Post by VeeruS »

I hope it's for real and I hope all of the hardliners are forced to live there. At least that will be one less threat to the rest of the people.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

VeeruS wrote:I hope it's for real and I hope all of the hardliners are forced to live there. At least that will be one less threat to the rest of the people.
Good morning. Your comments made me to laugh.
khalistan itself is a joke (in my views).
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

AS Khalsa wrote:The notion of Khalistan is narrow and incorrigibly idealistic. Should this sovereign Sikh nation come into existence, it would be sandwiched between two hostile nuclear powers, India and Pakistan.
and China and disputed/disturbed J&K as well. This region is known as one of the most volatile regions in the world.
VeeruS
Power User

Post by VeeruS »

khalistan itself is a joke (in my views).
Obviously, it isn't joke as it has caused killing of many innocent people and the govt has used it to kill many innocent people.
rayjay
Active Forum User

Post by rayjay »

I agree that the Idea of Khalistan is a joke but an Independant soverign nation Of East Punjab, Republic of Punjab, is not.
A Punjabi republic will have central governmet in India not dissimilar to Scotland having government in the UK but is still distinguished as a Seperate country from England alltogether.

I think that Punjab should be recognised as a seperaate country from India. I think Sikhs should be able to distinguish ourselves from other Indians on basis of ethnicity, religion, culture and country. Punjabi is an Identity which we have every right to preserve and Punjab is the Land that is rightfully ours. I don't think it will suffer in any way as long as we maintain association with india, like Nepal and Bhutan who have economic and Military ties with India. We deserve a country to call our own! We are not Indian/Hindustani!

Oh and please Check out my Facebook page if you want to suppport the Punjabi National Identity. I plan to update it regularly:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Repu ... 974?ref=hl
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Post by Jaybee »

rayjay wrote:I agree that the Idea of Khalistan is a joke but an Independant soverign nation Of East Punjab, Republic of Punjab, is not.
A Punjabi republic will have central governmet in India not dissimilar to Scotland having government in the UK but is still distinguished as a Seperate country from England alltogether.

I think that Punjab should be recognised as a seperaate country from India. I think Sikhs should be able to distinguish ourselves from other Indians on basis of ethnicity, religion, culture and country. Punjabi is an Identity which we have every right to preserve and Punjab is the Land that is rightfully ours. I don't think it will suffer in any way as long as we maintain association with india, like Nepal and Bhutan who have economic and Military ties with India. We deserve a country to call our own! We are not Indian/Hindustani!
Oh yes you are, and we all are proud that you are. India is comprised of dozens of separate equally represented identities; Gujarati, Tamil, Punjabi, the list goes on. All religions are recognised in India. We range in colour from blacker than most Africans, to whiter than some Russians. Some Indians have blue eyes. Some have oriental features. Our nation will soon by an global HYPERPOWER. Three decades ago we were a filthy, timid alley-cat looking up. In three decades we shall be a roaring tiger atop the mountain. Detach, and your economic growth will be half of ours. You'll have to pay taxes to access the biggest markets in the world. Is having the ability to sort out your own headaches worth throwing away? You already HAVE an association with India, you have protection by her nuclear deterrent against Pakistani aggression. You won't have that guaranteed if you leave.

Don't finish the job the British started. We are a family. You're better off with us, and we are better off with you.
One God.